• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

DLA, 2nd Tribunal and the refusal by DWP to listen

laineynic
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3791 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don´t know if this is of any help to you, and indeed if you are still fighting the DWP. But if you have a spare few hours, read my story of trying to secure DLA. This was even harder for me because if was a NEW claim from SPAIN. But after nearly 5 years of not giving in I beat the DWP in October 2011 and they had to back date my DLA from when I applied in February 2008.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too had a panel member who was really vindictive, patronising and disbelieving in her direction of questions to me. I found it really intimidating and frightening. However the Judge and Doctor were both really nice and my appeal was successful. As the horrid lady was the person with experience of disability it begs the question as to what her experience was. I got the impression from when I walked in the door that she thought I was pulling a fast one. There is no need for panel members to have this kind of attitude and it shouldn't happen imo so I sympathise with you, it's horrid.

Sadly I expect a lot is done on first impressions.

It wouldnt surprise me if early on in an appeal the panel members already make their mind up, and after that its the case of if enough of them decide to back you and then if they do they then fit the appropriate evidence in place to backup their decision. Its probably how the vast majority of legal matters are resolved.

The tribunal I have been to for a failed DLA claim had a doctor, chairperson and someone else who I believed was disabled. The chairperson seemed agressive but at least was asking me questions, the doctor seemed concerned and asked me relevant health questions, the disabled person sat there trying to hold back a grin and didnt say a word.

apparently if one feels they have been treated badly by a panel member they can ask a note of it to be made by the clerk so its on record.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been nearly 2 weeks since my tribunal and I am in limbo. I sent a fresh claim 3 weeks ago. Someone from the DWP disabilities & carers at Blackpool rang me to see how I had got on. He surprised me with his call. I did tell him that the tribunal was appalling and of the questions that were asked. When the statment of reason come through I have to send a copy to him. But I did tell him if the DWP had actually treated me as the expert (as I know my illnesses and how they affect my mobility and the care I need) and not the one liners my GP had wrote then we might not have had to go to a tribunal for the second time. I also told him that the CAB had advised me of how difficult things were being made by the decision makers etc. He obviously didn't like that comment. He said that all cases had been viewed on the DWP guidelines. Yes if you put me in a pigeon hole that I actually fit into. This week has been horrendous for me, I thnik the stress of the last few weeks caught up with me. I have not been able to get out of bed until today. I was physically and mentally drained. I got so stressed on Sunday my husband was on the verge of phoning for an ambulance because I couldn't breathe. Yesterday my upper abdomen filled with fluid and I looked 10 months pregnant. This is because my heart isn't working properly apparently. I started water tablets last night and it seesm to have worked. I don't know what to do now. I complied a letter to a Martin Spencer complaints manager at DWP and am unsure wether I should send it. Today my fight seems to have gone...

Its been nearly 2 weeks since my tribunal and I am in limbo. I sent a fresh claim 3 weeks ago. Someone from the DWP disabilities & carers at Blackpool rang me to see how I had got on. He surprised me with his call. I did tell him that the tribunal was appalling and of the questions that were asked. When the statment of reason come through I have to send a copy to him. But I did tell him if the DWP had actually treated me as the expert (as I know my illnesses and how they affect my mobility and the care I need) and not the one liners my GP had wrote then we might not have had to go to a tribunal for the second time. I also told him that the CAB had advised me of how difficult things were being made by the decision makers etc. He obviously didn't like that comment. He said that all cases had been viewed on the DWP guidelines. Yes if you put me in a pigeon hole that I actually fit into. This week has been horrendous for me, I thnik the stress of the last few weeks caught up with me. I have not been able to get out of bed until today. I was physically and mentally drained. I got so stressed on Sunday my husband was on the verge of phoning for an ambulance because I couldn't breathe. Yesterday my upper abdomen filled with fluid and I looked 10 months pregnant. This is because my heart isn't working properly apparently. I started water tablets last night and it seesm to have worked. I don't know what to do now. I complied a letter to a Martin Spencer complaints manager at DWP and am unsure wether I should send it. Today my fight seems to have gone...

Forgive me if I have read this wrong, but what I understand from this is.

You say you sent a fresh claim 3 weeks ago. I am a bit confused, as it´s been only 2 weeks since your first Tribunal hearing, and I assume that you have not received the outcome as yet, so why start a whole new fresh claim?

First of all you have to remember that when going to tribunal, the DWP should be viewed as the "enemy", it´s you against them, so they should NEVER have contacted you to "ask how it went" that is MOST UNUSUAL. Also you should never tell them any information on how the tribunal went or indeed any information that the CAB have advised you. This is an absolute NO NO.

As for them asking YOU to send them a copy of the Statement of Reasons from the outcome of the (1st) Appeal. This is utter rubbish as both yourself and the DWP will be sent identical documents from the tribunal, and THEY know this. Send them nothing, leave it to the tribunal, they will send a Decision Notice/Statement of Reasons of the tribunals findings to you and the DWP.

Go ahead and send the letter to Martin Spencer, but make sure you keep copies of everything piece of correspondence that you post.

Keep us posted

Good Luck :-)

You say you sent a fresh claim 3 weeks ago. I am a bit confused, as it´s been only 2 weeks since your first Tribunal hearing, and I assume that you have not received the outcome as yet, so why start a whole new fresh claim?

Normally, you do receive the outcome then and there.

Normally, you do receive the outcome then and there.

Ah OK I see, sorry I have never actually personally been to a tribunal, mine have always been via submissions. But as for the DWP ringing and asking "how it went", what a weird thing to do, seriously nothing suprises me anymore when it comes to them.

it was actually the second ribunal that I have been to. My frst one was March 2011 which was for a claim made in April 2010. I lost that tribunal. This tribunal was from a claim I made in April 2011. I has taken almost 12 months for this tribunal o be heard. I found out on the day that I had not been successful again.

The reason the DWP have been in contact is because my MP has taken my case to complaints. The guy who rang was from the complaints department in Blackpool. He was already well informed because of my complaint against them. He already new about the tribunal etc. So I disclosed no more to him than he already knows.

My MP even took my case to the parlimenry ombudsman whilst at this point they can't help but they have given me such alot of advice on what to do next. I just have to wait now to see what the complaints manager says to me.

Both appeals I have attended I didnt get a there and then decision, I had to wait for post. If I have any other appeals related to sickness assessment I am thinking of not attending as I think it looks bad turning up on my own when I am saying I am ill and unable to work and do things for myself.

both times they ruled against me.

the DLA tribunal they even stated their reasoning was that I managed to make it to the hearing.

I made it to the tribunal both times myself and was asked how I got here. I explained that the first time, I got lost. The second time, I stated I had no idea where this place is despite being given direction; so got a taxi there, I then had to ask after the tribunal how I get back into the city centre.

Just because you made it there, doesn't mean you didn't have any problems.

I've had to give up. I do get DLA - but in my opinion, at the wrong rates. I am waiting to see what the psychiatrist and neurologist say (waiting on various diagnoses - I know these are irrelevant; but am hoping they help) before trying again.

Before my tribinal I had a letter from the courst to say that my Doctor had said she had attached a letter in June 2011 formy claim. This letter was from my Cardiothercic Surgeon and was missing. It has taken until now for the surgery to provide e with this letter. The letter is very informative of my condition, My Doctor had put I had Class 1 angina - but the consultant said it was class 111 angina he writes "whilst this lady has moderate aortic stenosis that is more than likely to change in the near future, she is very symtomatic with class 111 anginaand dyspnoea and concomitant right coronary occlusion ................

There are some other things I don't understand and wondered if anyone has any medical knowledge for instance

TLCO 48% is that good or bad?

KCO to 65%

This appranetly shows how my lungs have been damaged by radiation.

I have sent a copy of this letter to the DWP complaints department and just don't understand why they did not ask my dr for a copy in June lastyear.

I made it to the tribunal both times myself and was asked how I got here. I explained that the first time, I got lost. The second time, I stated I had no idea where this place is despite being given direction; so got a taxi there, I then had to ask after the tribunal how I get back into the city centre.

Just because you made it there, doesn't mean you didn't have any problems.

I explained that as well but no account was made of it in the statement of reasons. This is why I think tribunals and the like a decision can be made each way its just a matter of which they choose then they find reasons to backup their decision, they dont need to explain it seems why they ignore evidence.

whats amusing somewhat as well is my ESA tirbunal I had many years back when they gave me all 0s on the scores.

To get 0 on mobility would be to say I have no problems walking at all, which for them to say that ispretty much saying they accusing me of lying. The only IB medical I failed they did at least still give me points for mobility.

I asked for help on this foum to translate the letter from the cardio theracic surgeon into laymans words. Thank you to the people who helped me. It has shocked me what I found out and I believe it would have made a significant difgference to my claim. One member actually told me that my condition was so serious that I should go to my surgery as soon as I could because of ill health.

I have also had the help from a friend of mine who's husband is a paeditrician - it wasn't his field but he has helped me with alot of the things in there and he too told me that my condition is serious.

I have now sent this letter along with yet another complaint to the DWP because why did they not ask my GP where the letter was? why have I had to provide it. I have also sent a copy of the letter from the surgeon and a complaint letter to my MP. He is part of the coalition government and I want him to feel as uncomfortable as possible as to what this government are doing to people like me. This letter could have made a difference to me 12 months ago and I may not have had to face that awful tribunsl. I am even more determinded now

• 3 weeks later...

********Awarded DLA*********** after months of battling I have won DLA - it is to be backdated to June 2011. I am still in the processes of complaining but I am over the moon that I will now get DLA. it is for 12 months after which I have to re-apply but it will mean such a difference to me. Thanks everyone for all you greta advise as always. My final point is don't give up even if it brings you down to tears its worth the fighting. But we shouldn't have to fight so much to get it especially whe you are disabled ot seriously ill like I am...

I totally agree with you, we won our tribunal case for DLA unanamously in December last year and they still have't paid us, all we keep getting is they are looking into thedecission of the judge and my husband is very depressed and has tried to commit suicide twice because of the stress and financial problems this is causing. They just don't care!

• 1 year later...

I am gutted. Despite the intervention from My MP the Ombudsman has ruled in favor of ICE and DWP that they were right to turn down my claim in April 2011. They say that the DWP did nothing wrong by not seeking the missing evidence from my consultant. They say that the decicion maker had relevant information to make a decision and decline my claim. The missing letter contained a full description of my heart problems and how I was struggling with angina at rest and on small movement. Even when we presented a second opinion from a Dr not connected with me. They also do not think waiting for 12 months is not unacceptable. So the DWP win and I miss out on 14 months of benefit. I can't go any further so I don't feel like a winner. But hey I gave it a damn good go :-)