Mandatory work experience in WRAG?

abc123def
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4289 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just reading another thread and someone said there is now mandatory work experience when you are in the WRAG within ESA, is this correct? Do you HAVE to do this? What if you can't?

I thought the only mandatory part of the WRAG was to attend 5 work focused interviews with an advisor.

Just reading another thread and someone said there is now mandatory work experience when you are in the WRAG within ESA, is this correct? Do you HAVE to do this? What if you can't?

I thought the only mandatory part of the WRAG was to attend 5 work focused interviews with an advisor.

They seem to have expanded on the definition - 'Work Related Activties'.

This now includes having to do voluntary work (one person I know does 40 hours a week!), training, and on the job experience - all much the same as for those that are claiming JSA.

The only thing that they can't make you do is apply for paid employment. Voluntary work is unpaid!

It won't be long before the Work Group of ESA and all JSA claimants will be put together to start actively looking for work and having to 'volunteer' for workfare!!

So the 'voluntary work' is now compulsory?

I think this is totally new. I'm in the support group atm but due an assessment soon. I thought if I get moved to WRAG it wouldn't be the end of the world maybe but there is no way I could do voluntary work atm so would end up losing benefits I guess?

I would really like to find out if this is true as well, I could perhaps manage to attend some interviews or do them over the phone if I were moved from the SG to WRAG but I wouldn't be able to do Work Experiance unless they were able to arrange something I was able to do as an when I was able to preferably from home as I can be taken ill at any time. I can imagine that they will try and force me and others like me into Work Placements and then when we have repeated sickness and absences due to illness we will end up being sanctioned and losing our benefits even though we always made our health problems and the likely outcome of trying to attend work placements clear to them. It just feels like a blatent attempt to strip vulnerable people of their only support.

It won't be long before the Work Group of ESA and all JSA claimants will be put together to start actively looking for work...

At SEETEC (a work activity company) they already do this!

At SEETEC (a work activity company) they already do this!

I really thought in WRAG they couldn't make you do anything but attent the interviews? Surely this is wrong if people are ill, also who will take all these sick people on when there are not even jobs for fit and able people?

This government are just cruel.

I really thought in WRAG they couldn't make you do anything but attent the interviews? Surely this is wrong if people are ill, also who will take all these sick people on when there are not even jobs for fit and able people?

This government are just cruel.

They can't make you do anything more than the interviews (at the moment!), but when you feel you are ready to progress from the interviews to the work programme, you are placed in the same group with the JSA claimants, using the same computers and newspapers for your job searches as the job seekers.

(note - this only goes for the one I've attanded with my ex-husband, can't imagine the practices are much different at any of the others though)

They can't make you do anything more than the interviews (at the moment!), but when you feel you are ready to progress from the interviews to the work programme, you are placed in the same group with the JSA claimants, using the same computers and newspapers for your job searches as the job seekers.

(note - this only goes for the one I've attanded with my ex-husband, can't imagine the practices are much different at any of the others though)

So basically if you feel your not well enough to do this you need to resist being refered to the Work Programme altogether? I thought that it was mandatory anyway after a set period?

So basically if you feel your not well enough to do this you need to resist being refered to the Work Programme altogether? I thought that it was mandatory anyway after a set period?

No, the Work Programme *IS* the interviews. You go once a month to a WP provider (Seetec, A4E etc) to tell them how you're doing. When/if you feel ready, you then have your interview and participate in jobsearching (in the jobsearching group) during your appointment. The WP is mandatory, but you have (currently) zero obligation to actively seek work during your time in the WRAG.

Again, this is based on my experience, within the last 6 months.

Ok so you attend the interview but you can refuse to take part in any aditional groups etc?

I think I need to keep an eye on this and find out how it works in my area as I am in the support group now and being reassesed now and I could perhaps do interviews over the phone with an advisor or could perhap come in to the occasional interview but I don't think I would be able to do anything else for a while yet or not at least until I am on a more effective treatment plan but I need further tests etc. Even at that home based work would probably be best for me as it would allow me to manage my condition but even that is someway off at present.

Thank you for this information!

Ok so you attend the interview but you can refuse to take part in any aditional groups etc?

I think I need to keep an eye on this and find out how it works in my area as I am in the support group now and being reassesed now and I could perhaps do interviews over the phone with an advisor or could perhap come in to the occasional interview but I don't think I would be able to do anything else for a while yet or not at least until I am on a more effective treatment plan but I need further tests etc. Even at that home based work would probably be best for me as it would allow me to manage my condition but even that is someway off at present.

Thank you for this information!

Yes - they can't even make you write a CV. They would LIKE you to, as of course it looks good for their programme/funding, but the only thing you HAVE to do is attend the interviews (mandatory is 6, any more than that and it's voluntary, according to info I've gleaned from this forum) to let them know how you're getting on since the last interview - even if that's just "I've been so ill" etc etc. (the one my ex-husband attended kept asking "how's your job search going" which got my EH so angry as none of the advisors seemed to read his file and note that he's on ESA and NOT job searching)

Best of luck - hopefully you'll be back in the support group :)

(again, the above is MY experience with one WP provider in the last 6 months - I just want to make that clear in case anyone else has had different/better/worse experiences)

Best of luck - hopefully you'll be back in the support group :)

(again, the above is MY experience with one WP provider in the last 6 months - I just want to make that clear in case anyone else has had different/better/worse experiences)

Thanks again, it is just such a worry and not really helpful when trying to get better but I suppose you just have to put up with it!

Best of Luck to you to!

What they dont seem to understand is that these WFI's are not help, they just merely serve as an annoyance to make people be hostile to the DWP.

The issue is the forced work activity, the overly harsh WCA, legislation not been followed, far too frequent reassessments etc.

What he failed to grasp, and consistently fails to grasp is that WRAG does absolutely nothing to further a claimants prospects for employment, unless mandatory work experience counts, there is no training, there are no funds, and there is no future at least as far as the Work Programme is concerned.

These are the posts from the other thread where two posters cited mandatory work on the WRAG, perhaps they can share what they know about this? Is there compulsory work placements on the WRAG?

These are the posts from the other thread where two posters cited mandatory work on the WRAG, perhaps they can share what they know about this? Is there compulsory work placements on the WRAG?

Well I would like to know about this for a fact as there seems to be a lot of various information about which makes it unclear. Perhaps it is just the various WP providers making it seem to people in WRAG that the work placements are mandatory even if they are not in the policy?

This is what the government website says:

Work-Related Activity Group

If you are placed in the Work-Related Activity Group, you will be expected to take part in work-focused interviews with your personal adviser. You will get support to help you prepare for suitable work.

In return, you will receive a work-related activity component in addition to your basic rate.

Customers are not required to attend the Work-Focused Interview (WFI) until it’s been confirmed that they’ve been placed in the Work-Related Activity Group.

Nothing about doing placements but you hear so many conflicting stories.

by work activity I meant the interviews, however this may possibly be in future include other things.

by work activity I meant the interviews, however this may possibly be in future include other things.

oh ok, just osdset then who definitely did mention mandatory work placements, wonder if they can explain that

Well I think that in the interviews there is a fair bit of pressure and coercion into signing up for things and doing things you may not be ready for and as people are really not clear on what is mandatory or not this leads to a lot of confusion and people think they have to do something or end up losing their benefits.

Well I think that in the interviews there is a fair bit of pressure and coercion into signing up for things and doing things you may not be ready for and as people are really not clear on what is mandatory or not this leads to a lot of confusion and people think they have to do something or end up losing their benefits.

In a nutshell you are quite right.

The guy I am talking about was made to believe that if he didn't do something positive about getting back into the work place, his WRAG supplement would be withdrawn putting him back on the assessment rate until such time as he does comply.

They arranged on his behalf to work first of all in a charity shop and told him that he was expected to do a minimum of 16 hours (why 16 hours I have no idea). When that didn't work out (because one of his duties was to carry, empty and sort out bags and boxes of goods for resale - he couldn't carry a 2lb bag of sugar!!).

Then they arranged for him to work at a riding school for the disabled, cleaning out the animals, that lasted all of 2 hours!. Then he was told to report to a 'summer camp' used by disabled families & their children to act as the caretaker and general odd job man. He didn't mind that, although he was tired every day and in a great deal of pain. He was told that he could not keep changing jobs as it would be seen as non - co-operation! So he stuck at that. His hours started at 30 and after a few months it has now gone up to nearly 40 hours a week.

In addition to this he still has to be involved in looking for paid work along with the JSA claimants.

As for his 6 and 6 only interviews that he was supposed to do - he is now coming up to 12 months and has 'interviews' every month - so far 11 in total.

With no one really knowing what they can and can't make them do, they assume that these agents know what they are doing and seem very sure about what they can expect of people.