Ive been paying so why have they sold the debt on?

dorishaslop
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4242 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a debt with Barclaycard, it's only for £175 but I am on DLA and finding things hard, I have been paying them £2 per month as I have my other debts (some of which are for thousands of pounds.) all the other lenders have been great and have accepted my payments. This morning I get a letter from Mercers telling me I need to pay £30 to clear the arrears. I am sure that B/c have previously charged me late fees and I may even have PPI with them, how can I find out? Thanks in advance for any helpful replies. xx Jan xx:|

Mercers IS Barclaycard, so it may not have been sold.

Do you know what the account balance is? Are you being sent statements?

PPI would have been itemised on your monthly statements. You should also ask for a copy of your CCA to see if any boxes were ticked.

Before I found CAG Mercers were about the worst of the DCAs contacting me, involving letters and phonecalls several times a week hounding me with various threats. I did manage to get them to accept small reduced payments for a time but they started threats again.

A simple CCA request for each Barclayshark account was all it took to stop them in their tracks. They didn't even reply and so I stopped all payments without contacting them further, and (I'm probably tempting fate) I haven't heard a dickybird from them since. That was about 3 years ago for both my Barclayshark accounts and almost 4 years for one of my partners two accounts (her other one is actually 34p in credit - a pity!).

Rob

thanks for the help, I'll ask them for a cca. I have been getting statements for ages but nothing on them only the outstanding amount. They did stop charging me interest about three months ago when I told them I would stop paying altogether as it was getting ridiculous. I'll read up on the threads to see how I go about getting the info I need. many thanks xxxx

As BankFodder advises, the SAR will mean they have to send you copies of all your statements, but it will cost £10. This will show if you were paying PPI, and whether any reclaimable charges were incurred.

It’s better you try and deal with this through Barclays, as they have a habit of selling off accounts like yours to Cabot.

No, keep paying. You do not deny the debt. If you keep paying – even token payments on such a small debt – then Barclaycard will look like idiots if they try to force the issues.

Depending on the age of the account, and the extent of any PPI and charges, you may be able to reclaim more than they say you owe, so the £10 investment on the SAR is well worth it.

Thanks for that info Donkey, but how come they can get away with asking me (and presumably other unsuspecting peeps) for money, what if I was some poor little old lady that was frightened into paying.... they shouldn't be allowed to get away with that....

p.s. I am a poor little old lady, but I'm not scared :lol: