• Tweets

• go do a Direct Debit Guarantee Clawback to your bank if you've now got control of his bank account finny.
    • Hello, Just to check I understand things right, he moved to a nursing home, you then kept paying the rent for a period of time whilst you sorted his belongings. You have asked to give notice and asked for backdated payments of rent from when you first asked which went ignored? They are still taking rent payments.   Have I understood correct?   If I've got anything wrong please correct me.
    • I contacted Sanctury housing in August 2023 after informing them my father in law who had Dementia had moved into a Nursing home December 2022. We kept the flat for 8 months until such a time we could accomodate some of his furniture that my wife wanted to keep. I contacted them in August 2023 to let them know the situation by email as I was the named person that could speak on his behalf. I informed them that we had left it to late for POT and were seeing a solicitor for Deputyship of his financies. I asked them what information would they need in order to give notice on the flat and we could provide details of his condition and nursing home. This went ignored I left it a month and then called them October 2023. I was promised a call back from a manager over the next few days. This never happened and it was end of November when I contacted them again and they had no record of me calling them. I explained the email and again I was told the local manager to the area would call me. This never happened and I ended up emailing them in January 2024 with a copy of the email from August. Again this went ignored and I had explained to them that we couldn't just go to the bank and stop the DD as we had tried. This email again went ignored. I then had a letter written to our home address in February asking us to get in contact with them (local manager) as they were concerend nobody was living in the flat. He had an email address so I copied in the last 2 emails to say I had been trying to give notice since August 2023. I also stated that I would like the rent that was paid from August 2023 refunded back to his account as I had officially tried to give notice then and it went ignored. He replied to us about wanting to look at the flat then notice could be given once he had contacted the nursing home to confirm he was actually living there now. Notice was giving for the 22 March 2024 and this would be when rent would stop and no further payment would be taken by this point. The fact I asked to be back dated went ignored. I have since noticed on 2 banks statement for April and May that they are still taking Rent payments of £501 from his bank. Further to this which seems very strange. He was with Eon Next for his utility bill again we were having problems getting this stopped as they needed a named person on his account which there wasn't one despite me managing his online account for him. I didn't check the email address that often that I used to set it up and went to check as noticed the credit he had built up with not living there was all getting refunded in February. The email said £600 would be refunded to his account with a (sorry you are leaving us message) but how can he leave as nobody but himself had access to speak with them. I also noticed the lady in the flat above him had a letter from her bank sent to his address with his address details but his name which was dated 4th March well before we had given notice and it said (thank you for giving us your new address details) we have set all this up for your account.   So Sanctuary housing must have been aware he wasn't living there from the ignored emails for the lady above to start changing address details to move into his flat before the housing manager had even got in contact to ask if anyone was living there. What I basically want to know his do we have any legal standing to claim the rent back from when I first contacted them in August 2023? There is roughly £3000 to come back  
    • lowell letter = we've mugged you once - why are you not paying this other debt....😎
    • i see you are posting this all over the internet too. here you say it was returned by the safety camera dept UK, Wales Returned NIP Nov23 - Heard Nothing - Now It's been returned as refused and have SJPN Form. Help please? WWW.FTLA.UK UK, Wales Returned NIP Nov23 - Heard Nothing - Now It's been returned as refused and have SJPN Form. Help please?  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lowells stat demand, what to do next please? (several questions sorry)

debtangel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4064 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Lowell have bought three of my debts.

MBNA Credit Card over £1k

Barclaycard credit card over £4k

Bank overdraft just over £600

I received a stat demand hand delivered on 21 January from BW Legal re the MBNA debt. Sent them a request for CCA by special delivery on 23 January, they signed for it on the 24th.

I applied to set the Stat Demand aside. I waited until the 17th day, so I could delay things a bit. The only defence I have is that in March 2009 I asked for a copy of my credit agreement to MBNA and they ignored my letter. There is no PPI etc.

The relevant forms to have the Stat Demand set aside were received by the court 7 February as I sent them next day courier. I have not received anything from the Court. What happens next with the Court?

Also, Lowell have until Sunday to reply to the CCA request as the 30 days will be up. What do I do next in respect of that?

After receiving the Stat Demand I did a credit check on myself and found out that they had bought the Barclaycard and bank overdraft debts too. I have sent them a CCA requests for both.

I got two letters from Lowells today. Re the bank overdraft they said they dont need to provide a credit agreement and sent the £1 cheque back, stating it would be on hold until they can provide me with bank statements. Can I do anything else here?

Re the Barclaycard, they said they have requested the CCA from BCard.

I have noticed posts suggesting doing a SAR. Is there any point in doing this? What can I gain from doing so?

Many thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

No PPI, but what about charges on these accounts. It is worth doing SAR's, if you don't have copies of all statements to see what charges there are.

As for the set aside, I guess you will hear from the court shortly, as to what will happen next. I don't think there always has to be a hearing, but if this is needed you will be advised of this.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The reason for a SAR is that on occasions Lowells ask for an adjournment to get paperwork, they will continue to ask for adjournments if they can't get paperwork which in the main they struggle to do. By sending a SAR you can pre-empt any potentially 'false' paperwork they try and produce from the original creditor, and you can also show that the original creditor was never able to provide x paperwork or y paperwork too....on a few occasions the original creditors can't even find an account for the named person. You also need to show that you are making more than a reasonable attempt to get paperwork, and unless you get some help from a judge in disclosure then the process can go on.

This second CCA request was a bit pointless to some extent. In itself it’s no defence, as you probably realise, as it was requested after the SD was served.

Do you have proof of sending the first CCA request to MBNA?

Did you check that the court you sent the set aside app to actually deals with SDs? BW are known to get the court wrong on their forms.

Maybe get a CCA request in for the other CC account. The O/D is under £750, so an SD can’t be issued. If they lump them together, the CCA request (if unfulfilled) will stuff them.

Thanks for the prompt replies. I will get a SAR done asap.

I have got proof of the 1st request for CCA in 2009, I sent it Recorded Delivery.

Regarding Lowell not replying to the CCA request, 30 days is up on Sunday. I think I saw something mentioned about non-compliance on here somewhere. Is there a template?

Many thanks

Edited to say I have done a CCA request on the other card when I found out they bought it at the end of January.

Hi I can I just ask about the bank account debt? They said they don't need to do a CCA. In their letter they put as follows:

"We refer to your request for a copy of your original credit agreement in according with the provisions of the section 77(1) and / or 78(1) if the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Please find enclosed the £1 fee sent with your letter.

This account from which the above account is due relates to a bank account that you held with XXXXX Bank plc. Whilst this account is a regulated agreement we would refer you to Section 74(b) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, whereby any requirement to supply a copy of the agreement is exempt for current bank accounts.

We have, however requested statements from the original creditor which will show how the balance we have requested is made up. These will be forwarded to you upon receipt.

Please be assured you account has been placed on hold until the requested statements have been received, at which point we will require your proposals for payment"

Yes it is correct that the CCA request does not apply for Bank current accounts.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. A little update and advice needed please.

I have still not received a copy of the credit agreement from Lowell. It has been 14 days (12+2) and a further 30 days since I requested it. As they have not complied, what do I do now?

I received a letter from their Solicitors this morning with a copy of a letter from the court. The hearing to set the Stat Demand aside is listed for 30 April for 30 minutes. It is dated 12 February but has taken them nearly a month to send it to me, I have never received anything directly from the court.

I have put in a SAR request but have not received a reply as yet.

Check with the court as to whether they have your correct address and why the set aside hearing was not advised to you directly.

As for the non response to a CCA request, you could send the Solicitors a letter with a copy of your CCA request letter, advising them that this request is still outstanding. But it might then stir them into action, by asking Lowells to make sure they provide the CCA. You may therefore choose to just sit on the knowledge that the CCA request has not been complied with and use this to your advantage, if they turn up for the set aside, with the CCA request still outstanding.

With the SAR req to the original creditor, this can take up to 40 days, but do chase up if it goes beyond this.

• Confused 1

Yeh thats a good idea, i'll leave it for now.

Thank you, it's much appreciated.

Btw I rang the court, they have my address correct and said they had sent it to me. It must have got lost in the post.

Hi need a little urgent help now. Received a CCA from Lowell today, but it is not a true copy and not signed.

I opened the account in 2006, the chap at Debtline told me it had to be signed if it was taken out before 2007. But according to the letter Lowell sent with they say the account opened over the internet are subject to The Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Electronic Communications) Order 2004 which came into effect on 31 December 2004. Was the chap at Debtline wrong then?

Also, it states charge for £12 each time the account goes over your credit limit. Surely charges were more than £12 in 2006?

I'm still waiting on the SAR

Lowell are correct, re a CCA taken out online which carried your electronic signature ( an X in the box to confirm you have read t&c's etc )

However the CCA must be the one that applied to your account at the time and when it comes to court, I would expect them to provide something with your name/address plus other relevant details showing. Even though you applied online, the original creditor would have sent a CCA to you or made it viewable online, if held online.

As for charges, I think £12 has been a favoured amount that companies have applied for sometime.

Not sure what the best way forward is. If by Monday you have not had any 'more expert' replies, click on the triangle and the site team will see how they can held. Over the weekend, some of the 'experts' don't post as much.

I will send an S.O.S to 42man for you.

But from what I can see, you have an unfulfilled s78 request from from MBNA, but Lowells have sent you a copy of an electronic application. Did you apply online for the account ?

On the copy document that you have is there an IP address somewhere ? If so, we will be able to check it for you and then you can confirm if it was the IP address you had at the time.

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi need a little urgent help now. Received a CCA from Lowell today, but it is not a true copy and not signed.

I opened the account in 2006, the chap at Debtline told me it had to be signed if it was taken out before 2007. But according to the letter Lowell sent with they say the account opened over the internet are subject to The Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Electronic Communications) Order 2004 which came into effect on 31 December 2004. Was the chap at Debtline wrong then?

Also, it states charge for £12 each time the account goes over your credit limit. Surely charges were more than £12 in 2006?

I'm still waiting on the SAR

i've certainly got sar details from that era that shows £12 charges

15/2/5 fee was £25

11/11/5 £25

12/5/2006 £25

29/5/2006 £25

09/09/2006 £12 [switch was between 29/5 & 26/9]

HTH

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I will send an S.O.S to 42man for you.

But from what I can see, you have an unfulfilled s78 request from from MBNA, but Lowells have sent you a copy of an electronic application. Did you apply online for the account ?

On the copy document that you have is there an IP address somewhere ? If so, we will be able to check it for you and then you can confirm if it was the IP address you had at the time.

Thanks. Yes I applied online, there is no IP address on the copy they have sent.

In my original request to MBNA in 2009 I just asked for a copy of my credit agreement, I didn't know there was specific wording I had to put on it, so it probably wouldn't stand up in court.

Also Thanks to DX, looks like you are right with those dates.

They seem to have complied with a copy of your agreement which you signed 'electronically' (i.e) a tick box which was 'ticked' by you.....do you still have any statements, as it may be that you can check the interest rate applied in the agreement tallies up with the interest charged on the statements....have they provided a default notice ? I think as they now have provided the agreement you may be on slightly more shaky ground. I think you would need a friendly judge to come out of this one....without any other excess charges or PPI and with them providing a copy of the electronic agreement then you may not have many more grounds to fight this on....

Some of what 42man said earlier in the thread still applies. If there are charges on these accounts, then the SD will be misstated. Once you get the SAR you can find out how much these charges amount to.

However, they could overcome these problems down the line. But using the bankruptcy laws to collected disputed amounts is frowned upon. Sadly, you also have to contend with the judge lottery.

In the meantime, contesting these charges is your best way to negotiate. It gives you a platform, which you need, because Lowell are extremely aggressive in using SDs.

Still get your complaints in to the OFT though – the correct route for anything contested should be the county courts, not bankruptcy.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi can someone please clarify The Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Electronic Communications) Order 2004 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/3236/made

I have got a Solcitor through Legal Aid (before they stopped it the other day) Now he is saying (and also Debt Advise service said) That any agreement before 2007 still had to have a physical signature, not just a box on the internet ticked.

The reason I am asking is that Lowell have provided a copy which is not signed and I took this card out in 2006. It could be a massive get out for me if the Solicitor is correct.

Hi can someone please clarify The Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Electronic Communications) Order 2004 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/3236/made

I have got a Solcitor through Legal Aid (before they stopped it the other day) Now he is saying (and also Debt Advise service said) That any agreement before 2007 still had to have a physical signature, not just a box on the internet ticked.

The reason I am asking is that Lowell have provided a copy which is not signed and I took this card out in 2006. It could be a massive get out for me if the Solicitor is correct.

I think if you took out the CCA online between 2004 and April 2007, then the CCA 2004 amendment you mention would apply and that they would not need CCA with a physical signature. The online application would have said, tick this box to be bound by the consumer credit act etc. They would never have sent you a CCA to sign and send back, as I don't believe the 2004 order requires this.