Who are Claimfast and why are the AA pushing them on me? Trustworthy?

Dick Emery
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3720 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Earlier today I had someone hit my car with theirs while turning from a main road into a side street.

They jumped the gun and tried to pull out whilst I was turning.

They deny liability stating that I cut them up (I did not).

They damaged my rear drivers side door and wheel arch and they damaged their front bumper on the corner(ish).

I contacted the AA and went through it with them and they said I would have to pay a £350 excess on repairs (I am fully comp with protected no claims discount but no legal protection).

They then pushed me onto a company called Claimfast which they said would meet all my costs and only require a £1 payment on my credit card (I guess for security reasons?).

I was not sure so they suggested that I would be better off going through Claimfast as I would not have to worry about any costs.

I spoke to Claimfast who said they would send someone to assess the damage to my car, arrange repair and a hire car whilst it is in the workshop.

Although I have agreed to go ahead with them I have yet to receive or sign for anything (obviously).

After the phone call I did some Googling on this company and get a mixed bag of results.

Apparently Claimfast make money from hire companies, repairers and hire car costs claimed back from the third party insurer.

When the third party refuses to pay up due to them either disputing the insurance claim or the costs of car hire

then Claimfast have to take them to court which 'may' require you to attend to give evidence.

That's pretty damned crazy and a bit scary to me!

I am very distrustful of this and am wondering if I should forget using Claimfast and just cough up the £350 excess and let the AA deal with it (even though the accident was not my fault).

It's very confusing and unsettling! I thought it would be straightforward but it's not. :|

Edited by Dick Emery

May I ask a simple question here please? On the junction into which you were turning are there broken white lines (give way markers) which have a solid white line along the centre of the road to meet the broken line at the actual junction: _ _ _ _ _

l

l

Where was your vehicle at the point of collision.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I ask this because if your vehicle is any where over the unbroken white line where it meets the give way broken lines you may have a problem.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

I looked on Google streetview and the third party side has two sets of broken lines and my side has one set of broken lines.

EDIT: For me to have cut her up as she claims would have meant I would have to drive on the other side of the main road.

Here is a photo of the junction in question. I've ommited the place names just in case this comes back and bites me on the bum.

http://102.imagebam.com/download/EU24k0QlV5w81aeo81Yc0g/21278/212773807/street.jpg

Edited by Dick Emery

It is the long broken line where is meets the double broken give way lines meet that matter if you have ''cut' the corner they have a point.

I did not cut the corner. Of course it's their word against mine as there were no witnesses (unless they falsify a witness statement which can happen). Anyhow back on topic. The AA want me to deal with Claimfast. This is the main issue here.

I guess that claimfast are their appointed handler so you should cooperate, remember AA are merely brokers.

Hi

Do you know if their are any CCTV Cameras on that street?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I did not cut the corner. Of course it's their word against mine as there were no witnesses (unless they falsify a witness statement which can happen). Anyhow back on topic. The AA want me to deal with Claimfast. This is the main issue here.

They are just the AA's preferred Accidenet Management Company ("AMC") who as you say will arange for inspection and repair and probably a credit hire car as well. If liability is disupted then obviously it would have to go to Court to settle if it could not be agreed beforehand, and yes you would need to attend as technically the bill for the credit hire car is YOUR responsibility.

No doubt the AA will also get several hundreds pounds worth of a referral fee for sending over your case to the AMC. I am guess that you are not claiming for an injury, just vehicle damage?

My own personal view is that I hate AMCs but I guess they have their place for non disputed accidents...

I am not claiming for injury. Just damage. The third party driver DOES dispute it (saying I cut the corner). However I don't know if their insurer will.

I asked what happens if I was to lose for any reason and Claimfast stated that even in that eventuality they would cover it as they are insured against it themselves and they only take on claims they believe they can win.

The part about being liable and attending court worries me. I am wondering if I should phone the AA and tell them to proceed as normal and just cough up the £350 excess and be done with it.

I am not claiming for injury. Just damage. The third party driver DOES dispute it (saying I cut the corner). However I don't know if their insurer will.

I asked what happens if I was to lose for any reason and Claimfast stated that even in that eventuality they would cover it as they are insured against it themselves and they only take on claims they believe they can win.

The part about being liable and attending court worries me. I am wondering if I should phone the AA and tell them to proceed as normal and just cough up the £350 excess and be done with it.

If liability is disputed to the end thenno matter who deals with it Court proceedings are likely.

• 1 year later...

I had a truly dreadful experience with Claimfast in 2013. My SLK was rear-end shunted whilst parked in a driveway by a little old lady trying to do a 3 point turn . I regret allowing Saga to use Claimfast to "manage" the repair. Claimfast's choice of garage was a long way from home and the garage kept finding more damage and waiting for authorisation. The car came back after 4 months but the dink in the front bumper as drawn on the claim form had not been repaired. Saga allowed me to get that done locally and settled against an invoice by cheque. Meanwhile Claimfast were happy to arrange hire cars for me when I needed them and when I asked for an equivalent car like a cabriolet, they hired me a Jaguar XF at £296 per day. After 2 months Claimfast made me return the Jag because my car was ready (not delivered back just ready "read the small print sir". When my car failed to come home it turned out that Claimfast were only assuming that the car was ready and hadn't checked with the garage - who found yet more damage. The write-off value of the car was less than £3k. Claimfast must have incurred £2 to £3 of repair costs and £6k of car hire costs. No cost to meas long as I have "mitigated my losses" by returning hire cars when I went on holiday etc. but they now want me to be prepared to go to court to help them get the money from the third party. After 3 months I wrote a stinking letter to Saga about this and was given a Personal Case manager and a cheque for £150 for time spent on the phone to Claimfast and Saga, who up to then had never rang back when they said they would. If I go to court or submit a witness statement it may not be as helpful to Clailmfast as they might be hoping. Saga lost me to RIAS over this.

It was 100% no blame situation so no excess to pay and NCD not affected and no uninsured loss. If Claimfast lose the case Claimfast lose money maybe for Saga. As long as I assist them with their in the court case I am not liable for any costs. BTW no one can be asked to not tell the truth to a court.