MS ESA and 'Next Step'?

eskimoman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4402 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I was diagnosed in January as having MS (multiple Sclerosis).

This has been confirmed and i am being designated an MS nurse (due to home visit me at the end of the month).

I have been on (and still claiming) ESA for nearly 2 years due to panic attacks and hyper tension/anxiety.

I basically have severe problems with dealing with the outside world. I am at home virtually all the time and only ever go out locally to shop a little or go to my doctors/clinics.

When I was last called in to the Job Centre for the 'How are you doing and how we can help you' meeting, I brought them up to speed on my new situation re the MS and I was told that I need a skills assessment for a venture of theirs called 'Next Step'.

The letter I was sent later headed as follows:-

Dear Mr #######

You have been referred to the following opportunity: NEXT STEP

You Should report to:

Next Step Admin Team

PROSPECTS SERVICES LTD

[local Job Centre Address]

---------------------------------

My problem is this:-

a) I know nothing about this 'Next Step' program of theirs and why they are giving it to people on ESA. Is it mandatory?

b) Psychological aspects aside (and they are real) my ms in itself has caused many random disfunction in my body including involuntary bowel movement and even my entire leg going completely numb also heat spots, muscle spasms and brief pain spikes (brief at the moment that is).

I am just curious as to how this will play out re the job centre. I don't want to put myself in any jeopardy re my claim.

Also I have been waiting well over a year (nearly two) for mental health care team help (Community Recovery Service), this is now coming through and I am due a home visit via these people soon.

In light of my situation I would like to know more of where I stand with the JC regarding this new 'Next Step' plan for ESA people.

Can they enforce such procedures as to put somebody back into the public sector while on ESA onto a program like this when they are not fit psychologically (let alone physically) to do what it seems they require?

Would greatly appreciate any help with this. Thank you.

*as nystagmite answered the dla/Ib question, i've edited that bit out.

Edited by eskimoman

Hello and Welcome, eskimoman.

I've moved this thread to the Benefits forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

And is DLA applied on top of ESA or will I have to claim Incapacity Benefit first?

Incapacity benefit was replaced by ESA in 2008. You can claim DLA whether or not you calim ESA. You just need to prove that as someone with a disability, (your diagnosis is irrelevant) that you have care and /or mobility needs, which have lasted for at least 3 months and will last for at least another 6.

Incapacity benefit was replaced by ESA in 2008. You can claim DLA whether or not you calim ESA. You just need to prove that as someone with a disability, (your diagnosis is irrelevant) that you have care and /or mobility needs, which have lasted for at least 3 months and will last for at least another 6.

Thanks for that info Nystagmite.

Still looking for anybody who has info on the 'Next Step' program for ESA people and whether it is mandatory or not.

Still looking for anybody who has info on the 'Next Step' program for ESA people and whether it is mandatory or not.

Hello there.Please bear with us until someone who knows is able to see your message. Weekends and long weekends are always quieter on the forums and you're asking a question that's pretty specific.My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Prospects Services Ltd - who you refer to in your original post - provide 'Next Step' services on government contract. There's a bit of info here: http://www.prospects.co.uk/AboutUs/tabid/56/Default.aspx.

PSL appears to be a private company with government backing to deliver 'welfare to work' services. I'm not exactly sure what that entails, but an educated guess suggests it involves running classes and training programmes designed to assist benefit claimants back into work.

What it means for you personally - and other ESA claimants - I have no idea (and no idea if it's mandatory).

Prospects Services Ltd - who you refer to in your original post - provide 'Next Step' services on government contract.

What it means for you personally - and other ESA claimants - I have no idea (and no idea if it's mandatory).

Thanks for the link re prospects services.

It seems strange though that they try to get people who are actually sick & claiming ESA back into work before they are ready. The MS aside (which is bad enough!) I am only JUST starting to receive the mental health counseling that I was put forward for over a year and a half ago (via my gp psychologist referring me to CMHT).

The pressure for people like myself who already suffer from anxiety/panic disorder is only worsened by such actions as these.

Edited by eskimoman

Hi eskimo, You should seek welfare rights advice immediately.

MIND helpline will put you in touch with someone locally info below.

You notified the department of a Change of circumstances during a meeting with an advisor, and they should have either suggested you apply for a revision or supersession of the original award of ESA WRAG and consider the Support Group. (This is why you need WR help)

If this isn't possible because (there are many rules and regs depending on your case) the other option is to make a fresh claim.

I would highlight that you already notified the Dept of this Change giving the date and person whom you spoke to. Meanwhile you should be able to defer those work focused interviews with a letter of support from your doctor or Nurse, too sick to attend.

Contact Mind infoline 0300 123 3393

We are able to provide information on a range of topics including types of mental distress, where to get help, drug and alternative treatments and advocacy. We are able to provide details of help and support for people in their own area.

and they should have either suggested you apply for a revision or supersession of the original award of ESA WRAG and consider the Support Group. (This is why you need WR help).

I spoke to the lady at the JC today via phone and she did say the WRAG was mandatory but that due to my circumstances she would send me out an appeal for the Support Group side of things. I will still have to attend the wrag in the meantime.

Your reply has helped me a lot though, thank you! :)

I spoke to the lady at the JC today via phone and she did say the WRAG was mandatory but that due to my circumstances she would send me out an appeal for the Support Group side of things. I will still have to attend the wrag in the meantime.

Your reply has helped me a lot though, thank you! :)[/QUO

You only have 1 month from the original decision letter in which you can appeal or ask for a reconcideration, I think you will have to ask for a Supasession on the grounds your illness has deterioted.

You only have 1 month from the original decision letter in which you can appeal or ask for a reconcideration, I think you will have to ask for a Supasession on the grounds your illness has deterioted.

When you say 'original decision letter' do you mean from the start of a wrag placement?

If this is the case I perhaps have about a week to get that into them.

It's shocking that they don't tell people at the initial stages when they are putting time limits on things like that.

Thanks for the advice re supercession. Does this mean update/amend a claim?

I don't think the ESA people are even aware of my MS yet (though the JC is).

Not really certain of the protocol for something such as this.

Should I phone them (esa) and bring them up to date or let the job centre handle it?

Again, many thanks for all your advices, i'm very glad that this site exists.

Edited by eskimoman