Marlin

spamheed
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4039 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It looks like Marlin have been busy buying all sorts of "last chance" debts, either SB or soon to be SB.

I got a letter from BC late last week with an NOA for Marlins, all of the details on the NOA pertain to BC incl a BC account number.

Funniest thing, I've never ever had a BC acount and had placed my original account in Dispute long before BC bought it (still unfulfilled CCA request)

account has been dead for at least five and a half years, will become SB at the back end of the year

will await further contact from Marlin with interest

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the club Spamhead

OH received exactly the same last week (along with several others I notice) from Marlins, yesterday the phone calls started ( we were out :) ), dont know how they got our number, we're exdirectory - all the time Egg were chasing they couldn't phone us because they didnt have our number.

Think this may go the same way as Debenhams Store Cards converting to Credit Cards (re: change of account numbers)

Hello DonkeyB - I'm back

Beachy

Welcome to the club Spamhead

OH received exactly the same last week (along with several others I notice) from Marlins, yesterday the phone calls started ( we were out :) ), dont know how they got our number, we're exdirectory - all the time Egg were chasing they couldn't phone us because they didnt have our number.

Think this may go the same way as Debenhams Store Cards converting to Credit Cards (re: change of account numbers)

Hello DonkeyB - I'm back

Beachy

Hi beachy

Not aware of the Debenhams store card issue - how did that play out?

Hi beachy

Not aware of the Debenhams store card issue - how did that play out?

A few years ago Debenhams 'upgraded' some customers store cards to credit cards without agreement with the customers (new account numbers but no new agreements or signatures),

Messers. Cohen's issued a court claim against OH, but he had major issues as there was no 'paper trial' between the original agreement & the new account number. They decided to discontinue :-)

Well, am glad I'm not the only one! I've started a separate thread about my situation, but it sounds very similar - basically I received a NOA from Barclaycard last week apparently relating to an Egg account that defaulted almost four years ago and has had no action on it since (requested a CCA at that point, received nothing). I intend to ignore Marlin for as long as possible as the account will become SB in just over two years' time, and I can't imagine they will be willing/able to comply with any CCA request that I might make at this stage...

It does sound as if the options are:

• To immediately declare to them that the account is in default to the OC and has been so for quite some time and let them flap their gums around it
  • To send them a prove it letter on the basis that I have never (ever) had a BC account of any kind and let them attempt to enforce or at least provide some kind of paper trail
  • To ignore them and let them dig themselves a hole by making demands on a non existent account
  • Wait until they begin a court action for the non existent account and go after them for costs
  • To pay them lots of money that they have no entitlement to (only joking)

I shall ponder over these options for a while

I would send the prove it letter, as the account numbers are different and in my case, the only account i've ever had with Barclays has been written off as it is stat barred.

Don't ignore Marlin, that's what they want you to do, so they can issue a Claim, hoping you ignore that as well.

You must report Marlin to the OFT if they step out of line, the OFT were very interested in Marlin after the despatches documentary.

I have no intention of allowing these parasites to obtain judgement against me, however OFT are neither use nor ornament when it comes to Debt Collection.

At the moment they haven't actually done anything other than buy a load of accounts, as far as they are concerned they are acting in good faith.

Once they have been informed that they have bought a pup, depending on their actions from that point onwards, this will dictate my own actions

I would contact Markings i have heard tales of them sending things to the wrong address and hence getting judgement by default

Since the address hasn't changed and all mail (such as there has been) has come to the correct address including the initial contact letter from Marlins and the NOA doc from B/C, this is absolute proof that they know the correct address and it is very unlikely that Marlin would attempt such a foolish act, given that the deception would be obvious and easily proven.

Because the paper trail clearly includes the correct address, setting aside such a spurious claim would be childsplay and would also merit a nice claim for costs against Marlin

Doesn't mean they won't try it. I have a friend who had a letter of claim sent to an address that she had never lived in.

I am not disputing this, I know of several companies who have a habit of acting similarly, I ammerely stating that iin this case t would be the simplest set-aside ever recorded and they would get my nomination for this years cupid stunts award

Haven't seen the letter yet, but Marlins have sent me their first letter, no doubt promising me all kinds of ill should I fail to give them monies that they have no entitlement to.

I suppose my first action should be a prove it letter, coz I've never had any account with Barclaycard and the account number matches no other account in my history