Damage to caravan whilst in storage

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3977 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I packed my caravan away for winter on a registered caravan storage site. Yesterday I went to the site and pulled the cover off only to find a 9 inch dent and scratch on the side. It is clear that the owners to the caravan next to me had done the damage, there is even a scratch to the bumper which is the same height etc to the damaged to my caravan.

The owner of the site spoke to the owners of the caravan and surprise surprise they denied ever damaging my van ,but they noticed that my cover had a rip to it. They must of noticed that when they where looking at the damage they had done!!

I like them have insurance but why should I suffer when it is clear that they have done the damage but it comes down to there word against mine.

Sorry to whinge on but I am so annoyed is there anything I can do so I dont become the injured party here?

take photos, measure heights, estranges etc.

make sure that you photograph the positioning of both vans etc as well as closeups of the damage and their bumper.

make sure that you write a detailed account of everything which has been said.

get two estimates for the repair.

then write to them and ask them to give you their insurer's name and to start a claim.

of they don't then go to the small claims court.

don't wait too long

14 days first nice polite letter

14 days LBA

then sue

• 1 month later...

Just to update, we went back to the owners of the caravan and no surprise they denied doing the damage. So I thought ok claim via my insurance. Only now they are trying to get out of it by stating I did not inform them that I had moved it to storage, which I know I went on the insurers web site and filled in the message. They say they never received anything from me and wont be taking my claim further, so again its my word against theirs.

At the same time when I moved the caravan my other half had been diagnosed with cancer and was going through chemo, now when I think about it I never received anything back ie new cover note or refund as the site has a gold award and should even been cheaper, never gave it a thought as you can imagine I had other things on my mind

This seems totally unfair that I put my caravan into storage and now have to pay for the repair.

Would it be worth my time to take this to the ombudsman?

md

if you are sure that you filled out the form and told them yes, if you didn't its good will atbh a lot of insurance cos haven't got a lot of good will when it comes to paying out

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

if you are sure that you filled out the form and told them yes, if you didn't its good will atbh a lot of insurance cos haven't got a lot of good will when it comes to paying out

Thanks for your reply - yes I know I informed them but they state that they were not informed and as I just messaged them on their website I did not have a copy as proof

I have nothig to loose now but go through the ombudsman and hope they show some good will

:-( md