Cannot get parking permit for long-term hired car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have vehicle on long-term (3 year) hire from my part-time employer. It is used exclusively by myself for personal use. I have no other vehicles.

My Council (Oxfordshire) will not grant me a parking permit, since I am not the registered keeper (the leasing company is), and they only grant permits in these situations if the vehicle is provided by a full-time employer. Of course this is ridiculous! It's my car, for my own exclusive personal use, and it should make no difference at all to them how I come to have it available to me.

So anyway, here is my question: is there any way I can be the registered keeper? I have enquired with the leasing company and they insist they have to be the registered keeper, even though this is different to being the registered owner.

What else can I do?

I`m in Oxford too, you can get a load of free tickets for everyone in your house - these are meant for your visitors. I use those, saves buying a permit at all - saves me £70! Neighbours etc will probably have spares as well if you ask, a lot of people don`t even claim them!

Also, if you are just parking overnight there may be some single yellow line parking nearby, my road has one - free from 6.30 pm to 8.30 am.

Edit : All Oxford residents are entitled to 25 free tickets for 6 months. Then it is 25 for £15. Any resident can get these, they don`t have to be a car owner.

Edited by CHRIS44G

Yeah, but sadly this only gets you 50 per person per year. So between my wife and I we can get 100, which only covers a third of the year! But what a bloody hassle scratching off all those damned passes... I'd much prefer to get a permit and be done with it.

This is a very unfair situation and not uncommon.

I think that this is a complaint which should be dealt with by the Local Authority Ombudsman.