employer withholding overtime payment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3916 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

wondering if anyone can give me some advice on an issue I have at the moment

I have been told today that I will not receive my overtime pay from july in my august pay due to a mistake made by my regional manager and will now receive it in September instead

my question is can my employer withhold this pay for another month

they are saying that nothing can be done as the cut off time for pay has passed

but bear in mind that today is the 16th and I don't get paid until the 28th

I find it hard to believe that this cannot be rectified in time for pay day

any advice anyone can offer will be much appreciated

Hi thanks for your response

Contract doesn't state when overtime will be paid

under pay section it says " salary will be paid in arrears on 28th each month"

and under overtime section just basically says "you may be required to do overtime on occasion, overt time will be paid at basic rate up to 37.5 hours and time and a half for any hours thereafter"

so does this mean they can pick and choose when to pay it as they have not stated when they will pay it

Well, they'd need to pay within a "reasonable time", but it does mean you cant really insist on a set date.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

thank you for replying

what would be considered a reasonable amount of time?

I worked the overtime in july and would ordinarily receive the payment for this at the end of august but because of somebody making a mistake will now not receive it until end of September, to wait that long sounds unreasonable to me

i have incurred extra expenses to work this overtime, extra travel costs, lunch costs etc

i have also worked a lot of overtime in august which i should receive in september

also payday is still 11 days away, surely that would be enough time for a company to rectify a problem like this

You could lodge a grievance, and may even be able to make a case (tentatively) that the failure to pay the overtime represents an unlawful deduction, however the net result of that might well be that any future overtime is in short supply.

Probably best to put this down to a rather annoying error on this occasion unless it starts to become a regular problem

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!