Debt ownership

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3951 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry this site has become very large and difficult to find things, I came across a letter template to a DCA requesting that they inform me who owns the debt did they buy it or were they acting as an agent. Can anyone point me in the right direction please

your cra file will tell you who owns a debt

see below

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You should have received a Notice of Assignment. This will make it clear whether the DCA is acting as the agent for the OC, or has bought the debt with all its rights and duties effectively making it the OC to all intents and purposes. The burden of contract always stays with the OC and can never be assigned.

Have a look through the letters you've had to find the NOA and all should be clear.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Unfortunately, with DCA's a NoA is rarely ever sent. Especially with a lot of backstreet DCA's. A credit record check is normally the most reliable way to find out who owns the debt.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Unfortunately, with DCA's a NoA is rarely ever sent. Especially with a lot of backstreet DCA's. A credit record check is normally the most reliable way to find out who owns the debt.

Really?

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Unfortunately yes. We have had hundreds of reports about DCA's and the OC's stating that the debt has been sold but no NoA was ever sent/received. Thats why dx stated that the best way to check is the credit record. Whatever name is on the entry is who you should be paying.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Is this not unlawful under Section 189 of the CCA, as per Jones v Link (2012)?

Most likely yes. But the regulators dont do anything about it. The creditors simply say that one was sent and their system shows it as sent.

don't forget also

most NoA's are the DCA using [p'haps by licence]

a 'copy' of the OC's letterhead.

both are typically enclosed in the same envelope that come from the dca too...urmm.....

always puzzled me that one.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

don't forget also

most NoA's are the DCA using [p'haps by licence]

a 'copy' of the OC's letterhead.

both are typically enclosed in the same envelope that come from the dca too...urmm.....

always puzzled me that one.

dx

Why? It is legal.

Most likely yes. But the regulators dont do anything about it. The creditors simply say that one was sent and their system shows it as sent.

Ah right - thank you. So despite it being unlawful, nothing can be done about it?

Ah right - thank you. So despite it being unlawful, nothing can be done about it?

That would be a matter for the regulator, given that if it hadn't been served and without the benefit of a crystal ball the debtor would unlikely be in a position to file a complaint absent disclosure within a trial scenario.... Even a wild stab in the dark would suggest that it wouldn't be at the forefront of a defendant's mind to complain faced with overwhelming 'witness' evidence to the contrary.

more to do with default notices

not sure on any concrete rules with NoA's

which is why DCA's get away with using OC letterhead copies.

dx

and they

more to do with default notices

not sure on any concrete rules with NoA's

which is why DCA's get away with using OC letterhead copies.

dx

So nothing to do with assignments as such? I just wondered if there was law about assignments and whether this may vary between a legal (absolute) assignment and an equitable assignment?

is not eq just the dca collecting on behalf of the OC?

so no NoA is needed anyhow

basically they are just being the dogs, hoping the debtor falls for it

if they don't own the debt, the dca is totally powerless

hence the use of if,but,might,could,instructed,etc etc.

i'm sure upon absolute

there are many instances here that if the correct pre action protocol

has not been carried out, the court case has collapsed

for want of a diff word.

dx

and they

A credit file will only give you the information if it has been correctly updated - which more often than not doesn't seem to be the case.

In fact I dare say for many individuals seeking out a copy of a credit file could do more harm than good - especially with debts which have been dormant a number of years.

The Law of Property Act is very clear in relation to how debts, as a 'thing in action', should be sold or transferred.

It still puzzles me that the EU thinks that it's proper than the onus should be on the new creditor to inform the debtor of the assignment - that's just open to massive abuse IMO.

I agree Sequenci, and of course my questions re assignment were rhetorical. I was trying to make the point that there are other channels that can, and in my opinion should, be followed, other than the ones bandied about by so many here.

I too for myriad reasons advocate not going down the cra route.

In any case I don't see the problem. Almost all letters from DCAs list EITHER a "Client", who are the debt's current owners, often the original creditor, OR an "Original creditor" meaning the debt has been sold and the letter is from either the new owner or their agents. Even if it is a letter from the assignee's agents, the assignee is invariably identified.

Or am I missing something?