hosuing benefit

sajeel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4051 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have left my current job after working for many years, i used to get partial hosuing benefit while at last job which stopped on 28/03/2013 i wrote to housing benefit with a change of circumstance form giving 1 months notice. They are useless, first they wrote to me stating they require proof of me stopping work and no income. So i sent via email as addressed on letter being the quickest way !. A copy of P45 and last wage slip as this showed holiday pay which you only get when you leave. They then sent me another letter stating my benefit is now suspended. So i get nothing NOW ! When i spoke to then they said they i did not send proof, i said i emailed on 5th April then she said oh i have the email here and started asking for December and January payslips, proof of any saving i have and how i am surviving as i am not claiming jsa or is. They are a pain in back**** to deal with any advice ? as i feel they keep making worthless excuses. I told them i have some money from my last job and they now want proof of this. I do not wish to disclose my bank statements as they will look for more issues to explore and delay my benefit. Please help as i am not experts at dealing with these people and need to know point of law of what they can and cannot request. I am looking to find another or become self employed so need advice on what i should say to them. As currently i have had to pay 1 months rent and looks like a few more at the rate they are going.

Sorry for long post but i wanted to include all details

It is standard to ask for proof as to how you are supporting yourself including bankstatements and also originals (not copies or scans) of pay slips, p45 etc. They can't just take your word that you don't have other income coming into your accounts. This is simply their procedure, and the more you delay the more likely your claim will be cancelled rather than suspended. Best to just give them what they ask for and get it sorted. If you delay longer than a month past the benefit suspension, the claim will be cancelled.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Yes estellyn is spot on with her advice. They wont and cant just take your word for it, they have to have proof which they keep on record. Everyone who applies for these benefits has to do the same, its procedure. I would be getting all the info they need together very quickly and take it in to the office if its local or post recorded etc asap. The only one who will suffer otherwise is you, and they don't mess about collecting money due for council tax or stopping paying rent.

as housing benefit is a means tested benefit, the amount you would be entitled to would depend upon how much income or capital you have

i can understand your concern about having to provide this information, however if you want to continue to receive benefit, you will need to provide sufficient evidence to satisfy the council that you still qualify

the information that has been requested does not sound unreasonable to ask for

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your replies the housing officer did not clearly state what she required and never put this in writing, i will email december and january statement along with a recent bank statement.

As for i am surviving is by support of friend and family.