Advice about dealing with 'Debts' after leaving the country

mani99
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4088 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I will soon be departing these shores and wanted some advice about some existing 'debts'. For some time now I have been requesting various bits of information from certain DCA's so I can verify the validity of the alleged debts but on each occasion what I have got is just rubbish. My concern is that I currently have a house under my name along with my parents (I dont live there nor do I pay the mortgage) and I wanted to know could these DCA's get any sort of court order to go to the house and start removing any goods? Everything in the house belongs to my parents with the exception of a bookcase and a few books which I purchased.

I will be writing to all the DCA's to inform them that I will be leaving the country, should I tell them that any mail sent to me will be either binned or sent back to them? And also how do I make sure that they dont try anything sneaky while Im not here? I dont want anyone turning up at my parents house and scaring them into letting them in or making them sign/do anything. Perhaps I could remove their implied right of access to the property?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

They could go for CCJ's and then a charge on the property. I doubt they would send in bailiffs to enforce the debt, if you own property. If you have debts over £750, then they could go for bankruptcy.

In this situation, you would be best off offering payments based on what you can afford.

But so people can advise you better, please list what debts you have and what the rough history of these are.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Could they really charge on the property even thought I own nothing in it?

I havent got all the debt details to hand, but the largest is aroud £7k and the smallest around £250. In total there is about £13k

The charge would be on the property and it would I think be rather difficult to obtain if there are 3 equal partners to the Mortgage.

The contents you own would not be worth the trouble of seizure.

Before doing any thing especially making offers of payment check your credit reference files to establish the status of the debts, who owns them

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thanks for that. I have checked the file and all of them have been passed onto various DCAs from the look of things. Ive written to several of them to request that they show proof that the debt is actually mine but not a single one has managed to provide me with anything. I just keep getting the same standard template letters.

I leave here in a months time, how would you suggest I proceed? Do I write to them and tell them that I am moving country and that the house which is under may name is also under two other peoples name and that the contents of the house belong exclusively to those two individuals?

Thanks once again.

A couple were entered as defaults about 3 years ago and a few about a year back now

All relatively new then, depending on how you feel about this 2 main choices (GAG does not recommend debt avoidance) 1. Ignore and go. 2. Contact them all as you suggested.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

All relatively new then, depending on how you feel about this 2 main choices (GAG does not recommend debt avoidance) 1. Ignore and go. 2. Contact them all as you suggested.

Agree. If you visit the overseas debt part of CAG, you will see many posts from people who have moved abroad leaving debts behind. Most of these would advise you to write to your creditors once you have left the country, advising them of your situation and most importantly confirming your foreign correspondence address. If they have your foreign address, then there should be no reason for them to be sneaky in getting a default CCJ in your absence using an old address. Also if they look at bankrutpcy as an option, you could try to defend this. Believe it or not, people have been made bankrupt without knowing anything about it.

If you are moving to another EU country, please be aware that they can obtain a European Enforcement Order where you are living. You should have a read up about this.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

To be honest Im just sick of trying to deal with these lot, they simply ignore all my requests. One even took court action and on the date that we were supposed to attend County Court they didnt bother to turn up. And yet the judge still gave them a chance to produce the information that I was requesting. Eventually after 28 days when they didnt produce the documentation then claim was struck off.

I dont mind dealing with them so long as they honour my requests, I just dont want them to hassle my parents who have nothing to do with any of this.

Agree. If you visit the overseas debt part of CAG, you will see many posts from people who have moved abroad leaving debts behind. Most of these would advise you to write to your creditors once you have left the country, advising them of your situation and most importantly confirming your foreign correspondence address. If they have your foreign address, then there should be no reason for them to be sneaky in getting a default CCJ in your absence using an old address. Also if they look at bankrutpcy as an option, you could try to defend this. Believe it or not, people have been made bankrupt without knowing anything about it.

If you are moving to another EU country, please be aware that they can obtain a European Enforcement Order where you are living. You should have a read up about this.

Thanks, I will take a read. FYI, Im moving outside of the EU... I dont mind giving my address to where I move but I dont want them to be able to impact my credit in Country.

They can only record the information on your UK credit history. They can't touch you abroad. The only problem you may have, is if you asked for a credit card or bank account where you are living abroad and they asked you to supply your UK credit history. They can't access this themselves and have to ask you. I have read that some foreign banks don't ask for the information.

They can only record the information on your UK credit history. They can't touch you abroad. The only problem you may have, is if you asked for a credit card or bank account where you are living abroad and they asked you to supply your UK credit history. They can't access this themselves and have to ask you. I have read that some foreign banks don't ask for the information.

A lot of banks overseas ask for your banking history eg, a referal from your bank as to how your account was run, not a copy of your credit file. Also most credit cards (abroad) are linked to the ammount of money in your account so you cannot have a card for £3000, if you only put in £1000 a month.

the only bank I know that uses british CCA to check or register accounts is Santander.