Need some advice about coming off ESA

gismo46
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4276 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. To give some brief background, I have been on ESA for coming close to 3 years now with mental health problems. In the past year there had been some improvements, not enough to let me back into work, but enough to take steps. I started volunteering (around 6 weeks ago), only a few hours a week, but its helping.

I had hoped to get to a stage where I could return to university to undertake a professional qualification. Shock horror, I got accepted, the course starts in August. The plan had been to apply, then keep going with the volunteering to build up my confidence and when the time for the course started, I should be in a position where I could cope.

The job centre know of this, however I don't know how to approach the subject of coming off ESA. To clarify, they don't yet know I got accepted as the offer is a conditional, I want to wait till it is unconditional (you can't get in with a conditional). When would be the right time to come off ESA? I don't want to be stuck with nothing from now up till the course starts (still around 3 months away). I'm still doing the volunteering to help prepare myself. It isn't as if my mental health problems are gone, it is just a case of getting them to a managable level, which I am still doing.

Do I wait to near the course start date? That is what I had hoped to do, but am worried that I could get sanctioned. However I am scared to tell them this now incase they try and stop the ESA now. I really don't know how to handle this one.

i really dont see why you have to tell them anything.....i would certainly wait until you have a firm offer, and you can tell them the day before course starts...their should be no reason for any sanction....

surely though mikey..you normally have no access to grants or loans until the day you start college?....the loan may be awarded early but no entitlement to money until you start first day of course///

Fear of getting santioned/accused of fraud. Forgive my paranoia (one of my mental health problems), I just don't trust them. I don't want them saying "when you found out you got in, it was a change to circumstances, SANCTIONED!". The rational part of me is saying leave it, tell them the day before I am due to start. The other part of me is pondering all the ways they could twist this. Was pleased to see you guys saying leave it. Thanks, I think I'll do that, you have eased my mind.

surely though mikey..you normally have no access to grants or loans until the day you start college?....the loan may be awarded early but no entitlement to money until you start first day of course///

You usually get the money from student finance a few days after enrolling.

• 1 month later...

Course start is only 2 weeks away now. Still not sure. The main reason is, it starts on a Monday, so I wouldn't be able to tell the JCP on the start date. Really worried about getting done for fraud. I might not get to tell them for a few days.

you will not be done for fraud, you have no change in your circumstances until you actually start the course, then become eligible for student finance, dont worry....you certainly under no circumstances be charged with fraud.....you would have to have been claiming for months on end whilst attending the course for anything like that to happen, plus then it would probably only be put down as an underpayment...try not to stress....

I would just write now saying "I am writing to inform you that from 28th August 2012* I wish to end my claim for ESA as I will be commencing a full time educational course*" etc. and send it recorded and keep the receipt/acknowledgement of its arrival. If they know in advance they will stop the payments in good time and there won't be an overpayment.

gismo46:

What flavour employment and support allowance you on?

Some contribution based claims aren't affected by student finance.

Eligibility can also be affected by disability living allowance.

There's no change of circs until you've registered at uni.

Student advice/support at unis tend to know more about it than Jobcentreplus.

Best wishes with your course, Margaret.

I am already registered, the uni did the process early so that things would run smoother on the first day. But I don't actually attend for another week (not 2 weeks!!).

What if I phone on Friday to speak to my advisor asking to end my claim on the date when I start?