• Tweets

• Ok, so just been to see my friend, she still has her head firmly in the sand and had a pile of unopened post, thankfully nothing serious apart from this case!    In answer to your question it says N24 General Directions Order at the bottom of the page, then on page 2 where the line says "As a result of an order made on the 1 May 2024, this claim has been transferred to the county court at ##### (friends local court) " this is N271 Notice of transfer of proceedings.  Within the stack of letters I found 2 from Kearns Solicitors,    02-12-2022 Document pack with covering letter stating under the s78 CCA please see enclosed  1) A copy of the executed Credit Agreement, 2)  A copy of the terms & conditions 3) A copy of the varied terms & conditions applicable at termination / assignment, and  4) A statement regarding the conduct of your account as requested by s78(1)(a) to (c)  (Would you like me to describe the documents attached?)   18-02-2023 Generic letter asking for her to contact them to discuss settlement or they will take to court for further legal action. 
    • well you made the cardinal sin by phoning these scammers at least once so their persistence could go on. however you are new so there you go. you never ever ever phone any of these likes of scammers on these fake schemes that seem plausible.  just like a DCA chasing any old debt .. they are NOT BAILIFFS and have  ZERO legal powers to actually do anything. dx  
    • Okay understood now just based on personal experience how long does this go on for 
    • civil recovery schemes run by the likes of RLP DWF etc etc are a scam. totally IGNORE EVERYTHING. no if's or but's dx  
    • I’m 17 years old and Received 2 letters from dwf with my name spelt wrong and they are asking for for £230.40. I rang dwf civil recovery the first time upon taking advice from citizens advice to explain to delay to deadline as I was in the process of receiving advice which wasn’t much help. When that deadline was done I then called again to delay the deadline as I’m struggling financially and it’s lot of money they are asking for and I tried to dispute the cost to which they said okay we will delay it another 7 days for you to dispute the cost but I asked them how do I dispute this to you or Sainsbury’s and they said “we can’t advise you on this matter” I’ve read a lot of threads saying to ignore them but I was unsure now as I’ve made contact and have tried to dispute the payment and pay it which might mean I have admitted. Would they just persist harder and take me to court eventually or file for a ccj.   I would like to ignore them still but I would like to send a strong email so they know I’m clued up and then ignore them. I also want to pay the reasonable amount and get this matter solved. any advice on the law or similar situations are helpful when I called them I asked for an itemised bill. £101 stolen goods  ( supposedly caught me because they watched me on cctv over the duration of the week) also why did they not stop me in the first day. £20.40 recovered goods £150 security costs     Thank you 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Please help a dear trusted friend - Benefit fraud Interview under caution this week.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3897 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm very worried about a friend I trust and respect that has received a letter for an interview under caution for this coming Wednesday. My friend doesn't want friends or family to know what has happened and at this stage probably wouldn't be happy about me asking for advice, so out of respect I don’t want to give to much away about his identify.

Sorry I hadn't intended for this to be a long post but thought I should give as much info about him as possible so you can better understand why I’m so worried..

I don’t know what benefit he is on, I don’t want to appear nosy by asking but I don’t think he knows because when we talked about it he said he’s not to sure because he also now gets a government retirement pension. If you didn't know him you would probably think he is being evasive.

My friend phoned citizens advice but wasn't given any advice other than being directed to benefit fraud on the CAB website. From what I gather my friend got the distinct impression you have broken the law get on with it!. My friend “Who I will now call Fred" admits he would probably feel the same way..

Fred is in his 60s and did not deliberately set about to defraud anyone, truly its not in his nature, Fred was on benefits when a parent passed away and money was lodged into his bank account for himself & some for a third party to be given to that person in several years time when the beneficiary is older but Fred doesn't have any proof.

Fred didn't think to notify work and pensions and cancel the benefit. He said it didn't register in his mind he completely forgot he was on benefit. He hasn't deliberately tried to hide anything but understands people won’t believe him & will judge him.

Should Fred phone them now and ask for the benefit to be stopped today or wait for the interview?.

Fred thinks he should because he is now aware he is not entitled to benefit. Fred would like to offer to pay back what he owes which would amount to approximately three years of overpayment. Fred says the benefit officers will not believe him and expects the worse but he is prepared for it and would be better than the life he is living at the moment. “This is very unlike the Fred I knew a few years ago who would be prepared to give a fight. It is clear to see he has lost his way in life.

Fred as had a very difficult time over the last several years because of deteriorating health and loosing family and friends etc.. My friend as become more and more distant and depressed over the last few years suffering with memory loss and being more and more vacant when you talk to him he is often on another planet and believes he has the same disease has the parent that passed away after years of terrible suffering. I think it was Alzheimer's or dementia?. . Fred looked after his parent for many years and witnessed lots of suffering.

Fred has several major and perhaps life threatening health problems and because of circumstances and pain, as become addicted to very powerful prescribed medications.

Fred seems to be in a never ending spiral where one day runs into the next. If you knew Fred as I do you would understand he would never deliberately break the law he is a Royalist and loves his country and its laws. I'm very worried about him because he will not go to a solicitor and believes know one will believe him so accepts what happens. “So unlike Fred..

Can someone make any suggestions?.. But firstly should he notify work & pensions before the interview and stop the claim?..

Perhaps I should try and give you all a rundown on how I see my friend; why I don’t think he should be alone on the interview. I won’t go into all the whys and wherefores we would be here all day!. My friend as helped me and many other people over the years he is so honest and kind you wouldn't find a better friend. I have been worried about him for some time now but it’s not always easy talking to a friend. Not so many years ago he would never be late for an appointment. We have mutual friends that are magistrates and I remember a few years ago over dinner people saying and agreeing how good a magistrate he would make. “Not any more he forgets things!. To give you an idea what he is like now, “Fred what time is it? Errr, “errr “Fred would look at you with a blank distant look as if I had asked a really difficult question. He sometimes forgets dates & times, He looks as if something is always on his mind often staring into space. You can explain the simplest thing and he won’t grasp it, he can get half way through a sentence & forgets what he was saying. He will jump at the slightest thing. He was always out and about; He used to be very well dressed.

Fred doesn't have a partner I can approach and I don’t know his family well enough, in anycase he doesn't want to involve anyone so I’m at a loss as to how I can help. I would offer to go on the interview with him but I’m away all this week.

Thanks to anyone that may give advice.

Hello and welcome to CAG.

It's kind of you to think of helping your friend, but if you don't think he wants advice from you, I don't quite understand how we can help. Forgive me if I'm being thick.

The best people to help would be a solicitor, CAB, Welfare Rights [somtimes with CAB these days], or possibly a community legal centre. Although it sounds as if some or all of those may not work if your friend doesn't want to consult.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Pleasehelpafriend, as he touched any of the capital that he holds in trust. Who is the money being held for. Could they provide a statement to say that by verbal agreement and to comply with the Wishes of Freds parent that fred was holding the money in trust. Fred appears to have a number of both Physical and mental problems as he been assessed in anyway I.E by Doctors, Care workers etc to back up your claim that he as some form of dementia. Could one of your mutual friends that is a magistrate give him some help. The biggest question can Fred be persuaded that he needs help without his cooperation any advise given here would be futile.

Agree that if he's not amenable to taking advice there's not a lot any of us can do. However, if he will listen, my first advice would be that he write to the DWP office asking to postpone the interview while he seeks professional advice. He's quite within his rights to do this. But note - the letter should contain only a request for the delay, he should not say anything else or attempt any explanations at that point.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm at a loss as to what to do to help. He is a very good friend and I will help all I can, he deserves it and has helped many people including me over the years. Surly that's what friends are for? I will phone him later and try and get him to accept help. Should he be honest now and say he is not entitled to the benefit or should he say nothing util if or when he gets legal advice? Perhaps I should encourage him to cancel the appointment until he gets legal advice.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. No Fred as not touched the capital other than what was left to him. Yes the other beneficiary does know they have inherited money. Fred will get the results of a ct scan over the next few days he as many health problems and as had numerous tests over the last year. I did ask him if he has mentioned dementia to a health care professional he often tries to make lite of it in front of some friends, but says he cant remember! He would be to embarrassed to ask help from the mutual magistrate friends.

Fred plans to go to the interview and admit he should have notified them but forgot

If he plans to go to the IUC and admit guilt, he should ideally take legal advice before he does so. Also, anything he can gather to show that that some of the money is not intended for his use and he is respecting that would probably help a bit. It would be more of a mitigating factor than a defence, especially since the money is simply sitting in his account and not in a legally constituted trust.

But as my signature says, I am not a lawyer and that's why I would strongly suggest he speaks to a solicitor experienced in benefit matters, even if, in the end, he goes ahead with his plan to admit that it's his fault.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thank you and others for the kind advice. I have spoken to Fred saying I had taken some advice. He will be going to the interview under caution. He plans to tell them the truth no point in altering the truth and cant see how admitting the truth can be harmful in any way.

I can understand Fred wanting to get this over and done with as soon as possible; dragging it out will not help his deteriorating health. Fred really has had it rough and fears the worse regarding a diagnosis of one of his ailments. He gets the results of the CT scan over the next few days

Fred hopes by being honest they won’t take it to court. He plans to tell them he didn't think to notify them but will offer to pay them back with a lump sum along with a payment plan. . He will also tell them, that half of the money is for another beneficiary but Fred is still over any thresholds with an original amount of about 30k each. Fred says he will say know more than this and will probably see a lawyer after the interview when he knows what he is facing.

Fred is a little worried that they might try to trick him; he is also worried they may get very nasty with him.

My questions are..

1) Should he phone now to cancel his benefit or wait until he goes to the interview?

2) What are the thresholds of savings?

3) Is there anything he shouldn’t say?

4) Can he legally tell them the above and refuse to answer any other questions without a lawyer being present?. He may say more depending on the questions and on how they talk to him. He will try not to incriminate himself by telling only the truth.

5) What is the likely outcome of an interview under caution, and is it likely to go to court?

6) Will they try and trick him and get nasty with him?.

Thank you all once again for all the kind advice.

Hi, your questions need someone with far more experience than I. A lot of the advisor's on this forum have day jobs, so please be patient, someone I am sure will get back to you.

He should phone now to cancel the appointment and rearrange another date. Please do this as a prority.

Thanks for your very kind reply and for taking the time to advice my friend. I will be speaking to him this evening and will ask him to reconsider cancelling the appointment. He admits he should have notified them and believes if he is honest and tells the truth “what does he have to loose?.

How differently can a lawyer answer but truthfully. So that I can try advising my friend to get legal advice can you please explain what difference does it make if he only admits he should have notified them and offers to pay them back. But says he won’t answer any other questions until he has taken legal advice. He thinks rightly or wrongly if he takes a lawyer its like saying you have something to hide.

Fred really is very worried not only about this but his health and other issues and just wants to put an end to this because he believes dragging it out will only make his health conditions worse. Since he received the letter he has been unable to eat and sleep.

I mistakenly though the interview was later in the week but that’s for a medical issue the interview under caution is tomorrow so little time left.

Thankyou.

The very best advice I would give is for him to attend and to be totally honest. It is very likely that the investigators will have secured all the evidence they need, so there is little point in him lying, or being awkward. If he is totally honest in his IUC, it will go in his favour. If he attends the IUC voluntarily, he will not be under arrest, so can leave whenever he likes, and if, during the IUC he feels he does need legal advice, then he can request that it is suspended until such time as he obtains legal advice.

One advantage of taking a solicitor is that he can obtain 'disclosure' prior to the IUC, and see what evidence is going to be used in the IUC. In cases involving capital, it is easy to obtain bank details etc, so this is most likely the evidence that they have anyway.

Thanks for your advice I tend to agree with you my friend is understandably at his wits-end and has enough to worry about. It’s not like he deliberately tried to hide the money or used a false name or even had it stashed under his pillow. Forgetting something isn't much of a defense bit it is the truth and he does have mitigating circumstances to back up his bad memory.

He has had an horrendous past 4 or 5 years. I'm sure if things carry on as they have he will have a breakdown of some sort. He was literally shaking and stammering the last time I spoke to him.

Thank-you.

I'll write more in a moment, but I just wanted to point out that Fred should not wait until after the IUC to seek legal advice - he should cancel and seek advice now. There's no sense in waiting until he finds out "what he is facing" because this will depend heavily on what happens at the interview.

Thanks for your advice but Fred's appointment is tomorrow and he believes if he comes clean admits he failed to notify and cancel his benefit whilst he has a chance and to explain things before being arrested and charged. The simple fact of the matter is he didn't even think about benefit payments and they obliviously know his capital is above the allowed amount. Fred now knows this and would be breaking the law if he didn't notify them of this fact.

Please see the post above from bio. He explains why he thinks its a good idea to go keep the interview.

Can you please underline why he should cancel the appointment and any benefit this would have because they already know he should have canceled his benefit.

I will be speaking with Fred later this evening.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I agree with Bio on the point that using a solicitor will assist because he can obtain disclosure, but bear in mind that he or she was writing when we thought the interview was next week. Now, no-one has suggested that he completely not attend the interview, and I'm certainly not doing that either. But he is entitled to postpone the interview to seek advice and as long as he contacts them (by phone, now, given the timescale involved) before the interview then he will not be arrested - they'll just give him a new date and time.

So that's the basic reason why I suggest he postpones and seeks advice - he has mitigating circumstances and could benefit from the help of a professional. And if, in the end, that professional advises him to go ahead and tell all at the IUC, then fine. My point above was that the time to seek advice is before, not after, the IUC.

Sorry, meant to add - I can't help with whether or not he should cancel his claim as I don't know what benefit he is on and that is crucial information. It's also crucial information for advising about savings/capital limits.

Thanks again for your kind reply. The appointment as always been this week I had originally stated it was for this Wednesday, which is today but it’s for tomorrow Thursday a day later than I had originally stated.

Unfortunately I don't know what benefits he is on but surely we are talking about a point of law, you are either paid benefit when you are not entitled or not. He should have notified the authorities that he is no longer entitled to benefit. Unfortunately he simply didn’t think about it.

What are the benefits of keeping the appointment, what are the benefits of not keeping the appointment?.

My friend did contact citizen’s advice but the person he spoke to wasn’t very helpful. He also phoned a firm of solicitors but the person able to help was on his/her annual leave.

Thank you once more for help.

the advantage in postponing an IUC is to allow him to seek professional legal advice

in "Fred's" situation, a solicitor can help him prepare a statement along the lines of

since receiving the IUC letter, Fred has realised that he may not be entitled to "insert name of benefit(s)", prior to the letter he was not aware that he might not have been entitled to said benefit, his comprehension/understanding of the situation has been impeded by "insert medical condition"

although he accepts that he may no longer entitled to "insert name of benefit(s)", Fred would like to emphasise that any overpayment was not as a result of dishonest intent n his behalf, but rather his difficulties in understanding the complexities of the social security system

Fred is willing to make arrangements to repay any amounts due, however would ask that further sanction action not be applied on the basis of his age, medical conditions, previous good character and the fact that any sanction action would not satisfy the condition of being in the public interest

et cetera

it is difficult to give further advice without knowing more detail

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

1) Should he phone now to cancel his benefit or wait until he goes to the interview?

2) What are the thresholds of savings?

3) Is there anything he shouldn’t say?

4) Can he legally tell them the above and refuse to answer any other questions without a lawyer being present?. He may say more depending on the questions and on how they talk to him. He will try not to incriminate himself by telling only the truth.

5) What is the likely outcome of an interview under caution, and is it likely to go to court?

6) Will they try and trick him and get nasty with him?.

Well, it's late now and I don't know what he's decided to do. But for what it's worth:

1) Can't answer that. If Jabba Jones is correct and he's on State Pension Credit, we'd need more information. Personally, I wouldn't bother now, but that's just what I'd do and not any kind of legal opinion. It's just that, well, they obviously already know about the situation. He should not say or do anything without seeking advice - which is why he should rearrange the interview.

2) If it is State Pension Credit, then savings below £10,000 are ignored. £1 is deducted from his weekly entitlement for every £500 (or part thereof) that he has above that amount. There is no maximum threshold for SPC. There is for other benefits.

3) He shouldn't say anything at all without talking to a lawyer. We're not legally qualified, which is why we're emphatically stating that he should speak to someone who is. If he chooses not to postpone the interview as advised, no-one here is in a position to tell him what he should or should not say: we have neither the training nor the necessary background information.

4) He can decline to answer the questions, or read out a prepared statement and then say nothing more other than "no comment". The caution is along the lines of "you are not obliged to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention something which you later rely on in court." He can leave the interview at any time. Whether doing any of these things is wise is something to be discussed with a lawyer.

5) The outcome will depend on what he says (if anything) and whether there are any mitigating factors if he admits guilt. Coherently presenting his mitigation is the main reason he should postpone and seek legal advice. Also relevant will be the amount of the overpayment. They could decide to drop the criminal matter entirely, and merely seek repayment. They could offer a deal known as an "Administrative Penalty", where he agrees to pay 30% extra in exchange for not being prosecuted. He does not have to accept this deal. Or, of course, they could prosecute. Mitigating factors might affect this, which is why he should postpone and seek legal advice.

6) They are not supposed to "get nasty", but they are seeking evidence about a possible crime. So while they (probably) won't go all "good cop, bad cop" on him, they should not be regarded as his friends. They're not his enemies either, they're just people doing a job. But he should seek legal advice because a good lawyer will know how to handle the situation.

See the common theme here? He should postpone and seek advice, even if he intends to admit guilt. I can't stress this enough.