• Tweets

• "as I have no tools available to merge documents, unless you can suggest any free ones that will perform offline merges without watermarking" (which you don't) ... but ok please upload the documents and we'll go from there
    • Please go back and read my message posted at 10:27 this morning @jk2054. I didn't say that I wasn't going to provide documents, only that I will upload them to an online repo that I am in control of, and that I would share links to these. You shall still be able to read and download them no different from if they were hosted here. And, the issue I have is not so much with hosting, but using an online pdf editor to create a multi-page pdf, again I have discussed this that same message.
    • Thanks ,DX, I'd forgpotton about that letter and can't remember sending a SB letter. I must have left it and they did not chase. Unclebulgia. Yes several periods of no contact. Think its time for the SB letter . 
    • well if your not going to upload documents because you are too scared of your data being stolen and someone rocking up to you we are going to struggle to help you peoples energy data breach has nothing to do with a hosting site...
    • Whilst trying to point score over Biden, Trump can't remember the name of his own doctor. Trump gets name of his doctor wrong as he challenges Biden to cognitive test | Donald Trump | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Gaffe came as 78-year-old Republican presidential candidate sought to bolster his support among Black and Latino voters in Michigan  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Do you have charges going back more than 6 years?

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Nicole

One of the problems with this issue is that the banks have histrocially held lots of data. Their systems are designed specifically for this purpose.

They also use thrid party organisations to holddata for them too.

However, they have recently started to say they dont hold more than six years worth of data.

I wonder how they destroy data older than six years?

I wonder how they store their data less than six years old?

So you have to decide whether to give up and roll over or whether you want to fight them and find out if theyre telling you the truth.

I took the CO-op to court and they found data over nine years old before the claim for non-complaince was closed.

My personal view is that where the CLaimants are told that their data is no being held then the best course of action is to take them to court for non-complaince.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you, Glenn. There's a big thread about Abbey National trying to avoid delivering stuff more than 6 years old (JONESHOUSEHOLD HAVE ID'd IT) and one of their arguments was...it was on microfiche and therefore 'not a structured record'. I believe they had a visit from the Information Commissioner who explained that those are, indeed, structured records.

If an account is still open from pre-6 years ago, the chances of them having destroyed records are, I would venture, nil.

I have a feeling that Natties has answered exactly this point for NatWest but can't remember where.

Westy

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

If you have to take court action to recover more data then you probably need to tell the court dealing with the joint debt that NatWest are not providing information and this is prejudicing your counter claim plus is in contravention of the Data Protection Act. It will make the NatWest solicitors get a bit jumpy (worth it for that alone!) and you might suddenly find they are a lot more helpful. Solicitors can be very agressive when they want to be and will just take the client's word for it. If you show their word is in doubt then they will have to at least respond in an informative way otherwise the judge will be asking them to explain themselves to him/her.

I am not in any way qualified or experienced to be able to help you with any authority but it seems to me that if you can show that NatWest are being obstructive it will help your cause.

I think I remember reading somewhere that you should ask the date specific records were destroyed and what form they were held at the time, what happens to microfiched documents and things like that. Try to pin them down to specific responses because that's the only way you will make someone really check it out.

Nattie who posted on the thread I posted a link to, is or was I believe a member of staff at NatWest, he/she may be able to help with perhaps some more probing questions to ask.

I have just tried searching for posts in the NatWest forum using search terms Data Protection Act - there seems to be quite a few gems in the few I looked at. Mcuth might be of interest and a few others too. Try spending some time reading other peoples threads, they are often useful, usually interesting and without doubt very helpful in making you feel that you are not alone. Get yourself a glass of wine and settle down for a good read - better than the telly and more profitable.

Good luck with this Nicole, you will always have the advantage that for you it is personal but for the other side it's just a job and they often can't be bothered to look properly before they put pen to paper.

Yes, I just sat back and had a think about it. I sent the template letter from the site here, and of course it says in there " Please supply me with a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my banking history with your organisation. Alternatively, a complete set of statements for that period will be acceptable." I did not ask them just for statements, I said these would be acceptable as an alternative but for the entire period. And that is what they didn't do. Never mind the fact what they sent was incomplete as well as a lot seems to have been lost in transit. So if they can't supply statements then anything else in relation should have been sent. So you are correct to suggest to ask them what exactly they have destroyed and when if they can't provide anything and try to hide behind it. (I have also asked for the true signed agreement under the CCA but that hasn't been supplied either as yet)

I have already made these issues my main points in my defence. As NatWest is not disclosing relevant documents and information I cannot really build a defence as I don't know what amounts I am defending or whether NatWest is entitled to pursue me at all - their solicitor's response was that they want me to withdraw my defence as it would not stand in court and make a full admission within two weeks to them and their client will consider any new repayment plan I am coming up with (but this does not belong in this thread).

I am digging around to find ways to build a counterclaim for charges way back to when I started banking with them, that's how I stumbled across this very informative thread and have subscribed straight away.

That's the spirit!

I was always told that the devil is in the detail. Pull apart what they say and they have to start again. I bet they want you to make a full admission because they think they may have trouble proving the debt.

I'm off to see your main thread - can't say that I will be able to help - I walked away from NatWest years ago but I will keep trying to maintain this bulldog spirit!

If they are claiming they have disposed & no longer hold your data write back & ask how, when , & where they disposed of it.

Also remind the solicitors that if the data is held no matter what age, as there is NO limitation, their client is required to supply it

Hi Everyone, I have just posted my first letter to request my charges back for 2000-2001 from alliance and leicester http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester/56153-hi-all.html

Any help would be appreciated, especially about the six yr statute should any problems arise.

Thanks

#

jenny

Just a thought. I have seen this in another thread about the Fraud Act. Post No 1967 is the one you want to look at (and 1971)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/33174-consumer-credit-act-agreements-99.html#post538092

Might be worth a bit of research.

I find that highly interesting, especially in my court case. But as it states this Act only came into effect 15.01. of this year, I made the requests to NatWest before that, so it may not be affected by this law. Of course I am not a lawyer and do not know , but I think only cases that were initiated after the 15.01. will possibly be influenced by this, or what does anybody else think ? Certainly excellent for new cases but maybe not for people with older , already running claims / cases

• 2 weeks later...
I suggest that people get the statements and work it out accrautely. Data Protection Act request if necessary. Also I need to know how much they were charging then because it won't have been at today's levels.

I have business statements from the cooperative bank from 1996 and they charged me £30 for returning an unpaid DD plus £15 fee correspondence, ie the letter they sent to inform me they were returning my DD. Overdraft advice £10, which is my call to them complaining about the charges. In total they charged me £1877 until they closed my account in 2000. This account was the 1st one I had when I started my business, the bank were no help at all to me and never offered me any help in the way of overdraft facility and in the end they wrote to me and told me they were closing my account. I dont know how I never went under. I wrote to them requesting they repay me these charges and sent them copies of all the statements showing the charges, they wrote back saying they would not be repaying me because of the limitation act

Hi

have a read through this new thread - you will find it relates directly to the previous problem the limitation act posed for claims going back more than 6 year. Appears a way around it has been found !

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legalities/65306-forget-32-limitations-act.html#post563678

Hi yes ive printed a copy off, just getting all my information together, then im writing to the bank again requesting repayment, if i get no response again I'l start court action and see how it goes, does anyone know when you have the proof of charges going back 10 years to calculate the interest, is it 8% per annum from the date thay started to charge until the account was closed in 2000 or per annum to date?

I need to clear my head and want some advice regarding the 6 year rule

after reading through this thread.

I am currently at LBA stage with the A+L. Just had a formal reponse saying buzz off). I'llw ait until the 14 days are clear then proceed to action.

Now questions:

1. I got about 6-1/2 years of statements. I've requested further details regarding possible microfiche holdings and will consider a further action under the Data Protection Act. Is this wise or should I just take what i can get?

2. Regarding the six year rule. There have been a number of points raised.

2.1 Fiduciary Duty - Nelson -v- Rye (1995) - Nice one Cyril. Are the banks claiming that they are NOT fiduciaries? It seems plain as a pikestaff to me that they are!. Has this been tested recently?

2.2 Withholding. The fact that the banks will not disclose their actual costs in dealing with these things, means, (to some) that they are withholding (or some other word) -and therefore not time limited. Is this s32? - Has it been tested?

2.3 When does the six years start? The Banks are saying - six years back from now -- but some here are arguing that the six years starts from the date of discovery - which in my case was when the BBC did their programme. There was an assumption in the Nelson -v- Rye (1995) judgement that the six years referred back to the actual incident. Again, what law are we relying upon here.

3. I do have another question regarding Compound Interest and whether in the statement of claim, I can give the judge options ??

Ok - sorry there was a lot there, but I need to get my Initial court documents together. Need the cash. DW (Dear Wife) and LD (lovely daughter) need a holiday this year.

Blessings

-maranatha-

maranatha

check out this post i made earlier and all will be revealed, sorry i probably should have posted it hear to start with, but i forgot this post was still live ;-)

anyway here is the case law to back this up, seems everyone is confused as to whether case law exists or not...well here you go

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/66227-limitation-act-1980-s32.html

• Haha 1

Dont Rush - Take Your Time - Dont always take me seriously

:p

If you feel i have helped you then click

Here, if you feel i have not helped you then click Here, if you want to complain about this go Here, if you would like bank secrets then go Here.

MBNA - Case Charges+PPI+CI+LA+Damages+costs

RBS Credit Card - Case Charges+CI+LA+Costs

Barclays - Case Charges+CI+LA+Damages+costs

Halifax - Case Charges+CI+Damages+costs

Online Finance - Case Charge+CI+Damages+costs

Hi thanks very much, you have given me just the information I was looking for, I wonder, do you know how I should calculate the interest, would it be until the account was closed or to date? any help would be much appreciated.... thanks again groovycaz

The Latent Damages Act, 1986, inserted Sections 14(A) and 14(B) into the Limitations Act, 1980. But, these were overrided by the insertion of Section 32. Basically, if one of 3 situations arise then the period of limitation is suspended INDEFINATELY!!!!!

It's up to the discretion of the court (ultimately) to judge whether each case is proved or not (but with OFT findings changing all the time and banks not wanting to be the first 'Test Case') go for it - what have you got to loose??!!

With Data held by the banks, all of them have a 'weeding' period (the time period after which all info is destroyed). However, they should supply all info as none want the intervention of the Data Commissioner!! So, if you've asked for all info etc, then normally accept what you get back BUT never ask fo r just the last 6 years because this is the normal 'limitation period' - leave it 'open-ended.'

Hope this helps

Hi all,

I have a thread going in the RBS Scottish section for an account which we have only had for just over the five years. But I also have a few closed accounts which I want to pursue as I incurred alot of penalty charges which go right back to my teens, about 20 years, gulp!! However, I live in Scotland and was wondering if any of the issues raised in this thread would apply here? I realise that certain aspects of law differ here but surely there is something that covers the whole of the UK? All but two of the accounts were closed over 5yrs ago. I keep reading about LA sec32 and concealment but i've read on another forum that it's English law. (The same forum advises against mentioning contractual interest or indeed any interest until the court stage, however i've followed some of the advice on this site and claimed for it anyway as it's a substantial amount)

:o :o Hope someone can help me with this as i'm keen to get going with my old accounts! (DPA sent for one of them last week):cool:

Paying interest on a loan caused by penalty charges? Read this!!

Very useful A-Z here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html?highlight=can%27t+find+what+you%27re+looking+for%3F

New strategy for Scots claims here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/scotland/71013-urgent-attention-please-read.html

Scottish procedure:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland/42620-scottish-procedure.html

I am a layperson not a legal expert, my advice is offered without prejudice or liability, it is purely my opinion based on personal experience and should be treated as such. If in any doubt seek the advice of a qualified professional.

The RBS have branches in England and therefore must conform to Scottish and English Laws. The law comes into play where you sue them in a Scottish or an English Court.

Lodge your claim in England, you are dealing with the same organisation, just making your claim at a different Court.

Can anybody suggest a Court? maybe Carlisle or Newcastle?

Hi, thanks for that! I've just rejected the offer of goodwill from RBS. The ones I was wondering about going back further than 5yrs are, among others the Bank of Scotland (now HBOS?). I'm not going to do an English claim as i'd like to keep it local if possible. Travelling to England is not really an option (hubby, 3 kids, 2 dogs etc) and we live near Inverness so it's not just a case of popping over the border! I just wondered if I could cite the LA sec 32 even though I am a Scottish resident going through the Sherriff Court system? I have already sent my DPA letter for HBOS and have numerous others yet to go!

Thanks for help:-)

Paying interest on a loan caused by penalty charges? Read this!!

Very useful A-Z here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html?highlight=can%27t+find+what+you%27re+looking+for%3F

New strategy for Scots claims here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/scotland/71013-urgent-attention-please-read.html

Scottish procedure:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland/42620-scottish-procedure.html

I am a layperson not a legal expert, my advice is offered without prejudice or liability, it is purely my opinion based on personal experience and should be treated as such. If in any doubt seek the advice of a qualified professional.

41 Short title, commencement and extent

(1) This Act may be cited as the Limitation Act 1980.

(2) This Act, except section 35, shall come into force on 1st May 1981.

(3) Section 35 of this Act shall come into force on 1st May 1981 to the extent (if any) that the section substituted for section 28 of the Limitation Act 1939 by section 8 of the Limitation Amendment Act 1980 is in force immediately before that date; but otherwise section 35 shall come into force on such day as the Lord Chancellor may by order made by statutory instrument appoint, and different days may be appointed for different purposes of that section (including its application in relation to different courts or proceedings).

(4) The repeal by this Act of section 14(1) of the Limitation Act 1963 and the corresponding saving in paragraph 2 of Schedule 2 to this Act shall extend to Northern Ireland, but otherwise this Act does

not extend to Scotland or to Northern Ireland.

I haven't got the Limitation Act 14(1).

S.(2). The amendment made by section 14(1) of the Limitation Act 1963 in section 5 of the Limitation (Enemies and War Prisoners) Act 1945 (which provides that section 5 shall have effect as if for the words "in force in Northern Ireland at the date of the passing of this Act" there were substituted the words "for the time being in force in Northern Ireland") shall continue to have effect notwithstanding the repeal by this Act of section 14(1).

Also look at

Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973

Tide

• Haha 2

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks