Estate Agents / Letters / Complaints

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4321 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Just a quick question, I had sent a few letters back and forward to the Estate Agent who was managing a property I was renting.

One of which was a complaint letter, I got a few responses back from them.

For some reason I can no longer find these letters and I requested them from the Estate Agents. I'm not sure but surely they have to keep any sort of correspondance for a certain amount of time?

Anyway, they have said that they won't send me them. This is what they have said:

"No. I may produce the letters at a later date when required."

Surely they can't refuse to give me the letters? Its correspondence between ourselves (Them the estate agent managing the property and us the tennants?) is this allowed? Against the law? etc etc?

If I remember correctly you can do an official SAR subject access request, under the data protection act, I think it costs £10 and they have to send you a copy of everything that they have from you and about you. Sure other people on here will correct me if I am wrong on this.

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

Sounds great :)

Does that include letters that I have sent them and they have sent me? He will probably deny he has anything now however he's technically admitted it by saying what he said.

SAR only applies to data held on subject in either written or elec form. It may not apply to correspondance. It would be unreasonable to expect any business to keep all letters for very long. A polite request for copies of corr is likely to be more useful than SAR. The OP admits receiving/writing said letters. It is his filing system at fault.