• Tweets

• The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted. The bridge lender had a special condition in loan offer - their own lawyer had to check title first.  Check that lease wasn't onerous and there was nothing that would affect good saleability.  The lawyer (that got sacked for dishonesty) signed off the loan on the basis the lease and title was good and clean.  The same law firm then tried to complain the lease clauses were onerous and the lease too short, even though the loan was to cover a 90y lease extension!! 
    • Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Experto/Varde now Arrow/Shoos Claimform - old MBNA card debt

roygoodbeat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3889 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a bit of advice.

After MBNA sold the debt onto experto during the during the default notice period, I have since been requesting proof of sale from both parties. I have also written to mbna accepting their unlawful rescession of the agreement.

They have denied it and stated that the debt had been identified for sale prior to the default notice and was sold after this. Experto verbally stated that this was sold to them prior to the default notice and wrote during the default notice period.

Please read earlier on this forum which shows the dates. The default notice was also incorrect.

I have made a subject access request to Experto, but they have hardly sent anything. After I last wrote to them demanding proof of sale and requesting that they send all the requested info, MBNA have since written stating that the account has been assigned to Experto. I then get another letter from Experto stating that they have purchased the account from MBNA.

Are they trying to cover their tracks and what can I do about it. Fed up with the treatening calls, lack of co-operation, not responding to my lawful requests and MBNA/ Experto playing their games.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It says

" We are writing to advise you that Varde Investments (Ireland) Limited has bought the interest of MBNA Europe Bank Limited in the above referenced account, including the outstanding balance. Consequently, Varde Investments (Ireland) Limited are now the legal owner of your account.

Under the terms of this assignment, Experto Credite Ltd have been appointed by Varde Investments (Ireland) to recover any and all outstanding amounts"

This is the same notice I received dated 13th October 2009. The default notice was issued on the 9th October 2009 by MBNA.

I have a screen shot showing that experto had this on their system on the 30th September 2009.

In response to this I received the following today:

You have contacted me once again regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself to you.

I am familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive and unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question and that you are in fact the legal owners of the alleged debt. It is not unreasonable for someone to request proof of this and your reluctance to provide this leads me to believe that you are attempting to demand money that you are not legally entitled to. I have requested this on a number of occasions, specifically proof of ownership.

I refer to my letter dated 13th February 2010 and my subject access request, a copy of which is attached. First you acknowledge receipt of this and now you deny that you have ever received this. This was signed for by yourselves on the 15th February and this constitutes proof of receipt in law. During a recent conversation you requested that I send another payment of £10. This has been already sent to you and you have failed to send all the information requested and therefore have committed an offense. I require that you send everything that has been requested including statements, deed of assignment and any proof of sale to you, including confirmation of dates that you acquired the alleged debt.

I await this information or I require your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office of Fair Trading of your actions.

I would also once again remind you that I require all communication in writing only. I have repeated asked you not to call myself and yet you continue to ignore my lawful request. I will not tolerate threats over the phone from any of your staff or anyone speaking to myself in an aggressive tone. I have attempted to find a solution in this matter but you continue to act unhelpfully or lawfully with my legal requests. You have continued to delay this and any further breaches made by you may result in legal action being taken against to you. Any costs involved would be sought against yourselves.

The reply was from experto

I write to confirm receipt of your letter dated **** the contencts of which have been noted and in repsonse.

Your second paragraph quotes the OFT "it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question".

Can I take it that you are not claiming to be ******** that signed the credit agreement in 1994.

Should this be the case, we are not in a position to supply any information to you if there is a suggection that this matter was taken out fraudulently by a third party. To do so would breech Data Protection. However, for the following reasons I am satisfied you and the signatory are one of the same:

Signature provided matches the that of the specimen cheque (photocopied to a letter dated 13th Febuary 2010) This was my subject access request that they signed for, received, acknowledged, then denied ever receiving.

The same letter states (I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to yourselves or MBNA. However on page 2 you readily admit to the wrong doing and mishamdiling of my account.

If- as you maintain, you are not liable for this matter, I invite you to report this to your local police station as fraud.

I have made the decision not to supply you with any further information, at your reference of a possbile fraud. I look forward to receiving your response with a generated crime refernce number from your local police.

Finally, I question an individuals ability to dispute a matter (which has been detailed) taht does not actually concern the individual who has no alleged liabilty.

Any advice??? The person who signed this is the same unhelpful person who I spoke to recently who was very rude and would not listen.

I am fed up with this company, MBNA and this person as they are trying to bend the rules and law.

Looks like they are refusing to honour my subject access request and will not produce any documents. Furthermore neither them or MBNA will give me the exact arrears whebn they unlawfully rescended my agreement.

Any ideas on a reply??

Hi Roy,

Seems like a stalemate situation, I don't really know what to suggest really but would mind seeing what others think, as I too expect to be in a similar position with these people.

Not the best day to get answers on here with the changes to the website today, but at least it will give your thread a bump

Hi Roy,

Seems like a stalemate situation, I don't really know what to suggest really but would mind seeing what others think, as I too expect to be in a similar position with these people.

Not the best day to get answers on here with the changes to the website today, but at least it will give your thread a bump

Hi Roy,

I agree.

They are refusing to act on my subject access request and despite signing for this and receiving this, they now are ignoring this. I have checked and they have not banked my £10 which they received and signed for. MBNA did a similar tactic when I approached them in April last year.

MBNA and they are refusing to advise me of the arrears at the time of the default, the max I am now liable for.

They are refusing to give proof of ownership and do not want to co-operate.

MBNA just write and request that it is with Experito now and to write to them.

I can't edit my previous post but obviously I meant that I wouldn't mind seeing what other people thought about this.

Your not the first I have read where MBNA are dragging their heels on SAR. It could be that they have realised what they have done wrong with selling on before expiry of possibly faulty DNs' and don't want to give you the proof of this, which would be within their logs!

I think you now have to complain to the ICO in order to force MBNA's hand.

Hi RGB,

It certainly looks like a stalemate where, in the last letter to you, they are twisting your comments so they can then hide behind Data Protection laws.

If you want to get a full SAR response, approach the ICO if you have time to spare. If you want a faster response and think something useful may be shown in a SAR response, start court action. See Article 20 or thereabouts in the Bank Templates Library.

This will not normally get you sight of the credit agreement.

On the other hand, you could just ignore the demands and phone calls. If they want to take court action for the account, they will then HAVE to produce the credit agreement if, in fact, they have it.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Need some quick advice.

I have an MBNA agree- Ex HBOS- that has an invalid default notice. To start with it does not give the correct timescales to rectify the breach and secondly it shows the full balance, not the amount outstanding at the time of the default.

Is this unlawful termination or unlawfully recended.

I have a second agreement ex Morgan Stanley with the same above, but they sold during the default period.

I have found some of my old statements and I now have a clear picture of events:

29th April- MBNA signed for my subject access request. This was sent outside the 40 day period in August. MBNA broke the sixth principle of the Data Protection Act.

1st July- MBNA went into dispute by not replying to my section 77/78 request. They wrote a week later saying that they

could not retrieve the docments. It was not until the 27th Septmebr, I received a front copy of the agreement. No T&C's.

27th July- Statatory Notice served on MBNA under section 10 of Data Protection Act giving them 14 days. Never had a reply and they continued to process data and pass onto other parties.

Now the history of the default notice.

On statement 21st Sep, Arrears were £1062.66 with balance about £10,321

9th October Default Notice sent for toal amount of £10,321, not the arrears, to be paid by 26th October.

A letter dated 23rd October was sent by Experto saying that the debt had been sold to varde and they had been appointed. Were demanding the full amount.

I have had a screen print from Experto and it states the 30th Sep it was up loaded unto their system. One of their staff said that they would have been sold the debt between the 30th Sep and the time the letter was sent to me.

On my MBNA Statements they show:

21Oct- Charge of Adjustment on the 30th Sep 09 brings the balance to 0.

but on the next statement.

28th Oct- States balance from prev statement is £10,321 and on the 19th Oct it states: Zero charge on Sold Account. bringing the balance to 0

I have written to MBNA accepting the unlawful recession. They wrote back and stated that it was not unlawful recession and that they account was identified in Mid October and only sold on the 31st October. This contridicts the info and evidence I have.

Hopefully this all makes sense. Can anyone give me an idea what I am liable for. From what I understand, as the default notice was invalid, it is only the arrears I am liable for.

This is also less Interest Charges (Is that from the 1st of July went the account went into dispute)

Less any unlawful charges (Only £72 after the 1st July) plus £94 before this date.

I understand that I can claim against unlawful reccession. Does this also apply to the breach in my Subject Access Request, Section 10 of Data Protection Act, their breach of my section 77/78 request and refusal to remove my telephone number from their system?

In addition, Experto refuse to stop calling me, send me all the documents that I have made under another Subject Access Request and keep harressing me?

Can anyone give me an idea of what I could expect (Guide to average amounts I can claim) what I can do and am I right in all this?

Thanks

(I want to nail this and prepare myself)

I have had an on going problem with MBNA and Experto. To cut a long story short, here is a brief guide to the breakdown:

I have found some of my old statements and I now have a clear picture of events:

29th April-
MBNA
link3.gif
signed for my Subject access request
link3.gif
. This was sent outside the 40 day period in August. MBNA broke the sixth principle of the Data Protection Act.

1st July- MBNA went into dispute by not replying to my section 77/78 request. They wrote a week later saying that they could not retrieve the docments. It was not until the 27th Septmebr, I received a front copy of the agreement. No T&C's.

27th July- Statatory Notice served on MBNA under section 10 of Data Protection Act giving them 14 days. Never had a reply and they continued to process data and pass onto other parties.

Now the history of the default notice.

On statement 21st Sep, Arrears were £1062.66 with balance about £10,321

9th October Default Notice sent for toal amount of £10,321, not the arrears, to be paid by 26th October.

A letter dated 23rd October was sent by Experto saying that the debt had been sold to varde and they had been appointed. Were demanding the full amount.

I have had a screen print from Experto and it states the 30th Sep it was up loaded unto their system. One of their staff said that they would have been sold the debt between the 30th Sep and the time the letter was sent to me.

On my MBNA Statements they show:

21Oct- Charge of Adjustment on the 30th Sep 09 brings the balance to 0.

but on the next statement.

28th Oct- States balance from prev statement is £10,321 and on the 19th Oct it states: Zero charge on Sold Account. bringing the balance to 0

I have written to MBNA accepting the unlawful recession. They wrote back and stated that it was not unlawful recession and that they account was identified in Mid October and only sold on the 31st October. This contridicts the info and evidence I have.

Hopefully this all makes sense. Can anyone give me an idea what I am liable for. From what I understand, as the default notice was invalid, it is only the arrears I am liable for.

This is also less interest
link3.gif
Charges (Is that from the 1st of July went the account went into dispute)

Less any unlawful charges (Only £72 after the 1st July) plus £94 before this date.

I understand that I can claim against unlawful reccession. Does this also apply to the breach in my Subject access request
link3.gif
, Section 10 of Data Protection Act, their breach of my section 77/78 request and refusal to remove my telephone number from their system?

In addition, Experto refuse to stop calling me, send me all the documents that I have made under another Subject Access Request and keep harressing me?

Can anyone give me an idea of what I could expect (Guide to average amounts I can claim) what I can do and am I right in all this?

Thanks

(I want to nail this and prepare myself)

no creditor has ever., to my knowledge written back in response to an unlawful repuddation acceptance and admitted that it is wrong!

A Dn claiming the full account balance in order to remedy it is as near to a 100% defective DN as one is ever going to get- as it would be impossible for the debtor to lawfully comply with it

sit back and do nothing

wait for any service of legal proceedings but dont hold your breath- as they will, i suspect never materialise

buy yourself a truecall if you can afford one

print off a few c opies of a standard "go on sucker make my day" responses to debt collectors and then sit back and marlk a date . 6 years from your last payment- on your diary

They made a lot of mistakes on DN's around this date. I have one.

When you request a copy, the defect of 100% demand will be rectified.

With both documents in your hand, it could be very persuasive in ridiculing all of their reconstructions!

Vint

The person with whom I have spoken to Experto is very rude and unwilling to comply with my subject access request. My last letter stated that unless they can provide proof of ownership and compliance with my subject access request, I will not write to them further.

Surely if they reproduce a corrected default notice, this is against the law and is possibly fraudulant?

I know that if a judge accepts the unlawful rescession of the account, what can I claim against them in terms of costs?

Bump.

Can anyone else advise?

I'm in exactly the same position with a similar timeline and accounts sold around about the same time.

I wrote to MBNA re unlawful recession and got a voicemail and letter from a chap called I*n H*nter.

I believe it is. He's the head honcho so my letter's obviously got their attention. The voicemail he left wen along the lines of ' I know you've cut and pasted from the internet and I'm not sure what you're requesting - please call me back to discuss' . Yeah right! He responded with a 'we're requesting the information you wanted' type letter so I'm giving them a reasonable amount of time before the next stage. I'll post the doc's when I get home.

Without prejudice

Sounds like the same guy who has left me messages and with whom I have spoken. The person is very rude and arrogant. Started spouting the Waksman ruling and that I had to pay. I advised him that they had not sent all the information requested from my subject access request. He denied receiving it despite proof of postage, and his staff stating that they had it. I ended up hanging up on him due to his threatening behaviour.

I wrote to him asking for proof of ownership and confirmation of when the alleged debt was sold. I also enclosed the proof of postage and receipt (by Recorded)

He wrote back stating that he would not comply with my subject access request. He also dismissed the proof of receipt and copy of original letter.

I have written back advising them that it has been noted that they are refusing to comply with the law and that I will not write or speak to them again until such proof has been sent.

Waiting to hear from them.

• 1 month later...

And now after hissing down the phone at me denying that they had ever received my subject access request and refusing to send me the details (After initially signing for it and saying they had it) I now get a letter saying, we acknowledge you have sent it and will send out the information in due course. The request was made in February.

I suspect they are going to try another tactic, probally send me partital info, then say they have sent all of it, now pay up...

I don't think so. I have more than a claim against them if it came to court.

• 4 weeks later...

And then out of the blue, MBNA write with my section 78 request made in June 2009. They stated that this is incomplete and they will not take any court action at this time. Only when they have retreived all the info. They also stated that payments should continue to be paid as per Carey V HSBC case.

The current credit agreement they have sent only has my address on it and the 'original credit agreement' is an illegible photo copy of an application form, not containing the prescribed t&c's.

This account is still in dispute as they have unlawfully terminated the agreement due to an invalid default notice. As far as I am concerned I am only liable for the arrears at the time, which they have said is the full amount on the default noticed, less unlawful charges and claim for unlawful termination.

Any suggestions on what to reply? Does the OFT guildlines still apply on debt collection if the account is clearly in dispute?

Any suggestions to write back.

• 1 month later...

At long last Experto have sent my Subject Access Request, however, all they have supplied is computer printouts from their call log and what they are calling a deed of assignment from MBNA (Which has never been received)

Perhaps people can give me advice on this. They state that this is all they have on file for me:

1) Call Log- This starts from November 2009, however, they have had the account since 30th September. From a previuos request, they sent another call log dated from this date. It now appears that this is now missing. The default date was 30th Sep and the letter from experto came in between the default date and remedy by. Also I have noticed they have tried to work out the equity in my home and marked it on the log.

2) The deed of assignment is on a MBNA paper. It reads:

Account Number: XXX

Customers Full Name: XXX

Last Known Address: XXX

Date Account Opened: date in 1994

Default Date: 30th Sep 2009

Assigned Balance: £xxx

Agreement Type: Credit Card

Dear Sir/ Madam

We confirm that the balance outstanding under the following account has now been assigned to Varde Investments, address in Ireland.

In accordance with the aforementioned assignment to Varde Investments Ltd, now holds all legal rights, authorities and obligations to the same.

Yours Faithfully

XXXX

That's all it reads. Looks like a cover letter, not dated.

Can anyone tell me what it should contain?

In terms of the subject access request, they still have not confirmed the date they purchased the debt despite a number of requests, plus there is very little information. I have the front copy of the original application from beneficical bank, but nothing that complies with the Waksman ruling or the OFT guidelines on what should be suppled under a section 78.

Any advice on what to write back? The outstanding balance of the default should have been about £934, not the full amount outstanding. I have written and accepted the unlawful rescession of the agreement.

Thanks in advance