P60U any advice, have no idea why I have just got this, I'm on ESA income based

cocoriver
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4370 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK, I'm currently awaiting Appeal and getting assessment rate Income related ESA (just confirmed that yesterday with DWP) so today in the post I get a form, P60U, shows a small amount under Benefit for current claim of 501.00, all other boxes are marked 0.00, ie Pay, Taxable, Pay and taxable benefit, tax deducted, etc, all show Zero.

I thought ESA income related was not Taxable, never had one of these before, any ideas ?

Although not taxed it is counted as a taxable benefit for calculations of personal allowances. If you also received earnings during the tax year they would be taken into account along with the ESA to see whether you had paid enough (or too much) tax and whether a refund or bill are due.

I received my P60U today and it is similar to yours in figures though they in no way relate to the amounts I received in ESA (cont.) or the JSA I received the rest of the tax year. I do know that I am owed back the tax I paid on the one week of income that I earned at the start of the tax year as, that income combined with all the benefits I received, has come to less than £4,000 so well within the personal tax allowance.

When I spoke to someone at JSA yesterday about it they said to wait until I received my P60 through and that would tell me whether I would be due a refund or not. I took all my paperwork in when I first signed on last April and so they know I paid tax on that income.

Just looked at the notes on the back of my P60U and it says you must inform them immediately if you think the amount of taxable benefit is wrong (I do, it is about £3,000 out) and that, if not satisfied with the explanation then you have 60 days from the date of the certificate to make an objection - very kind of them to give 60 days seeing as it's take 21 days from the date on the certificate for it to reach me!!! Nice that they take 1/3 of the time allowed to appeal away before you even know it!!

What I'm wondering is whether I will receive another P60U for my JSA benefit? Though that doesn't account for the discrepancy with the figures on the P60U for what I've supposedly received in ESA!!

I'm now confused.com!!

Feebee_71

I think you only get the one P60U, Freebie. I worked for a few weeks and for the rest of the year was either on JSA or a student. The P60U from that year just shows the amount I earned whilst working and the amount from JSA.

I think you only get the one P60U, Freebie. I worked for a few weeks and for the rest of the year was either on JSA or a student. The P60U from that year just shows the amount I earned whilst working and the amount from JSA.

Thanks for that Nystagmite,

The amount they have quoted on the P60U is somewhere around 6 weeks 1 day benefit (but not a round figure) and I've calculated that I've received approximately 49 weeks benefit between ESA and JSA from the end of April 2011. I also had around £600 earnings from April 2011 (couldn't apply for benefits from when I stoped working due to being out of the country so made claim on my return). The code in the PAYE reference box is ESA300 which is why I thought it was to do with just my ESA claim though that would have been around 35 weeks.

As you can see, it doesn't make any sense to me, doesn't take into account anywhere near the amount of benefits received - and the amount on the P60U is around what I was paid net by my previous employer - though why would the BA/DSS (who it says issued the P60U) quote that net income as being the amount of benefit received? I just can't work it out and fear there's going to be a long phone call to them this coming Monday when everyone else will be trying to get their head's around the same thing and I really should be concentrating on a job interview I've got at 9am on Monday!!

Feebee_71

Thanks Flumps,

When I spoke to the tax office earlier in the week about what I have to give them regarding income and potential rebate they said wait until I had received my P60U as it would tell me if there was any entitlement to a tax refund but, as I've said above, there is clearly insufficient information on the P60U for it to be accurate for any of the benefits I've received since last April or the income I earned from my job. Surely, if the documentation that will be relied on is the P60U from the DWP/JCP then they need to put the correct information on it?

I can see this taking time on the phone to both the tax office and the JCP people to get to the bottom of it.

Feebee_71

Sorry but it seems, my question has turned into someone else asking there own question, so I don't have any answers to mine ?????

I have not worked and had no other income, just IB until moving over to ESA, hence asking why did I get a P60U, the situation of Feebee_71 is not relevant to me ????

cocoriver - apologies if my posts have overtaken your question.

If you look at my first post I have told you what I understand to be the answer - ESA is classed as being a taxable benefit so they have to provide you with a P60 in case you are asked to complete a tax return.

Feebee_71

Many thanks for your reply Feebee, sorry it just seemed to read that way, and as you know we ask questions for help and advice when we are worried, I felt my situation was being overlooked.

However thank you for your information, it's been worrying me all weekend, I was not aware ESA Income related was taxable, just contribution ESA.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ntcma...ntc0310020.htm

By 31 May following the end of a tax year an employer must, by law, supply an employee from whom he has deducted tax or National Insurance contribution s with a P60 'End of Year Certificate'. This will either show details of all pay and tax for the year or, in certain circumstances, only the pay and tax for the 5 April employment.

If an employee works for more than one employer, then they should have received a P60 from each employer by 31 May, and they will need to add together the figures from each P60 to arrive at their total taxable pay for the year.

If a claimant is unemployed and claiming Income Support (IS), Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) at 5 April he should receive a P60U showing both taxable benefit and his previous earnings.

Tiger lily, I have already looked on the web site myself before posting on here, but thanks for your input, again I state I have not had any Earnings and my understanding was ESA income related is Not taxable, so I still do not understand why this was sent to me, I have had no taxable benefit or earnings, and when on IB/IS never had a P60U, I'll call and try to find out why it was sent.

many thanks

cocoriver,

Were you able to get through to anyone today to find out about this? I've been out and so not been able to contact anyone about the discrepancies with mine and was wondering how you got on with your query.

Feebee_71

Feebee ,

I got a call back from DWP today, just told it's normal for them to send these out to everyone on benefit, but that was it really, I said I have no taxable income, and never had one before, but she just said, yes that's ok, we send them anyway, either she didn't really know, or that's the case, so I'm just leaving it for now as I'm currently looking into other options for my situation.

Hope yours is sorted out for you, regards to you.

How has this thread gotten this big?

A P60 is a standard document at the end of a tax year from your current employer!

You put it together with all the other tax documents you have to make sure you are paying the rite tax.

ESA/JSA etc although by it self does not attract tax because it is below the personal allowance figure it is still income. This income plus other income may breach the personal tax allowance and thus becomes part of their taxable income.

Thanks for the input speedfreak, it's because in one case the person hadn't received one before and, in the ovidt, the figures given don't reflect anything like the benefit income received!!

For those of us either new to claiming benefits or with unusual figures given on the P60U it's worth asking the questions!!

Feebee_71

Hi cocoriver,

Got it all sorted out today - though it took over an hour on the phone!!!

First call to JSA people who said ESA had issued the P60U so I'd have to ask them what the figures were about and what they related to. Woman kept saying things like "I'm just a JSA advisor and don't know anything about tax matters" she seemed to want me off the phone as she had to keep asking her colleague what things on the computer screen meant!!

Then onto ESA people who were completely different and kept apologising for having to put me on hold while she went off to clarify things for me! Finally she came back that the P60U I was sent was from JSA people and was from when my ESA was stopped until the end of the tax year; they have until May 30th to produce my ESA one and I'm also likely to get one from JSA for the start of my claim back in April last year. She also gave me the figures of how much benefit I received at each point as this might help when I speak to HMRC.

Finally rang HMRC and they took a claim over the phone for overpaid tax. She needed the information from my P60U as that's the only information they'd not had through from the DWP. She used a slightly lower figure than I have because they work in full weeks. I should get a calculation through the post in the next 10 working days and then any refund will be sent to me after that!!

So pleased to have got to the bottom of it but such a shame that it took the ESA people to solve it when the matter was caused by the JSA people!!

Feebee_71