• Tweets

• Have we seen your court bundle?   If we haven't then it's probably an idea to post it up here especially the index page and the witness statement so we can see if there is anything which might need adding or changing 
    • "Care to briefly tell someone who isn't tech savvy - i.e. me! - how you did this?" Its pretty simple although not obvious. You open the google maps app > click your profile picture > Click Timeline from the list > click today > choose the date you want to see the timeline from. Then you'll see your timeline for that day. Often, places you have visited will have a question mark beside them where google wants you confirm you have actually visited. You either click 'yes' if you have, or you click 'edit' to enter the actual place you visited. Sometimes, you'll see 'Missing visit' This probably happens if your internet connection has dropped out at that time. You simply click 'Add visit' and enter the place. The internet on my crappy phone often loses connection so I have to do that alot.   OK dx, understood mate. 
    • I have now been given a court date vs Evri, 4th Sept 2024. I have completed my court bundle, when am I expected to send copies to the court and Evri and should it be in hard copy or electronic? The Notice of Allocation states that no later than 7 days before the directions hearing both parties must send to the other party their final offers to settle. Does this mean I will have to tell Evri what I'm willing to settle? Rgds, J
    • Ok how about this to the CEO? I know it sounds super desperate but lets call a spade a spade here, I am super desperate: Dear Sir, On 29th November 2023 I took out a loan of £5000 with you. Unfortunately very early into 2024 I found myself in financial difficulty (unexpected bills and two episodes of sickness and the tax office getting my tax code wrong resulting in less pay for two months) and I contacted you (MCB) on 13th February 2024 asking if there was any way I could extend the length of my loan to 36 months. I fully explained why I was requesting this and asked for your help. I did not receive a reply to that email so I again contacted you on 7th March 2024 to advise you of a change in my circumstances which resulted in me having to take out a DMP and asking you to confirm that the direct debit had been cancelled. You would have also received confirmation of this DMP from StepChange but you did not acknowledge receipt of my email. I have only managed to make one payment from my loan but did try and contact MCB to discuss extending my loan, help etc.  I have now therefore fallen behind on several of my debts, yours included, and as a result you have lodged a Cifas marker against my name for "evasion of payment", which has resulted in me having to change banks, which has been an extremely difficult process because of the Cifas marker. I do not feel you have been fair or given me the opportunity to fully explain my situation to you before you lodged the marker against my name. I appreciate it is a business and you have acted accordingly, but I did try to make contact to arrange alternative arrangements and at no point, not even to this day, did I ever intend to not repay my loan. I cannot stress to you enough how much this has affected my mental health. I am having trouble sleeping and my existing health condition has been exacerbated by all of this. What I would like you to do is to please, please remove the Cifas marker and let me make arrangements to pay the loan back through a DMP.  Please sir, I am begging for your help here. I am not a dishonest person and I have never been in a situation like this before. I am desperately trying to make things right but this marker is killing me. Please can you help me? I look forward to hearing from you. Yours faithfully,
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Doorstep visits by Scotcall - Please Help

simmsy77
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3667 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

Any advice / help would be very much appreciated.

A few weeks ago i returned home to find a hand posted brown envelope from a field representative from Scotcall asking me to phone him urgently on a mobile number.

I have also had numerous phonecalls from Scotcall to my work mobile number which are becoming more frequent.

As i didn't know what the debt was for or who for i ignored them.

Tonight i was at work but my wife returned home from the weekly shop to be approached by a man from Scotcall asking for me,

she explained that i wasn't in and didn't know when i'd be back.

He once again left the same card and left.

Am i right in thinking they are not allowed to do this,

for one it was dark and my wife wasn't best pleasede to be approached by a big balding man wearing a high-vis jacket in an obvious attempt to look official.

This time he had written the debt details on the card, its showing as £806.11 on a TOPMAN storecard which i had years ago (for my sins).

This is an old debt that i stopped paying a few years back as with interest the debt just wasn't coming down.

For example i think the original debt was for about £300, i paid £20 per month for over 2 years and a few years later the debt is now over £800.

I appreciate that i stopped making payments but how i see it i've probably already paid back the original debt amount,

its just the interest and lack of payments has now ramped up to a stupid amount.

Where do i go from here ?

Any help would be very much appreciated,

How old is this Topman account and rougly how long ago did you stop repaying ?

I would suggest that you check your credit record to see what is showing. If it is on there, I would suggest making a request in writing to Scotcall for an up to date statement of account, showing all payments made to the account. Perhaps tell them that you seem to remember having confirmation that the account had been paid, so are not sure why they are chasing. Ask for a breakdown of all interest/charges added to the account.

When you write to Scotcall, tell them that you require all communications in writing, as you are considering taking this matter to the FOS.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Guys

Any advice / help would be very much appreciated.

A few weeks ago i returned home to find a hand posted brown envelope from a field representative from Scotcall asking me to phone him urgently on a mobile number. I have also had numerous phonecalls from Scotcall to my work mobile number which are becoming more frequent. As i didn't know what the debt was for or who for i ignored them.

Tonight i was at work but my wife returned home from the weekly shop to be approached by a man from Scotcall asking for me, she explained that i wasn't in and didn't know when i'd be back. He once again left the same card and left. Am i right in thinking they are not allowed to do this, for one it was dark and my wife wasn't best pleasede to be approached by a big balding man wearing a high-vis jacket in an obvious attempt to look official.

This time he had written the debt details on the card, its showing as £806.11 on a TOPMAN storecard which i had years ago (for my sins). This is an old debt that i stopped paying a few years back as with interest the debt just wasn't coming down. For example i think the original debt was for about £300, i paid £20 per month for over 2 years and a few years later the debt is now over £800.

I appreciate that i stopped making payments but how i see it i've probably already paid back the original debt amount, its just the interest and lack of payments has now ramped up to a stupid amount.

Where do i go from here ? Any help would be very much appreciated,

Hi Welcome to CAG,

Doorstep collections are unfortunately allowable, was the card handed to your wife without it being in an envelope?

Have Scotcall put anything in writting officially regarding the alleged debt?#How long ago did you stop paying the account.

Please do not send any letters yet, just check your credit files asap and come back here.

If this person comes back you you can just tell him to leave and that all communicatio is to be in writting.

Copy this and hand it to him if he calls again.

Take note we do NOT discuss any business matter at the door, no further visits to this address are acceptable and all communication must be in writting no telephone calls, e-mails or sms text messages are to be sent to any of the numbers you have on file.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

i think the account must be between 5 and 7 years old and i know i havn't made a payment for at least 2-3 years, there is a chance i still owe on this account but my guess is the majority of the balance due is late payment charges and interest after all the original credit limit was only £300.

I am thinking of sending them the letter telling them not to turn up at my house as its against OFT Guidelines and will and include your advice above. Shall i ask them to prove that they have the legal right to chase this debt ? (request a cca)

thanks very much for your reply

The Oft Guidance is that basically a DCA should respect the wishes of the debtor as to when, where and how they are contacted send the letter to their compliance manager.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Hi Welcome to CAG,

Doorstep collections are unfortunately allowable, was the card handed to your wife without it being in an envelope?

Have Scotcall put anything in writting officially regarding the alleged debt?#How long ago did you stop paying the account.

Please do not send any letters yet, just check your credit files asap and come back here.

If this person comes back you you can just tell him to leave and that all communicatio is to be in writting.

Copy this and hand it to him if he calls again.

Take note we do NOT discuss any business matter at the door, no further visits to this address are acceptable and all communication must be in writting no telephone calls, e-mails or sms text messages are to be sent to any of the numbers you have on file.

Thankyou for your quick reply, the card handed to my wife was in a brown envelope. I havn't made any payments for approx 2-3 years. They've been trying to phone me for ages but because it was a voice recording and i didn't know what it was regarding i ignored the them. How do i go about checking my credit files ?

What is the worst scenario here, could they take me to court ?

Thankyou for your quick reply, the card handed to my wife was in a brown envelope. I havn't made any payments for approx 2-3 years. They've been trying to phone me for ages but because it was a voice recording and i didn't know what it was regarding i ignored the them. How do i go about checking my credit files ?

What is the worst scenario here, could they take me to court ?

They could, but first things first. Check your credit file to see what is showing and who actually OWNS the debt - has it been purchased, if so by whom and who are Snotcall acting for?

Then you can look at requests for information - CCA request, statement of account and if necessary a SAR to get full details of what has been added as unlawful penalty charges. Was there any PPI on the card perhaps?

To check your credit files you can go to the Experian website (or the other agencies) and pay £2 or you can access information on Noddle for free.

Don't worry - you are a long way from any court action at this stage, even if they own the debt, and they could do little without complying with lawful requests, so gather information and then act accordingly. You will get plenty of help at every stage, but first and foremost, get the doorstep caller note suggested by Brig printed to get this clown to stay away.

Edited by Sidewinder
Amended details in last para

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

They could, but first things first. Check your credit file to see what is showing and who actually OWNS the debt - has it been purchased, if so by whom and who are Snotcall acting for?

Then you can look at requests for information - CCA request, statement of account and if necessary a SAR to get full details of what has been added as unlawful penalty charges. Was there any PPI on the card perhaps?

To check your credit files you can go to the Experian website (or the other agencies) and pay £2 or you can access information on Noddle for free.

Don't worry - you are a long way from any court action at this stage, even if they own the debt, and they could do little without complying with lawful requests, so gather information and then act accordingly. You will get plenty of help at every stage, but first and foremost, get the doorstep caller note suggested by Brig printed to get this clown to stay away.

Thats great, i will take your advice which is very much appreciated.

In the meantime is it best to print the doorstop caller note that Brig posted to give it to him in person when he next calls or should i send via recorded delivery to their offices ? (Some advice that i've seen says never to make contact with them). That will make us feel alot better, its a horrible feeling knowing that this clown could turn up any minute on any day

ok i've looked on Noddle and account was originally opened in February 2004,

the last payment made was in December 2010.

Payment history only goes back until 2006 though.

Like i thought the majority of this debt must be interest as i havn't used the store card in at least 5-6 years,

the report shows i made over £180 in payments in 2009 alone,

and i'd be very suprised if i ever made more than £250 total in purchases.

I remember going into the store to buy shoes originally and being persuaded to take a store card when i had the money to pay for them outright.....

..what an idiot but you learn from your mistakes.

To be honest there is noway i can afford the £806 they want and out of principle i dont want to pay that much for a pair of shoes and a few shirts,

especially when i've probably already paid the original amount 2 times over

Standard storecard stuff - draw you in then hit you with high interest and charges to then add further interest.

Advice not to contact them is generally good until they come up with something worth responding to. In your case, you have checked and the account does not seem to be Statute Barred - does it give details of who owns the account now? Only the original creditor, or the new owner if the account has been sold on, would be able to enforce any debt through a court. The next step after establishing ownership would certainly be to look at the paperwork, so as stated above a request for information may be in order, backed up by a formal CCA request (there MAY be an argument on unenforceability if they cannot produce an agreement), then a SAR for full details of charges applied plus the interest on those, if necessary. At the end of all that you may be in a position to offer a Full and Final amount to settle at a rate you agree that you owe.

Definitely wait for now until you get more details from the DCA.

Oh - and if you do write - always head the letter with 'I do not acknowledge any debt to you or any company that you claim to represent' and do not sign with your normal signature - print in capitals or sign and then put a line through it - it is not unknown for an agreement to surface with your signature lifted from a letter!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Standard storecard stuff - draw you in then hit you with high interest and charges to then add further interest.

Advice not to contact them is generally good until they come up with something worth responding to. In your case, you have checked and the account does not seem to be Statute Barred - does it give details of who owns the account now? Only the original creditor, or the new owner if the account has been sold on, would be able to enforce any debt through a court. The next step after establishing ownership would certainly be to look at the paperwork, so as stated above a request for information may be in order, backed up by a formal CCA request (there MAY be an argument on unenforceability if they cannot produce an agreement), then a SAR for full details of charges applied plus the interest on those, if necessary. At the end of all that you may be in a position to offer a Full and Final amount to settle at a rate you agree that you owe.

Definitely wait for now until you get more details from the DCA.

Oh - and if you do write - always head the letter with 'I do not acknowledge any debt to you or any company that you claim to represent' and do not sign with your normal signature - print in capitals or sign and then put a line through it - it is not unknown for an agreement to surface with your signature lifted from a letter!

ok thanks sidewinder...firstly i am going to write to Scotcall requesting that all future correspondence is via post taking on board your advice above. The original creditor is listed on my credit report as Santander Group (TopMan) but has no mention of Scotcall so i will then follow up with another letter to Scotcall requesting more information on who owns the debt etc before deciding my next step.

My only concern is that Scotcall havn't given me any indication of a reference number or account number to quote when i make contact so hopefully my name and address will be enough info to start with.

the owner will be listed against the debt on the cra file.

sar satans bank ASAP

and get reclaiming

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

the owner will be listed against the debt on the cra file.

sar satans bank ASAP

and get reclaiming

dx

thanks DX, just a quick question.

I've looked at my Credit Report on Noddle and the Lender against the debt is listed as Santander Cards UK (Top Man) and not Scotcall who not mentioned anywhere.

Does that mean that the debt hasn't been sold onto Scotcall, so if i write for information such as CCA etc should i be sending this to Santander rather than Scotcall ?

That's good, do as DX said and get a SAR off to Satans Bank they still own the debt.

There is a £10 fee to py Satans have 40 days to reply, use the template from the Cag library address it to The data controller alo a CCA request to scottcall £1 fee payable the have 12+2 working days to reply, again template in the library, address to the compliance manager.

Hi Guys

After recently receiving 'Home Visits' by ScotCall regarding an old Topman card (via Santander) i sent them a letter requesting future correspondance to be in writing and that a 'Doorstop Visit' was not welcome (i sent letter from CAG Library)

ScotCall have very kindly written back to me this morning stating:

"The case you have referred to is not applicable to your circumstances, as part of the credit agreement that you entered into, you agreed to pay the full balance and where necessary, the creditor could recover debt by outsourcing the debt to a third party, which included by way of doorstep collection"

"Therefore the license that you state has been revoked and is irrelevent, we are entitled by law and under contract to recover monies outstanding and we are allowed to take reasonable steps in accordance with regulatory guidance to recover such monies"

Please Help - I am posting a CCA Request to them this morning, but just wanted to check where i stand with regards to doorstep visits, if i request all contact to be in writing and that i don't want a doorstep visit don't they have to agree to this under OFT Guidance etc ?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Agree - ignore - they have no rights full stop. As PGH states unlikely to call but if they do it will be some poor unfortunate on commission only. If they do call - and you are confident - answer door taking a photo of them whilst on the phone to police and if you can photo car reg for evidence. turn the tables and put the frighteners on them.

not just scotcall i have had the same responce off BCW group

replied stating that any agreement entered into could not overwrite my friends legal rights

they gave in and passed it to a third agency

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

The answer is simple, you are NOT obliged in anyway to discuss your personal finance with a stranger (weirdo) who turns up at your door, ''INVITE'' the to leave.!!!

Scottcall are as usual talking nonsense, I have looked through an archive of paper work/agreements for many types of credit facilities and can find No reference to doorstep collection as part of the Ts & Cs. of standard accounts.

The only reference is found in the Provident style loan collected by an agent.

This is a part of the OFT's advice on Debt Collection-http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/OFT664Rev.pdf

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/OFT664Rev.pdf

Debt collection visits

3.12 Those visiting debtors must not act in a threatening manner or be unclear about the purpose of the visit.

3.13 Examples of unfair or improper practices are:

a. not making clear the purpose and intended outcome of any proposed visit

For example, it is not sufficient to inform the debtor that collectors or field agents will visit him and not tell him the intended purpose of the visit.

b. visiting a debtor at a time when it is understood or suspected that he is, or may be, particularly vulnerable53

For example, when a doctor’s certificate has been provided stating that the debtor is ill.

c. not leaving the debtor's property when it becomes apparent that he is unduly distressed or otherwise is, or appears as if he may be, particularly vulnerable54

g. not giving adequate notice to the debtor of the time and date of a visit

You could write to Scotcall and ask if they feel that their T&Cs outweigh both the Law and the OFT's advice on Debt Collection. Let them know that their response will be sent to the OFT should

they not call off any intended visits or should they fail to respond that will be treated as if they will continue with doorstep visits.

Scottcall have no Ts & Cs of their own and rely solely on the inherited ones from the original agreement, if the specific action is not specfied I think they would have difficulty in arguing that the are allowed in law to visit an alleged debtors home.

As I explained to one of these chancers that appeared at my daughter's door, every action has a reaction & I calmly and politely invited him to leave under his own fruition otherwise he would be assisted using the minimal force necessary to ensure he did. Obviously I alerted him to the fact that the gate was in fact closed & as it wasn't an automatically opening one there would be a distinct possibility that he would acquire a few splinters during his departure. The growling cross Alsatian at my side underlined my request. ;)

You dispute my ability to revoke your license to attend my property under the credit agreement you allege that I entered in to.

I would therefore be grateful if you would forward a copy of the same for my inspection fortwith.

You will also be aware of the guidance for Debt Collection issued by the Office of Fair Trading 2011. I am disappointed that I have to point out Section 3.3(k). An obligation that your compliance with is a requirement of your license and you will be fully aware of.

You will not contact me by any other means than in writing.

I would be sorely tempted to send something like this.