• Tweets

• In my experience (not with car payments) but with many other things, my partner has been ill and signed off in the past and we have been unable to meet various commitments.  Naturally if you ring the call centre they are going to fob you off and tell you you must pay, that's why that never ever works. I would obtain a note from her GP listing all her health issues plus medications plus side effects, then write to the finance company with a copy of it, explaining the situation, as you have here, asking for a payment holiday. Perhaps mention that the car is very much needed for hospital appointments etc. It's likely the finance company would rather you pay till term end than, chase you for money they will never see, and sell the car at auction for a loss,  You can search some of my threads going back years, advising people to do this for Council Tax, Tax Credits, HMRC, Even a solicitors company and it always works, because contrary to popular belief people are reasonable.
    • Sorry, I haven't ever seen one of these agreements. Read it all and look out for anything that says when she can withdraw and when she is committed to go ahead. If it isn't clear she may need to call the housing provider and simply say what you posted here, she doesn't want to go ahead and how does she withdraw her swap application?
    • Thank you! Your head is like a power bank of knowledge.  Her health issues are short term, due to a relationship breakdown she took it pretty hard and has been signed off work on medication for 3 months. She only started her job in February 24 so does not qualify for any occupational sick benefits, which is where the ssp only comes in. (You will see me posting a few things over the coming days, whilst I try and sort some things for her)  I sat with her last night relaying all this back and she does want to work out a plan, she was ready to propose £100 for the next 3 months and then an additional £70 per month onto of her contractual to "catch up" but Money247 rejecting the payment holiday and demanding £200 thew her, which is why I came on here.   
    • I've looked at your case specifically more.   Term 8bii reads " when, in accordance with instructions from the Customer or the Consignee, the Consignment is left in a safe place" Their terms choose to not define safe, so they are put to proof that the location is safe. If your property opens onto a street its a simple thing of putting a google earth image and pointing out that its not a safe place
    • New rules and higher rates resulted in a jump in the number of savers opening accounts at the start of this year's Isa season.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Post Work Programme Questions

scaredonjsa
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3728 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have a Jobs Fair in town next October, they have one ever so often, never taken much notice, i've been to a few, but wasn't much help...but this time...it's mandatory...how does that work exactly?

Jobs Fairs are no problem.. once you accept that there's rarely - if ever - any actual jobs going there. Just a collection of businesses and companies who may be opening in your area and all they'll do is just take your CV and a few details and 'get back to you'. I'd be extremely surprised if they offered you any interview appointments there and then. Don't hold your breath that they'll even get back to you!

What you have to do is get plenty of evidence that you attended; get business cards and leaflets from as many as you can and give your CV to a few of the more decent ones. Make sure you have something to show the JC advisor as they will ask what you did there. Last job fair I was at there was a stand from the DWP so I got one of them to sign a sheet saying I had attended, with the date and time. Always cover your back.

45 mins walk round should be enough time to hand out a few CV's and get some paperwork back as proof...but of course you tell the JC you spent a few worthwhile hours there :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 mins walk round should be enough time to hand out a few CV's and get some paperwork back as proof...but of course you tell the JC you spent a few worthless hours there :)

The last time I had to visit a jobfair, it was a mix of part time retail, zero hour agency, or cannon fodder (army) with a JCP booth at the entrance. Sign in at the JCP desk, wander round asking a few (im)pertinent question, and then head out the door. Looks like this is a national event, so I may just go to the local one at the end of the month and see if I can ruffle a few feathers :madgrin: - The worse they can do is ask me to leave (politely).

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I had my first interview after wp and i have to apply for 10 jobs per week until i have a ujm set up then he said he gave me a jsd to attend at least 2 sessions with the "out reach team" at my local library and when i went today it was a guy frm the national carreers advice service and one guy who works part time in my jcp an plonked at least 100 print outs frm jcp jobpoints and also helpd me load my cv onto uj an brief explanation how to use it next week he said once im up an going to the out reach team he wants 20-25 actions to find work each week these can include search local newspapers, actual jobs applied for using uj and other sites also random c.v drops

TJR JNR

I had my first interview after wp and i have to apply for 10 jobs per week until i have a ujm set up then he said he gave me a jsd to attend at least 2 sessions with the "out reach team" at my local library and when i went today it was a guy frm the national carreers advice service and one guy who works part time in my jcp an plonked at least 100 print outs frm jcp jobpoints and also helpd me load my cv onto uj an brief explanation how to use it next week he said once im up an going to the out reach team he wants 20-25 actions to find work each week these can include search local newspapers, actual jobs applied for using uj and other sites also random c.v drops

Don't forget that you don't have to permit access to your UJ account to the Jobcentre or anyone else - and that's DWP law. Neither do you have to provide printouts. However, if you're happy that people are genuinely helping you and you're okay with them seeing what you're doing on UJ then that's no problem.

I'd recommend signing up to Reed and CV-Library jobsites too, similar to UJ (but far more reliable and with more genuine jobs on offer). Plus with those sites, any job you apply for will automatically send an acknowledgement email to your account. Solid proof that you've applied for jobs if the JC should ask what you've been doing.

• 1 month later...

I've now has my first PWP appointment. They want me to bring in my passport, bank statements and tenancy agreement. I have about 4 appointments in addition to my regular fortnightly sign-on appointment. I've never asked for travel reimbursement (only at ingeus, who have me coins upon production of a bus receipt printout). Can I get this at the job centre ? Do they give you coins? The amount is little but they do add up; I'm embarrassed to ask but I do need it.

It looks like they have a lot of intensive job searching planned for me, and that's fine. I think they are getting people to come in frequently as it disrupts those who are working in the black market -- I'm not so happy to oblige (except for the travel costs).

I haven't yet registered for UJ. In fact, no one has even mentioned it to me -- why is that? Maybe that's coming soon.

Agree on that one. If you don't want to apply for a vacancy on UJM, if u click the back button while logged in the JC advisor will ask why you didn't apply. If you click a reason on the other hand (too far, too little money, not desired career area/skill level) you walk straight into a sanction as I was told you had to take any type of work after 13 weeks.

This sounds like a nightmare. You can't even view a job out of curiosity? I haven't yet been told to register with UJM. There's probably a dedicated thread about it on CAG?

I'm really confused. It seems people are worrying about getting their personal data stolen so are creating hotmail addresses? What about postal addresses ? I'm afraid of having my identity stolen and used to rack up loans etc. I don't mind sending my details to real companies but I've heard there are some shady people and multi-level marketing pyramid type schemes on there.

Going to open a UJ account, but not using any of my known e-mail addresses...the JC are going to give me one, so i'm gonna play ball for now with this.

The JC are going to give you one what? An email address? I'm confused.

This sounds like a nightmare. You can't even view a job out of curiosity? I haven't yet been told to register with UJM. There's probably a dedicated thread about it on CAG?

I'm really confused. It seems people are worrying about getting their personal data stolen so are creating hotmail addresses? What about postal addresses ? I'm afraid of having my identity stolen and used to rack up loans etc. I don't mind sending my details to real companies but I've heard there are some shady people and multi-level marketing pyramid type schemes on there.

Although you may continue to use Universal Job Match to source job leads, it is not mandatory to create an account on Universal Job Match - the most that can be achieved, if push comes to shove, is for a Front Line Adviser to issue a Job Seekers Direction which would make a candidate i) create a UJ Account, ii) create a profile, iii) upload a CV, iv) make the CV searchable -however, the candidate may continue to use their normal Job Log, and may invoke their discretion not to allow access to their Universal Job Match account to any party - such as the DWP/JCP.

I've never asked for travel reimbursement (only at ingeus, who have me coins upon production of a bus receipt printout). Can I get this at the job centre ? Do they give you coins? The amount is little but they do add up; I'm embarrassed to ask but I do need it.

They most certainly DO have to pay your expenses, if any appointment is not on your normal signing day. Also, you should not have to ask for them either; they should be paid even if you don't mention it. The DWP guidance on Expenses is quite clear, I've enclosed the relevant sections below (important bits in red).

Claimant entitled to additionally incurred travel expenses

If the claimant is to attend an office, other than their normal office of attendance and they incur an additional cost for attending the interview, they will be entitled to have the additional cost reimbursed.

Note: the normal office is considered to be the office where the claimant attends for their Jobsearch Reviews

Claimant entitled to full reimbursement of travel expenses

The claimant is entitled to have their full travel expenses reimbursed if:

their appointment is held in their normal office of attendance but not on the normal attendance day (the day that they would normally attend a fortnightly Jobsearch Review);

they are a postal claimant who is attending an advisory interview; or

it was not possible to notify them of a cancelled appointment and they subsequently attend the office. However, this will only apply if it is not possible for the claimant to be seen that day.

Always pay travel expenses to claimant who are entitled to them. Payment does not depend upon the claimant asking.

Payment of travel expenses will cover:

the cost of the cheapest public transport route; or

where use of private transport is justified. For example, no public transport is available, payment at the current rate.

Both claimants in a Joint Claim will be entitled to claim for travel expenses if they both attend an interview that fulfils the above criteria.

This must be explained to claimants if the interview is arranged by telephone. It is also clearly stated in the generic interview letter.

Arrange for travel expenses to be paid at the start of the interview. This will allay any worry or uncertainty on the claimant's part.

So not only do you want your expenses, you want them straight away and without having to ask for them

:) Refer the advisor to the above guidelines on Expenses..which they should know if they're doing their damn job!!!

Has anyone had a Skills Conditionality National Career Service interview?

I have that to look forward to this week(!)

Edit: it looks like this is it: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/skills_conditionality_2

Customers who are mandated to the National Careers Service by Jobcentre Advisers under Skills Conditionality are mandated for a Skills Health Check. This is an assessment of an individual’s skills in order to identify any skills gaps that may be preventing them from securing employment. In this context the term “assessment” relates to the guidance process that the customer goes through with the adviser. This may include the use of the online Skills Health Check Tool. The National Careers Service Adviser uses their professional judgement during their discussion with the customer to decide whether a customer would benefit from using the online Tool(s). This would not be a mandatory activity.
Edited by nickk

I received a telephone call from the Careers Service as I voluntarily investigated this. I have also looked at the Career Office web pages and their difficult online tests. The aptitude tests is what I was interested in.

I also answered a questionnaire over the telephone. I was unprepared for this.

I am very interested in updating my skills to fit the jobs available as their is a mismatch.

PS: Not so good for builder or artisan types, NVQ and the such-like. Then performance and experience gets you the work.

Best bet is to do this sort of thing before the two years WP is finished. That's what I decided. I have an appointment tomorrow.

Taster: https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/tools/skillshealthcheck/Pages/default.aspx

Edited by Perseus1

PS: I thought I was reasonably up to date skills-wise.

However, I discovered that I am not by much further away than I thought. Skills I have not used for a long time, I have completely forgotten and I need revision. Especially arithmetic, percentages etc.

I have just been doing other work and although I have used these skills, I had to revise each time because they weren't run of the mill.

The writing interpretation test is particularly hard if you are out of practice at reading bureaucratic badly written text that is found in real life. You are meant to discern what the writer actually means. It takes ages and is a headache and I like this sort of thing normally. I did it quickly and only got 70% which is better than average apparently.

The writing to interpret is not even as clear as some vague messages on this forum. It contains information but it is written in such a formal noncommittal way that it needs taken to pieces with a scalpel. To me it was just a sign of particular bad writing of a certain personality type. I've been an Editor and I would send it back as unsuitable.

Edited by Perseus1

Edit: it looks like this is it: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/skills_conditionality_2

Interesting premise of a "Skills Conditionality National Career Service interview" :

Thank you for your enquiry which states that you are interested in:

1. understanding the Mandatory Skills Conditionality Assessments undertaken by the National Careers Service; and

2. Information relating to the Guidance for National Careers Service Advisers to follow when undertaking these assessments with mandated customers.

Customers who are mandated to the National Careers Service by Jobcentre Advisers under Skills Conditionality are mandated for a Skills Health Check. This is an assessment of an individual’s skills in order to identify any skills gaps that may be preventing them from securing employment. In this context the term “assessment” relates to the guidance process that the customer goes through with the adviser. This may include the use of the online Skills Health Check Tool. The National Careers Service Adviser uses their professional judgement during their discussion with the customer to decide whether a customer would benefit from using the online Tool(s). This would not be a mandatory activity.

The relevant extract from the National Careers Service Operating Instructions that provides further guidance to contractors and advisers is copied below:

[contractors are required to ensure that]

• advisers use agreed processes and documentation for booking appointments, transfer of information between Jobcentre Plus and National Careers Service, including sharing of the Skills Action Plan as appropriate; and

• any customers mandated to the face-to-face service are provided with the service required by the Jobcentre Plus personal adviser in order to meet the conditions of the directive under skills conditionality.

I trust that this response meets your requirements.

Perhaps, at the time of any discussion with the "Adviser", you should invoke due diligence, and establish the credentials of any "Adviser" to assess your Skills Profile. Has the "Adviser" been previously employed as a Professional Careers Adviser within any Careers Service, or are they merely a Front Line Adviser within Job Centre Plus trying to read from a computer generated script? Edited by RebeccaPidgeon
Additional Information Submitted

Interesting premise of a "Skills Conditionality National Career Service interview" :

Perhaps, at the time of any discussion with the "Adviser", you should invoke due diligence, and establish the credentials of any "Adviser" to assess your Skills Profile. Has the "Adviser" been previously employed as a Professional Careers Adviser within any Careers Service, or are they merely a Front Line Adviser within Job Centre Plus trying to read from a computer generated script?

I have already done this G4S Advisor did not have Guidance and Advisor qualifications, NVQ3 desirable.

Employee of A4e who did have was sacked. She had NVQ4 Guidance & Advice. She is now tith the Careers Service.

I think it is the aptitudes are more important than the skills test (that can be learned though).

Want a good job in recruitment: http://www.fish4.co.uk/job/1541500/ware-christchurch/education-recruitment-consultant?cmpid=jbe_daily_fish4_20131104_2

Edited by Perseus1

I am not going to pass up a chance of Career Guidance, despite active discouragement of such a course of action from my WP Advisor. I wish I had chased this up when I was younger.

It might be better at skills than aptitudes.

I don't dare or even want to tell my WP Advisor what I am doing. I usually tell them what they want to hear and carry on doing what I want.

I would like to work in this field. Not before as I was doing what I liked.

I am not going to pass up a chance of Career Guidance, despite active discouragement of such a course of action from my WP Advisor. I wish I had chased this up when I was younger.

It might be better at skills than aptitudes.

I don't dare or even want to tell my WP Advisor what I am doing. I usually tell them what they want to hear and carry on doing what I want.

I would like to work in this field. Not before as I was doing what I liked.

If you wish Professional Careers Advice, and if you cannot access a Professional Careers Advisor locally who is qualified as such (although the individual that you have had contact with may wear with pride their acquisition of an NVQ 3 or 4, this does not really count as a Professional Qualification and is no substitute for a rigorous and professional standard of training and Post Qualification Experience), then visit the local library or bookshop and check out the Job Search Books. They will guide you through the process of self assessment and assist you in developing a suitable CV.

If you wish Professional Careers Advice, and if you cannot access a Professional Careers Advisor locally who is qualified as such (although the individual that you have had contact with may wear with pride their acquisition of an NVQ 3 or 4, this does not really count as a Professional Qualification and is no substitute for a rigorous and professional standard of training and Post Qualification Experience), then visit the local library or bookshop and check out the Job Search Books. They will guide you through the process of self assessment and assist you in developing a suitable CV.

It will be fun checking it out.

I went to this and it was actually quite useful. What was not good, however, was that the place was short staffed and overcrowded with other job seekers getting very shouty and lippy. One woman came in and she was on the computer next to me, trying to do a rapid reclaim; she was F'ing and Blinding and security staff were hovering around. It was an unpleasant, tense atmosphere.

I did spend about an additional hour waiting around - because some staff were off.

With all these frequent appointments, I think the idea is to make us feel more ashamed (than we already do)

I also just found out my landlord is selling the flat so I'm worried about being homeless. It took months and months to get Housing Benefit - endless forms and waiting. I take it I have to start fresh if I move house (within the same locality). The housing benefit is already far below my actual rent - I have to make up the difference. I struggle and am trailing behind. But without any housing benefit I will be hosed.

The free service is good enough for me and they are qualified quite a lot and experienced as well. Their mouse mats had Babcock written on them. This is a recruitment agency for professionals, executive types and experienced artisans.

Library books not good enough for the modern CV. I made this mistake. Views have changed considerably.

I went to this and it was actually quite useful. What was not good, however, was that the place was short staffed and overcrowded with other job seekers getting very shouty and lippy. One woman came in and she was on the computer next to me, trying to do a rapid reclaim; she was F'ing and Blinding and security staff were hovering around. It was an unpleasant, tense atmosphere.

Good luck with your house hunting.

Do you really think the public want everybody to get jobs. Some people are better off on benefits and I would not have them demoralising the rest of the work force in my firm.

Put them on benefits and keep them away from me. (Not too much or else they will **** it up against the wall.)

I have not worked with them, but I have had them as neighbours. Beware!

The free service is good enough for me and they are qualified quite a lot and experienced as well. Their mouse mats had Babcock written on them. This is a recruitment agency for professionals, executive types and experienced artisans.

Library books not good enough for the modern CV. I made this mistake. Views have changed considerably.

There is no ideal CV ... and advice contained within books, including referring to example CV's, remains valid. The individual can select a CV style which matches their profile, and the type of jobs which they are aiming to get. Also, the process through which you can analyse your profile remains valid, which feeds through into your CV design.

Moved on now to:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?408588-Tips-for-Getting-Jobs

CV advice from old books not suitable.

Free careers service by qualified and experienced staff is good enough for me.

If the Free Careers Service is staffed by Professional and Qualified Careers Advisers, who not only possess legitimate qualifications but also have been employed as Professional Careers Advisers, then all fair and well.... however, there is a distinct difference between a Professional Careers Adviser, and someone who is not, but is simply play-acting a role which is beyond their capabilities. Unfortunately, simply because someone (for example) has a competence based NVQ in Information Advice and Guidance does not necessarily imply that they are competent to disperse Professional Careers Advice, where their competence may be on a par to mere Front Line Advisers within Job Centre Plus.

Agree with above.

I am coming around to having several different types of CVs. Modern trends have changed for the better.

Some people will never make good advisers because their temperament is wrong.

I chose Careers Advice because I was not happy with the WP.

Has anoyone else been given a "job seeker pack"?

Does this replace the normal job search booklet we fill out when signing on? I'm worried about filling the wrong one in and getting sanctioned as a result.

xqEpInQ.jpg

LOsmWfB.jpg

pjFHvmU.jpg

I am confused as I have only just been given the booklet - I haven't agreed or discussed any "commitments".

Edited by nickk

If you have not signed it, you have not made any commitments yet. Be very wary of "trying to link [your commitments] to something you would do as part of your daily routine." - To do so runs the risk of collecting a sanction for varying your daily life. If you are compelled to sign, try to make the "commitments" as vague as possible.

If I was being pressured in to signing this, I'd be asking why it does not bear any official DWP document numbers and if it replaces my JSAg. If it is not an "official" DWP document, there (probably) isn't any statuary requirement to sign.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.