Car insurance claim HELP

nikkipn
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4198 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Could someone please try and help me understand claims procedure as I am getting pushed from pillar to post by both insurance companies. OK here is my problem. My partner is covered by her fully comp insurance to drive any car with the owners permission. While our car was in the garage for it's mot renewal we borrowed my mothers car for a couple of days, thinking, as my partner is covered by our insurance to drive any car this would not be a problem. Whilst out in the car we hit ice and ended up rolling the car onto it's roof, luckily we both received minor injuries. The police and ambulance were called and we were taken to hospital for treatment. My mother called her insurance to report the accident and to get the car recovered within 4hrs of the accident happening, but due to shock and waiting for a ref number from the police it was 6 days later before my partner got round to contacting her insurance company. Now while trying to make a claim we get told by our insurance company that it is my mother who should submit the claim from her insurers and my mothers insurers are saying it is down to our insures to make the claim. We have contacted both insurance companies 3 or 4 times and neither will help us sort this out. Please anyone out there can someone shed some light on what we should do as this is really getting me down and my mother who is disabled is left without a car

Thank you in advance for any help offered Nikki

I think only third party insurance would be in place so you cannot claim for damages to the car, only for third party damages i.e. another car.

Correct. Driving other cars extension is third party liability only cover. To be covered for the damage to the mothers car, you would have needed to be added as additional drivers on the mothers policy. If you did not do this, then the mothers Insurers will not be able to consider any claim.

The only thing you will be covered for under the partners policy if they were driving, is damage to a third party or their property. So if the car hit any third party or their property, your partners Insurers will only look at that.

So you are not covered for damage to the car under either policy and you will have to pay for the repairs to the car out of your own pockets. Next time you borrow a car, either get the car owner to add you to their Insurance or arrange separate temporary Insurance. Do not rely on any third party only driving other cars extension.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Correct. Driving other cars extension is third party liability only cover. To be covered for the damage to the mothers car, you would have needed to be added as additional drivers on the mothers policy. If you did not do this, then the mothers Insurers will not be able to consider any claim.

The only thing you will be covered for under the partners policy if they were driving, is damage to a third party or their property. So if the car hit any third party or their property, your partners Insurers will only look at that.

So you are not covered for damage to the car under either policy and you will have to pay for the repairs to the car out of your own pockets. Next time you borrow a car, either get the car owner to add you to their Insurance or arrange separate temporary Insurance. Do not rely on any third party only driving other cars extension.

Thank you both for you're swift reply. Usually my mother has any driver over 25 on her insurance, but for some reason when renewing her policy earlier this year she forgot to have it added. Have learned a massive lesson from this and thankyou once again for the swift replies Nikki