What should we be claiming?

Jesss123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4094 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Long story short, I was on ESA due to pregnancy complications, my partner was working part time - all was well until I hit 29 weeks in my pregnancy and my partner was made redundant. My ESA claim was changed to an Income Support claim as I do not qualify for MA as I have been a student and didn't get enough contributions. My partner was added to my Income Support claim now. Yesterday at the Job Centre we were informed we can only claim IS until our baby is 15 weeks old and until then my partner doesn't even have to look for work, the advisor basically told us to sit on our butts and do nothing for 26 weeks. Then at 15 weeks old the claim would be changed to JSA as he would be expected to find work. My question is;

How will all this change when our boy is 15 weeks old?

I was hoping to stay at home until he's 6 months old then go back to work (9 months of maternity starting at 29 weeks pregnant which I thought I was eligible to) - my old employer said I'm welcome back anytime. JCP said they don't know (??)

IF my partner hasn't found work by then, then this will transferred to JSA, will I be expected to go back to work/find work then too, our boy will only be 3/4 months old then..?

My partner might possibly have a part time job lined up in the meantime - it's only 15 hours a week but where we live right now (very small village with one shop!) it's a miracle anyway. What would happen then? Would we still get transferred to JSA at 15 weeks or would I stay on Income Support for a little longer and just have him on it as working part time?

Sorry but no one seems to be able to answer us! I'd appreciate any replies! :)

You can only claim IS as a couple until your baby is 15 weeks old and then you either return to work and claim tax credits, claim ESA as a couple or your partner can claim JSA for you as a couple.

You would be exempt from signing on as it will be a couple claim not a joint claim due to your young child.

You claim won't be transferred over it will be closed and at that stage you will both need to decide what you are going to do as to decide which benefit you are going to pusue.

The period of maternity leave is only if you woud have qualified for MA or SMP but as you don't then automatically get the 39 weeks leave perse.

If you are able to returm to work before your partner finds work to enable you to claim tax credits could be be an opportuntity to swop roles temporarily?