Abuse of Data Protection Act

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4312 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently moved cities and duly completed and paid for redirection of my mail. I assumed that this would all be straightforward however.... a few days ago I received a catalogue in the mail from a company that I have not used for about 5 years (sent to my previous address). This company did not have my previous address, rather one from 5 years ago. Then today I received a letter offering me about £400 in vouchers to spend in DFS addressed to me at my new address. (I have never had any dealings with DFS) On the bottom of their letter they clearly state that they obtained my information from the Royal Mail Redirections Database.

Now if you look at the RM Redirections forms, Section 8 - "Use of your Data" has 3 opt-out boxes as follows:

1. Royal Mail Group and other selected organisations would like to send you, by post, offers and information concerning products and services relevant to home movers. If you do not wish to receive these, please mark ''X'' in the box

2. I wish also to recieve such communications in email format. (Please mark ''X'' in the box.)

and

3. At no extra cost, we can provide your new contact details (of each type) to organisations that already have your equivalent old contact details so they can update their records. (Such organisations include public bodies.) This may help reduce the risk of ID theft and environmental impact. If you do not want this, please mark ''X'' in the box.

I had an extremely heated conversation with a young woman who seemed unable to grasp the concept that my personal information was just that "Personal" and that they had no right whatsoever to disseminate it to other organisations (apart from those legally entitled to it such as DSS, DVLA, Police).

However after a 20 minute search amongst the thousands of forms that must have come in within the last 6 weeks, she came back to me and claimed that I had not ticked the boxes to opt out and that therefore they were entitled to pass my information on to whomever they wished.

What an interesting concept! Am I to take it that we are no longer protected by the Data Protection Act and that because the Royal Mail is such a large organisation that they are feel exempt from prosecution for abusing their customer's personal information?

Nowhere in the above do they make it plain that their intention is to make your information freely available to every company in the country (and probably worldwide too) for their marketing purposes. This is a totally unscrupulous and abusive use of personal data held by them and supposedly protected under the Data Protection Act.

I have also written to the CEO of DFS, Ian Filby (sent via email) as his is the name under which the letter was sent requesting a copy of the information that they hold on me and immediate removal of my information from their databases. I have also let them know that should I find that they have subsequently passed on my information whether for "Free" or for "Financial Gain" that I will seek damages.

Is there anyone or any organisation that can prevent/act on the little person's behalf to prevent abuse of information such as this?

plugin-SocialRedirection-1.pdf

• 1 month later...

Is there anyone or any organisation that can prevent/act on the little person's behalf to prevent abuse of information such as this?

Interesting article on Telegraph co.uk, 04 Jul 2011 - 16 million pieces of '[problem] mail' sent using company part-owned by Royal Mail.

Royal Mail are doing all sorts of things to bring in more revenue, much of it questionable in terms of ethics and good business practice. I have posted on another couple of threads re missing/ undelivered parcels, which RM auction off and made almost 1 million from this last year - it's more profitable for them not to deliver. It has been well documented that they sell consumer information which has increased their profits from the cost of the information in addition to the actual postage cost.

Nobody seems to have challenged RM practices and it increasingly seems as if they are untouchable and can do exactly as they wish. I suggest that you also go to the bbc Watchdog page and send them an email. (watchdog/gotastory/) - you can either complete the web form or there is a link to send them an email if you want to include attachments) - they have been doing a lot on RM recently and the more complaints they get - the more likely they will get some investigators onto it.

Thanks for your reply. I contacted Watchdog way back in May when this came to light, but nada...

It seems the bigger the company, the more they can get away with (untouchables......) Just like the mobile phone companies who supply your phone number and name to all and sundry under the auspices of "partner companies for marketing purposes"

Thanks for your reply. I contacted Watchdog way back in May when this came to light, but nada...

It seems the bigger the company, the more they can get away with (untouchables......) Just like the mobile phone companies who supply your phone number and name to all and sundry under the auspices of "partner companies for marketing purposes"

I agree, there was a prog on BBC during the week regarding telemarketing. I didn't see it but my Mum did, she said there was no solution and no one is doing anything to stop it, it wasn't worth watching. Telephone & Mail Preference Service have not imposed any fines for companies in breach of the rules. It might be worth another go with Watchdog, if enough of us keep sending complaints about Robbery Mail, their ethics, business practices and customer service and how these complaints are not in line with their 'Corporate Responsibility Report' (as on their web site),Watchdog will investigate. Another one to contact is Daily Mail, they have published many articles in recent years about RM and their practices and will probably be interested in your issue