BT Stress... please help!! :(

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4086 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was under the impression that I had cancelled my BT account last November before I moved address. I first cancelled my direct debit and a few days later I had a call from BT asking why did I cancel my dd, I said I wished to close this account as I was moving, the lady said no problems I'll send you your final bill (unfortunately I didnt take her name as back up).

Today I wake to find a new statement from BT via email asking for £176.82 for services etc, as you can imagine I'm pretty annoyed as I thought this account had been closed. I rang customer services and they said the account was never closed in November and that I have to pay the amount stated but they would cancel it now and send my final bill.

As you can imagine I'm rather cross about this, this is one more bill I can do without, I've recently moved address and to be honest money is very tight. The address I lived at where the account was is now under renovation and I'm not sure whether or not my old address will even exist in future... do you think I should just ignore this? (they dont have my new address) Plus I've recently checked my credit report and it says I never even had a credit agreement with BT at my old address which seems strange.

Hope someone can help me with my moan... lifes is stressful enough!

Thank you.

No one has moved into the address since I moved out as the building is being renovated. I guess they are billing me for services (phone/bt vision/broadband) they think I am using... as they are saying I never cancelled my account.

I'm not sure that BT report to credit reference agencies. I've certainly never had a BT account show up on mine, but to be fair I haven't had one with them for several years.

I would suggest that you write a strongly worded letter to their complaints department, outlining when you cancelled even if you can't remember who you spoke to. Make sure that you point out that you cancelled because you were moving home, and that by leaving your line active, the next tenants could have found that they had a line and then abused the privilege by calling Auntie Mabel in Outer Mongolia. If you're lucky, they may write off some or all of the bill as the proverbial "gesture of goodwill". Good luck!

P.S: I know there weren't actually new tenants after you, but that's not the point. :-)

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Great advice Laughinggirl.

Also point out in your letter the fact that you started new accounts for these services with virgin once you had moved.

State the date and time of the call you made to cancel to as near as you can remember.

Thanks guys I'll send them a complaint letter. I wont however mention the part about tenants moving in afterwards and using the services as they would only have to look into the account to see its not been used. I'll report back soon... I imagine this is not the last I've heard of this worry. Thank you once again! :)

To be fair to BT, you're supposed to tell them you're cancelling BEFORE you cancel the Direct Debit. Not cancel it and wait for them to ask you why.

You haven't followed the correct cancellation process and they may try and sting you on that, regardless of what you may have been told on a phone call when someone was asking you why your DD was cancelled.

Just canceling the DD is not good enough such

things should be done in writting all BT would

know is the DD was stopped, can't expect a company

to be mind readers.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

BT don't report on your credit file. I don't think they'll take any legal action to collect this, the worst that will happen is a string of debt collectors giving it loads of huff and puff (but ultimately they're not gonna do anything over this)

You could also email the CEO [email protected] detailing the events and setting out your position firmly but politely.

Keep us informed :)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thanks Locutus, I'll send an email to their CEO tonight. I'm worried that if I just leave this I'll end up with a CCJ at my old address when I've just managed to get 5 years clean on my credit report, do you not think it could end up in court and me getting a CCJ?

I don't think this will get to court. £176 makes it a small claim where they cannot claim a solicitors fees back, so any court action is most likely to scare you into paying or to hope you don't defend. IF (and it's a big if) they did take it to court you have a strong defense, so I'm 100% certain that this will not be seen by a Judge :)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 10 months later...
BT don't report on your credit file. I don't think they'll take any legal action to collect this, the worst that will happen is a string of debt collectors giving it loads of huff and puff (but ultimately they're not gonna do anything over this)

You could also email the CEO [email protected] detailing the events and setting out your position firmly but politely.

Keep us informed :)

Just to let you know that BT have appeared on my credit report this last month, showing that I owed a final bill of £20.31 with a marker saying "query outstanding". I called BT to tell them the £20.31 had been paid and that they should update my (closed) account accordingly. They assured me this had been done and that my account (which I terminated in Dec 12) is now closed. I'd been with them for 12 years and this is the first time i've ever seen them on my report.

BT I think only report when there are unresolved problems and on GAIN.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: