• Tweets

• I'm at work now but promise to look in later. Can you confirm how you paid the first invoice?  It wasn't your fault if the signal was so poor and there was no alternative way to pay.  There must be a chance of reversing the charge with your bank.  There are no guarantees but Kev  https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/09766749/officers  has never had the backbone to do court so far.  Not even in one case,  
    • OK  so you may not have outed yourself if you said "we". No matter either way you paid. Snotty letter I am surprised that they were so quick off the mark threatening Court. They usually take months to go that far. No doubt that as you paid the first one they decided to strike quickly and scare you into paying. Dear Chuckleheads  aka Alliance,  I am replying to your LOCs You may have caught me the first time but that is  the end. What a nasty organisation you are. You do realise that you now have now no reason to continue to pursue me after reading my appeal since you know that my car was not cloned. Any further pursuit will end up with a complaint to the ICO that you are breaching my GDPR.  Please confirm that you have removed my details from your records. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I haven't gone for a snotty letter this time as they know that you paid for your car in another car park. So using a shot across their bows .  If it doesn't deter them and they send in the debt collectors or the Court you will then be able to get more money back from them for  breachi.ng your data protection than they will get should they win in Court-and they have no chance of that as you have paid. So go in with guns blazing and they might see sense.  Although never underestimate how stupid they are. Or greedy.
    • Thank you. Such a good point. They did issue all 3 before I paid though. I only paid one because I didn’t have proof of parking that time, only for two others.    Unfortunately no proof of my appeal as it was just submitted through a form on their website and no copy was sent to me. I only have the reply. I believe I just put something like “we made the honest mistake of using the incorrect parking area on the app” and that’s it. Thanks again for your help. 
    • They are absolute chuckleheads. You paid but because you entered a different car park site also belonging to them they are pursuing you despite them knowing what you had done. It would be very obvious to everyone, including Alliance that your car could not have been in two places at the same time. Thank you for posting the PCN so quickly making it a pity that you appealed since there are so many things wrong with it that you as keeper are not liable to pay the charge. They rarely accept appeals since that would mean they lose money but they have virtually no chance of beating you in Court. Very unlikely that they will take you to Court given the circumstances. Just in case you didn't out yourself as the driver could you please post up your appeal.
    • Jasowter I hope that common sense prevails with Iceland and the whole matter can be successfully ended. I would perhaps not have used a spell checker just to prove the dyslexia 🙂 though it may have made it more difficult to read. I noticed that you haven't uploaded the original PCN .Might not be necessary if the nes from Iceland is good. Otherwise perhaps you could get your son to do it by following the upload instructions so that we can appeal again with the extra ammunition provided by the PCN. Most of them rarely manage to get the wording right which means that you as the keeper are not liable to pay the charge-only the driver is and they do not know the name and address of the driver. So that would put you both in the clear if the PCN is non compliant.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help Notice of Distress (Removal happening today)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4285 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi There All,

Could really do with some help here.

This morning ive had a bailiff arrive at my door demanding a figure of £1740.00

This is for council tax, the problem they sent me a letter which i unfortunately forgot to open which as led to them now issuing a notice of distress and planning to remove good this afternoon.

The main issue is the amount they are demanding is incorrect (not the bailiffs fee's, but what the council are requesting) and there has been an error from the council. Today the council offices are closed and the bailiff has explained they are still coming to remove goods.

Im a single tennant in a property and for some reason the council hasnt applied the 25% discount :(

What can i do here?

Thank in advance

Tom

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi WD,

This is the first time they have entered, they sent a letter to me last week, but i totally forgot to open it! (It was one of those letters that didnt exactly stand out that it was from bailiffs)

The concern i have is with the dispute of how much is actually owed. Im aware im behind on the payments and would be happy to setup a payment arrangement but as explained in my previous email the council have charged me incorrectly. Their offices are closed today so i cant even speak to them about it which is the worst thing about it all.

The bailiff isnt prepared to do anything and there is no way i can come up with that sum of money today.

Regards

Tom

Forgot to mention yes they have listed my goods this morning and said they would return around midday ish

Have they been in your house previously and levied on your goods? if so can you list the goods on which they have levied?

WD

Hi t welcome to CAG.

Unfair as it seems, the council's mistake will not have any bearing on them instructing the bailiffs. It is unfortunately written into the council tax regulations that they can make these errors and still pursue recovery action while these issues are in dispute.

Therefore I suggest the focus should be on keeping the bailiffs out, and possibly highlighting any malpractice of the bailiff as potential ammunition for a formal complaint against the council.

It is important not to allow them into your home. Don't even answer the door to them, or deal with them in any way. You are not legally obliged to.

Others will help further.

EDIT:

I see they already are.

Thank you for all your help.

Ive just spoken to the bailiff on the telephone, and he has postponed it until monday next week. Atleast this gives me a bit of time to find some funds but to also take up the dispute with the council.

He explained to me on the telephone they would still not be able to setup a payment plan at this stage which i feel is quite unfair. Im currently on a debt management plan and i dont know if that will give any bearing on the situation?

I suppose atleast they arent recovering goods today which is a good thing, but im not too sure whatelse i can really do here?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

In the nicest way i was polite and professional with the bailiff and he was the same back to me. He could see my situation that im in but said it was out of his hands.

Even though he has entered my property today, if im correct if he does return he can break entry?

Regards

Tom

Your dispute with the Council can wait until Monday,your biggest problem is dealing with the bailiff. Bailiffs are not interested in the Council overcharging you there only interest is acting on the Liability Order they hold.

IF they do come back later today.(and I doubt they will)....If you own a car with no finance owing I suggest you move it to a street a good 10 mins walk from your house. if they have not been inside your home to levy on goods and if there is nothing outside your home they can levy upon, then simply do not open the door to them, they cannot force entry without a court order despite that they will tell you the LO permits them to do so, they cannot arrest you or put your goldfish into care...best to always remember bailiffs lie. There is no law to say you have to deal with a bailiff or indeed even speak with them.....

WD

Edited by wonkeydonkey

Thank you so much for all your advice here, i really appreciate it! Luckily i dont drive its the other goods in my house im worried about. I work from home unfortunately so most of the goods here are what i use for business

Wonkey I think the bailiffs have already been into this gentlemans home, Tomupton what did they list on the levy please? These bailiffs cannot be trusted to act honestly and have been known to over charge and levy goods that are exempt and or dont cover the amount owed.

p.s. They are charging £292.50 Attendance, and then £65 Levy that does seem extremely high to me? Is that the standard fee's they would charge?

If they have not levied ..and you keep them out... then the fees are 1st visit £24.50 2nd visit £18 total £42.50.hence the reason for my Q's post #2 . ..we need the bigger picture before we can advise you further to keeping them at bay.

Hi there,

They have listed things like my Mountain Bike, LCD TV, DVD Player, AV Amp, and DVD's. Luckily my mountain bike is worth quite a bit of money which should cover most of what is owed.

Wonkey I think the bailiffs have already been into this gentlemans home, Tomupton what did they list on the levy please? These bailiffs cannot be trusted to act honestly and have been known to over charge and levy goods that are exempt and or dont cover the amount owed.

You say that the LO is for £1740. In that case the Bailiff will have to levy £17,000 or more as the price you think you can get for items are not what you will actually get at auction.

If he has not levied for that amount then I would suggest that he is garnering fees for himself and the company he works for

If you owe £1750 they will need to levy upon goods worth approx £17,000 to achieve the debt, their fees, removal fees, storage fees and auction fees.

If we can establish the levy was made purely to garner them extra beer money ( the goods levied upon are of insufficient value to meet the above) then you call that levy into dispute...also not that they will tell you this but...they have to give you time between the levy taking place and any removal of goods to raise the amount owed and that is 5days??

Hi there,

They have listed things like my Mountain Bike, LCD TV, DVD Player, AV Amp, and DVD's. Luckily my mountain bike is worth quite a bit of money which should cover most of what is owed.

I get the impression that you would rather them settle the debt with the levied items???

Something to remember is that auction sale value will typically be around a fifth of the true value. So, for example, if you think all your goods are worth around £2,000, the expected auction sale would be about £400.

Can you list previous bailiff action, for example visits, dates and amounts incurred.

If the bailiff does turn up, take a note of what vehicle he arrives in. It would need to be something really substantial to warrant a cost of £292.50. This cost has to be reasonably incurred according to the Council Tax Regulations.

Thanks again for your advice.

I would say the value of all the items if sold second hand right now would probably come to no more than about £1100 ish max.

From my understanding what WD has just said below, they should give me 5 days from today? or 5 days after the goods have been taken?

If you owe £1750 they will need to levy upon goods worth approx £17,000 to achieve the debt, their fees, removal fees, storage fees and auction fees.

If we can establish the levy was made purely to garner them extra beer money ( the goods levied upon are of insufficient value to meet the above) then you call that levy into dispute...also not that they will tell you this but...they have to give you time between the levy taking place and any removal of goods to raise the amount owed and that is 5days??

Here is my breakdown:

council tax - £1383.23

Levy - £65

Attendance - £292.50

Total: £1740.73

The only other correspondence ive had from them was a hand posted letter which came in the middle of last week. As explained unfortunatley i didnt open it (wish i had now)

All the goods listed have not had any values put next to them

I get the impression that you would rather them settle the debt with the levied items???

Something to remember is that auction sale value will typically be around a fifth of the true value. So, for example, if you think all your goods are worth around £2,000, the expected auction sale would be about £400.

Can you list previous bailiff action, for example visits, dates and amounts incurred.

If the bailiff does turn up, take a note of what vehicle he arrives in. It would need to be something really substantial to warrant a cost of £292.50. This cost has to be reasonably incurred according to the Council Tax Regulations.

Over the weekend do not open the door to them and keep the house in lockdown

Monday

1..contact the Council and raise your dispute to the amount owed

2. get info from the Council to the LO.... see below

3. send the acme bailiff letter.....see below

Once you have all that info come back here and we can tell you the next steps.

Council

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

Bailiff.

To:

Acme Bailiff Co

Bailiff House

Ref: Account No: 123456

Dear Sir

With reference to the above account, Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges.

This includes:

a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.

b - the reason for the fee.

c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.

d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were Certificated at.

e - the date of the Certification.

This is not a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.

I require this information within 14 days.

Yours faithfully

Ripped off customer"

Thank you for your reply.

My plan was to speak to the council on Monday anyway, the bailiff explained that he would be calling me on monday too once he had checked his end.

By me speaking to the council can this prevent the bailiff coming to seize my goods? The bailiffs im dealing with are Chandlers, i dont know if anyone else has had bad experience with them at all?

The letter above that i need to send to the bailiffs, should this be done via email or post? Also what is the purpose for sending this letter? (Sorry im just curious)

Thanks again

Tom

Over the weekend do not open the door to them and keep the house in lockdown

Monday

1..contact the Council and raise your dispute to the amount owed

2. get info from the Council to the LO.... see below

3. send the acme bailiff letter.....see below

Once you have all that info come back here and we can tell you the next steps.

Council

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

Bailiff.

To:

Acme Bailiff Co

Bailiff House

Ref: Account No: 123456

Dear Sir

With reference to the above account, Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges.

This includes:

a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.

b - the reason for the fee.

c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.

d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were Certificated at.

e - the date of the Certification.

This is not a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.

I require this information within 14 days.

Yours faithfully

Ripped off customer"

The break down i put above is how its laid out on the Chandlers document.

The Council Tax and the Levy would come to £1448.23

The levy fee of £65 would suggest that the liability order was for £1,480.

Is that correct?

EDIT:

I see you've posted that already.

What i have picked up on is that when the bailiff paid his visit this morning he was addament that he would be returning this afternoon, but then when i spoke to him on the telephone he said he would double check things and come back to me on monday. Don't know if its just me but that does sound fishy that he changed his mind so soon?

If you raise a formal written complaint with the council on Monday morning they should stop all bailiff action while your complaint is investigated. Take a letter to the council offices first thing monday morning - take another copy and get someone to sign it to say they've recieved it. If there is an email address on the council website for contacting the council tax dept send an email today marked "Urgent- Formal Complaint" then follow it up with handing in the letter to the offices.

Which council is it?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

The break down i put above is how its laid out on the Chandlers document.

The Council Tax and the Levy would come to £1448.23

This is how the levy fee is worked out, on a percentage of the liability order:

First £100 – £24.50

Further £400 – 4% (£16)

Next £1,500 – 2.5%

£65 less £40.50 = £24.50

£980 @ 2.5% = £24.50

£980 + £100 + £400 = £1,480