Post 98 UK Student Loan living in the US

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3359 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think this latest company being in the same state as you is just a coincidence. The validation of the debt letter is a phishing trip to see if you bite. Once you reply, they will be on your case, pushing you for as much as you can pay, so you are left with a dime after getting paid.

Thing is my original creditor knows my address, which is where the DCA got it from. So I feel they would be fairly confident they know where I am so not sure why they would need to 'phish' in that sense?

Thing is my original creditor knows my address, which is where the DCA got it from. So I feel they would be fairly confident they know where I am so not sure why they would need to 'phish' in that sense?

By phishing I meant that they were looking for you to contact them, worried that they had your address and that they would come knocking on your door. This has obviously worked.

Up to you want you do next. But once you start paying them, there will be a long road ahead in making payments. Even when you make payments, expect them to hassle you every few months for an increase. They may add on collection fees and any interest that the original loan agreement allows.

Personally, I think I would wait to see how they are going to enforce any repayments. If this includes UK court action and then US court action, it won't be a quick process, if they bother. I have not read of any such action being taken, which is odd given the number of these loans that have been defaulted on, with the debtor living abroad.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi guys, just to clarify something, aren't student loans, kind of, not necessarily repayable. I mean I have taken a student loan and if I don't make more than 20k a year I don't have to a penny and I don't pay the debt in 15 years the whole debt is discarded. Any opinions on that?

For a post 98 student loan (but not the new policy issued by this coalition government) I believe the government have 20 years to collect the debt. Under that loan scheme, I thought you had to repay a percentage on earnings over £15k. But there were various special arrangements, where if you went into certain occupations the debt would be discounted. Someone told me that when they went into teaching that the government would reduce the debt, after a period of so many years as a teacher.

Under the new student loan finance the coalition issued, the legislation allows 30 years for the debt to be collected and you start repayments once you earn £20k. So in 30 years, if you never earned this sum, then yes it would be written off.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

When you don’t have to pay

If you earn less than £15,000 a year you don't have to continue repaying your loan until your income increases (if it's a post 1998 loan) but there are also circumstances when your loan might be written off altogether.

If you die. If you die while you owe money on your student loan it will be written off.

If you are permanently unfit for work. If you receive disability benefits and, because of your disability, are declared permanently unfit for work your loan will be written off.

If you took out your loan on or after 2006. In this case your loan will be written off on the 25th anniversary of the date that you became liable to repay it.

If you took out your loan before 2006. Here your student loan would be written off once you reach the age of 65.

If you took out your loan before 1998. In this case the rules are rather complicated. If you were aged under 40 when you took out your last agreement for a student loan it will be cancelled when you reach 50. If you were aged 40 when your last agreement was made, it’s cancelled when you reach the age of 60 and in any event it will be cancelled after 25 years. Not exactly straightforward.

In Scotland it’s written off 35 years after you were first liable to repay it if you took it out for the first time after August 2007 and at age 65 if you took the student loan out before 1st August 2007.

Also on the pre 1998 Student loan if you have made no payment, deferment or written acknowledgement of the debt it becomes Statute Barred after six years and cannot be enforced.

• 2 years later...
Bumping a very old thread here, but wondering if the OP's situation was resolved? What ended up happening with the US DCA?

Thanks!

It is very unlikely you would gain any response, as a new comment being added does not trigger an email being sent to the OP.

If you click on the triangle in your post or send an email to CAG admin to ask whether they could send the OP an email to the OP, they may do so. It would just ask the OP to update their thread on CAG, if they get a chance.

Bumping a very old thread here, but wondering if the OP's situation was resolved? What ended up happening with the US DCA?

Thanks!

they cant do anything to you.

might be better to start a new thread

of your own.

the op get san email anyway.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...