Home Visit from HR

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3938 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My friends daughter has been off work for two extended occasions in the past year, she suffers with ME or something similar. She has been under investigations with the hospital and her GP. Whilst she has been off work she has always supplied her employer with sickness certificates.

Today she has had a letter from her employer saying her manager and the HR department wish to visit her at home to put a work plan in place. Is this a usual course of action. The young lady is thinking this is some sort of attempt to intimidate her into resigning her job or perhaps they wish to pay her off. Does she have to let them visit her at home, can they not wait until she returns to work to put a plan in place.

I would appreciate any views on this matter.

Thank you

loring

Lots of contracts say you have to stay engaged with HR departments whilst on sick leave. Just the same I personally would not let my employers into my home. I would agree to meet somewhere quiet and local. A hotel lobby where you can get a cup of tea or a quiet coffee shop. HR are working on a return to work plan and will be starting making adjustments to get her back to the workplace. FIT notes should say what if any duties the person is able to undertake and if they say none then none it is.

My experience is that HR are going through a process to get your friends daughter back to work. Failure to do after making all reasonable adjustments can lead to instigation of some type of capability process ie they can get rid of her. On the other hand if she stays off sick they can probably do the same. HR departments will always say we really want the employee back but really they just want the problem sorted.

It is also likely they may ask her to see an occupational health official ie a doctor paid for by the company to make an assessment. Non co-operation could give a negative slant later on but if she hasn't been properly diagnosed yet she is likely to feel this HR action is inappropriate just yet. They won't. If she likes the job co-operation and negotiation will be in her interest but stress will come if they push her down a line where she isn't able. Her health is paramount and maybe she could turn up to the meeting with someone else or have it at her parents house with them present. HR will be asking what she thinks she can do at work despite the fit notes obviously saying nothing at the moment.

When she goes back to work she is likely to be under micro management to make sure that she only does what has been signed up to and that she does what she is asked. The reason is her company are laying the ground in case they have to dismiss her in the future.

This could go fine or turn ugly in the future. The company are taking care of their interests but the sick person is very rarely able to think in these terms and focused on just trying to get better or find out what is wrong with them. Home should be a sanctuary. You can cut an outside meeting short when you aren't feeling well you will struggle if they are in your house and cause you any upset. HR are trained and briefed to make a person feel valued by the company but make no mistake everyone is replaceable and they will not consider it good for business to have someone on sick leave for substantial periods of time.

Thanks for the replies

Lookingforjustice, I have forwarded your detailed response to the young lady who is going with her mother to meet her Manager and HR officer at 4.30pm. The meeting will take place at Starbucks and I let you know the outcome later.

Thanks

loring