• Tweets

• There's no facility for a settlement "out of court" as such. But matters that are started under the "Single Justice" (SJ) Procedure can often be concluded without the defendant appearing. The SJ procedure, as the name suggests, involves a single magistrate, sitting in an office with a legal advisor, dealing with matters "on papers" only. Nobody else can attend. The SJ deals with straightforward guilty pleas. Anything where the SJ believes the defendant should appear, or which should be dealt with by the "ordinary" court are adjourned o a hearing in the normal magistrates'  court .As well as this, all defendants have the right to a hearing in the normal court if they wish. Nobody is forced to have their case heard under he SJP.  In particular, as far as traffic matters go, a SJ will not disqualify a driver and if a ban is to be considered, the case will be passed over to the normal court. Because, following your SD, you will be pleading Not Guilty (and offering the "deal"), your case would usually be heard in the normal court, meaning a personal appearance. To be honest, performing your SD at the court is a more straightforward way of doing things. It avoids any possible hitches involved in serving he SD on the court. But of course, as I said, most courts have backlogs which mean an SD may not be quickly accommodated. If you do end up doing your SD before a solicitor, check with them the protocol for serving it on the court. Do let us know what the solicitor says about Wednesday.    
    • Welcome to posting on CAG cabot, people will be along soon to help you try to sort this out. Please complete this:  
    • Quotes of the day penny mordaunt came out swinging with her broadsword, and promptly decapitated sunak while Nigel Farage, representing Reform UK, made contentious claims about immigration policies, which were swiftly fact-checked during the debate.   Good question though raised at labour about the 2 child benefit cap, which I broadly agree with, but the tory 'trap' assumes tory thinking - rather than child centric thinking. There should be no incentives to have kids as a financial way of life paid for by everyone else ... ... BUT the kids should not be made to suffer for the decisions of their parents Free school meals would feed the kids, improve their ability to learn, and incentivise them to go to school. As an added benefit ... it would invest in our nations future.   How far this should go is a matter for costing, social intent and future path of the nation, but not feeding our nations kids is an abomination. There should be at least one free school meal per day for every child who attends school. Full Stop. Its the cheapest and most effective investment in our future we could make.
    • Hey people, I've been browsing this amazing forum for the past year and recieved a letter today which has made me require some help. Received a claim form from Cabot in the Civil National Business Centre in regards to an Aqua Credit Card taken out in 2018. I failed to make payments due to financial hardship and have not taken out any credit or uses any forms of credit since. Received a lot of letters from Cabot and their solicitors Mortimer Clarke which I've ignored    By an agreement between New Day Ltd RE Aqua& the Defendant on or around 26/03/2018 ('ths Agreement) New Day Ltd RE Aqua agreed to issue Defendant with a credit card. The Defendant failed to make the minimum payments due. The Agreement was terminated following the service of a default notice. The Agreement was assigned to the named Claimant. Cabot Credit Management Group Limited, acting as servicing agent of the named Claimant through its Appointed Representative (Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited), has arranged for these proceedings to be issued in the name of the Claimant. The named Claimant may be entitled to claim interest under the Agreement but does not seek such interest and instead claims interest under Section 69(1) of the County Courts Act 1984 at 8% p.a.from03/03/2023 until date of issue only, or alternatively such interest as the Court thinks fit THE NAMED CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS 1. 3800.82 2. INTEREST OF 379.84 3. Costs How would I go about this and what could happen? I don't remember much details about the card either.
    • cause like you said in post one, 99% of people think these are FINES (it now reads charge). and wet themselves and cough up. they are not, they are speculative invoices because the driver supposedly broke some imaginary contract by driving onto privately owned land which said owner may or may not have signed some 99% fake contract with a private parking co years ago, thats already expired or has not been renewed or annually paid to employ them dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Council going for liability order for payments they are already getting?

Hacked_Off
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3505 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well after several hundred letter , two councillors on there case and me thinking this was all sorted here we go again.

Two weeks ago i received yet another demand for payment from The Council for £75.57 despite me having an arrangement in place and not once missing a payment. I rang up and was told "the system cant handle me paying it twice a week" .............Also the matter of what money is going were came up. On my bill it states £13 to be paid a week(yet there system "cant handle" me paying weekly)yet she said it was £19 and could not explain why it had 1.gone up and 2. why i was not informed. The next day i paid the £21.57 and she told me to "start paying monthly as there system doesn't know were to put the money". Surely someone should be checking this sort of thing the "system" doesn't put it in an envelope and post it!!!!!! this call incidentally cost me £5 credit. Perhaps i should send them a summons for that!!!......

Their system should be able to handle these payments. My council through its arrogance and negligence with regards Rossendale's fraud attempts, incensed me to the point of paying C.T as randomly as possible including dumping hundreds of coins on their counter and paying instalments by internet banking as little as 1p per transaction. Despite the council perhaps not liking this approach, there was no problem with the system handling it.

It seems from what you're saying that your council, like all others I should think, are using the 'SYSTEM' as a scapegoat. It is not your fault that the authority are happy to employ staff that can't or don't have to think because an automated 'system' can take the wrap for all the cock-ups.

Edited by outlawla

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hacked_Off ...Don't get confuzzled by them...always ask questions when they ask you one..Answer their questions with questions..For instance..when they say.."Our system can't do what you are asking it to do"..your response could be..."Why not?" or "what rules and regulations do you have in place to stop me paying in this manner?"..By doing this you are taking away any controversy they are trying to create. By using their system against them (as outlawla points out above brilliantly), they will get fed up before you will..If their system is not fit for purpose, that is not your fault, and you have expressly pointed out to them that you are making payments, It doesn't matter that you are doing it your own way, Or a way that is financially convenient for you, just that you are paying in a way that you can afford to do so, that doesn't put you in financial hardship for any amount of time. If you tell them this, they are Lawfully obliged to accept any payments you make in any way (with in reason), for them to put you in financial hardship because "their system doesn't like it" is business malpractice and you could sue them for putting you in that position.!

Good Luck and keep plodding on at this..Best wishes and regards Kniggs. :)

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

keep on at them and if you can record any calls you make to them, and also the bailiff if you have to as, they all have selective memory loss when asked to recall anything agreed on the phone.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I plan on sending them a Subject Access Request (assuming the same goes for the council as would say a bank?) along with the £10 fee.

Dear Sir/Madam

Council tax ref no

Address

Date

Data Protection Act 1998 Subject Access Request

Please provide full and complete copies of any and all data you hold which relates to me and my entire history with xxxx council I have enclosed the statutory maximum of £10.

For the avoidance of doubt, take note that the enclosed cheque is payment for the fee relating to my Subject Access Request only and not a payment of any other kind or to be used for any other purpose. If you do not require a fee in order to process my Subject Access Request then kindly return my cheque. /payment

For your convenience I have detailed below a list of what I require, although this is not an exhaustive list by any means and is just an example of some of the information I require with regard to any accounts I may have had or may still have with your company.

1. Computer screen notes relating to my account(s)

2. Computer screen notes relating to transactions that have gone through my account(s) Internal and external

3. Internal and external messages or notes relating to the conduct of my account(s)

4. Internal messages or notes relating to transactions that have gone through my account(s)

5. Recordings of any telephone conversations, whether internal or external, relating to my account(S)

6. Copies of any e-mail's, or other electronic communications, whether internal or external, relating my account(S)

7. Copies of letters relating to my account(S)

8. All information relating to litigation that has taken place on my account(s)in accordance with The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement )Regulations 1992 (Amended)

9. A detailed statement of account(S) showing a breakdown of all costs charged, showing in each case the reason for the cost and the actual cost against that item

10. Copies of all reviews conducted relating to my account(s)

I trust that the above is clear and should you be in any doubt as to your obligations as a Data Controller, then I would advise that you consult your corporate counsel.

As detailed above, I have enclosed the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 40 days in which to comply

Yours faithfully

(You’re Name)

Edited by hallowitch

keep on at them and if you can record any calls you make to them, and also the bailiff if you have to as, they all have selective memory loss when asked to recall anything agreed on the phone.

ive not hear a word from the balifs apart from that one time

ive not hear a word from the balifs apart from that one time

That may well be a good thing whilst the SAR is being processed, but be on your guard, they could turn up randomply.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I have it in writing form the Council that the alledged £60 that was sent to rottendales has been taken back and added to my arrears. I still do not have a figure btw for theses supposed arrears nor when they date to. The only informatin i have on the arrears is they were from were i lived prior to here. When i lived there i was on the dole the whole time so no CT shuld of been payable!

what i have noticed though at the start the full amount owed was just over 800 ive been paying 100 a month since feb so it should be now around 500 but the recent letter says 639. they really are jokers. Im going to pay the 31.57 ( i have not paid for two weeks as i planned on paying monthly so the money is there) tomorrow and then continue with my weekly payments. If there system cant handle that it's not my problem.

I was talking to the girl in the shop were i pay about them and even she said she can time when im coming in each week to pay and other people pay weekly and dont have an issue!

the mind boggles

The big irony is the guy who lived next door to me told me he owes them 2k "it doesnt matter though cos im moving to canada" yet im the one being hounded!!

Edited by Hacked_Off
cant spell

some of you will already know

council tax is paid per financial tax year 1st April till the 31st march

when you move out of a property you inform the council of your move if they don't put this information in the computer and issue a final bill or a nil balance 7 days after the due date of the first missed payment the computer atomically sends out letters and a summons to the address the debt relates to because they don't get a reply they go for a liability order for the remainder of that tax year

you need to find out the the period of the tax year the liability relates to

Thats why im sending them a sar to find all this out because they refuse to provide it!!!

I did defo inform them when i moved out though i had a big pile of letters which i sent out the day i moved.

I'm still getting letters off them for the guy who lived here before me!! Must be a "system error":mad2:

Thats why I'm sending them a SARlink3.gif to find all this out because they refuse to provide it!!!

remember to put your previous address or council tax ref no for previous address also

shower of xxxx

I would phone them again tomorrow and ask (recording the call) for it if they refuse ask why they are refusing to provide this information as you feel they are being obstructive ask to speak to head of revenues or there supervisor when they refuse then tell them you have recorded the call and a solicitor's letter is on it way to the CEO Mr xxxxx

have a google and see if you can find out who administrates your council tax in most cases back office staff are not directly employed by the council (what council is it you are dealing with )

It's Liverpool City Council. In my experience with them they are rife with mistakes and do nt take responsibility. When i finally got off the dole (thank god) i gave them my first payslip to recalculate my HB. I then recieved a letter asking for 6 "within 7 days". I went in and told them i was incapable of time travel to get the payslips within 7 days! It ended up being a big fiasco with me handing in 28 payslips and still reciveing letter to provide payslips! They are an utter sham.

A few weeks ago the staff were protesting outside city call about al the cuts and i was asked what i thught about it by the press. I told they guy they should sack the lot of them and employ people who would actually do what there paid for :p

But anyway ive been trying to find out who the current CEO is so i can send him a stern letter. But all i can find is info on the previous CEO being investigated. Speaks for itself that one.

have a google and see if you can find out who administrates your council tax in most cases back office staff are not directly employed by the council (what council is it you are dealing with )

cant find anything :(

1 November 2010

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-11661935

Liverpool City Council appoints new chief executive

_49725032_gedfitzgerald.jpg Ged Fitzgerald is currently chief executive of Lancashire County Council

Liverpool City Council has appointed a new chief executive, following an outcry over the position's salary.

Ged Fitzgerald, 49, currently chief executive of Lancashire County Council, is due to take up the post in February.

Lead officer: Ged Fitzgerald, CEO Liverpool City Council

Lead officer contact:

Tel. 0151 225 3260

Email: [email protected]

Edited by hallowitch

i think Capita administrate council tax for Liverpool city council

Make sure you head your letter FORMAL COMPLAINT e-mail it to Ged Fitzgerald, CEO

and the complaints department that way it Will be recorded as a formal complain and not just a complaint (if you see what i mean) also ask them for a copy of there complaints procedure

That's some mean info there hallowitch...:madgrin: Remember too that, regardless of whether you are dealing with a county council, city council or any other company they have to follow the rules and regulations they are so happy at slapping us normal folk with..They are a company trading for profit and hold public liability insurance and as such, they come under the regulation of the OFT or Trading standards, phone them and have a chat with someone about your situation, the normal route of the CAB probably won't get you too far in this situation...Phone your Local MP, If you kick enough of a stink up about what they are doing to you, they will act in the proper and appropriate manner..If the Guy hallowitch pointed you to doesn't do anything, advise him of the fact that he could be committing the offense of misfeasance in public office and can be sued too if he fails to ensure your rights as a customer of his company are not treated with in the law, or if they are failing to observe your statutory rights..

Good luck..Kniggs. ..:)

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Yes remind the CEO that although the council has outsourced the council tax administration to Capita and their associated tame bailiffs, THEY remain joint and severally liable vicariously, for the actions of Capita and the bailiffs. So any Ombudsman investigation, any litigation against Capita and bailiffs would include tcouncil as a joint defendant.

Bottom line if Capita stuff up, and harass vulnerable people, press for arrears that are not owed due to miscalculation of Council tax benefit, ultimately the council is still responsible, they cannot deflect blame onto Capita, the buck stops with the council.

I never knew it was Capita. That explains everything.

Ive been onto my MP several times but never recieved a reply. Only a letter sayig they cant comment on how the Council is run. I emailed saying why not? again no reply.

OK

Will try and help with an e-mail tonight sometime if/when i get more time

Hubby usually works away so Ive plenty time to do house work and don't have to cook but he is at home working this week (I'm not a happy bunny)

Basically Liverpool council are claiming to have a liability order for outstanding council tax for your previous address

they have refused to supply you with information regarding this

you informed them when you moved

you were on full council tax rebate at that address for the whole time you lived there

they are sending letters and bailiffs demanding different amounts to be paid

you are paying the amounts demanded but you then receive letters saying you haven't paid

as far as you are aware they are crediting amounts paid to both the council tax for previous address and present address (you have no control how they allocate the payments) this is putting you in arrears with present address and they are now seeking a liability order for present address

What i don't understand is

both address would have different council tax account No why are they not asking you to make payment to

account xxxxx previous address

account xxx present address