Housing Benefit Fraud Inteview.

Giraffe77
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3948 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya,

I hope someone can help.

I have been claiming housing benefit for a couple of years with no problem. I started a Social Work degree last September 2012 for which I was entitled to a NHS bursary. I had absolutely no idea I had to tell housing benefit about this. I got a letter in June saying they had been informed I was doing a degree and gave me a form to fill in. I did this promptly and sent in all bursary information. I was told i'd been overpayed by £1900 and I had to pay it back which was I agreed with.

I was still entitled to some HB so it was going to be deducted form that. They then made a mistake and said I was no longer entitled to any HB and I had to start a payment plan for the overpayment. I spoke to them and I had to send in more info about my income and they put the over payment on hold untill a new decision was made.

I am still awaiting the decision on whether I get HB, but I got a letter today saying I have to go to interview under caution for fraud as I did not inform them of the NHS bursary. I didn't inform them but I genuinely didn't realise I had too. I didn't realise it was classed as a 'wage' as its to help me study for my degree. I agree this in hindsight was very naïve of me.

I'm terrified I will get a conviction as I will not be able to continue my degree and become a social worker.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dont worry life will be fine... No convictions :)

Now it depends how you play this... It depends how cooperative you are... i get the feeling you are being very cooperative with them with regards to this and this should work in your favour.

Go to the interview and see what happens and what they ask you... Hell, they will allow you to keep to a payment plan to reduce the over-payments.

Giraffe, it's not just 'wages' you need to declare, it is ANY income at all so yes, you were naive. But as said above, just go to the IUC and be honest. They are highly unlikely to take you to court for any such low amount, especially if you acknowledge the overpayment and agree repayments. Even if they cautioned you, it is a civil caution and not a legal one and won't show up on your dbs check.