Payments into closed accounts

vegyjones
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6427 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In the Nationwide section, there has been an occurance

whereby a claim has gone the full 28 days with Nationwide

giving a defence!

The defence claimed that they had already paid the full settlement figure!

The claimant is now wondering if the refund went into his account

which has been closed for the last 2 to 3 years!

He has no access to that account any longer!

Should people with closed accounts be getting in touch with the bank

to reinstate their accounts, and is it fair for the banks to refund funds

into previously closed accounts.

This could affect people who have overdrafts that are outstanding,

in that the refund will be used by the bank to pay off the debt from the closed account.

I will be claiming from the Nationwide later this year.

When I closed my account I was £800 overdrawn and repaying it through a debt management plan. Nationwide then offered to accept £400 in full and final settlement which I paid.

If I claim my £200 or so back in charges from them, they couldn't possibly credit the closed account with it, could they?

Think I'll need to specify payment by cheque in my letter somewhere.....

Yorkshire Bank - owe me £1956

Prelim letter sent 17/07/06

"Forget it" letter received 19/07/06

LBA sent 21/07/06

Claim submitted 08/08/06

Defence received Day 28 07/09/06

Allocation questionnaire sent 13/09/06

YB offer £1588 + £120 costs 27/09/06

Rejected! 29/09/06

YB offer £1985 + £220 costs 21/12/06

Accepted! 22/12/06

Awaiting cheque

Barclays Bank - owe me £229

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 13/07/06

£10 cheque returned, duplicate statements coming soon letter rec'd 20/07/06

Statements received on Day 41

Prelim letter sent 8th Jan 07

Nationwide BS - owe me £329

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 13/07/06

Statements received very promptly

Prelim letter sent 8th Jan 07

The defendant cannot make a payment in secret and then enter a defence saying the claim is paid, especially into a closed account. If they are making a full settlement then they should have no problem sending the money to the claimant directly, not withstanding outstanding debts.

No the claimant shouldnt bother to re open or contact a bank where there is a closed account.

When it gets to the settlement stage the claimant should specify how they want the money paid. End of.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

In the Nationwide section, there has been an occurance

whereby a claim has gone the full 28 days with Nationwide

giving a defence!

The defence claimed that they had already paid the full settlement figure!

The claimant is now wondering if the refund went into his account

which has been closed for the last 2 to 3 years!

He has no access to that account any longer!

Should people with closed accounts be getting in touch with the bank

to reinstate their accounts, and is it fair for the banks to refund funds

into previously closed accounts.

This could affect people who have overdrafts that are outstanding,

in that the refund will be used by the bank to pay off the debt from the closed account.

If the account is closed then their defence will fail as he has no right to the money in it so he hasn't in fact been paid at all. In fact, I don't think money can even be paid into an account that has been closed.

P.

Northern Rock; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered. Recieved details of 6 yrs charges on 8th. Wrote back asking whether or not they hold information going back further than that.

MBNA; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06

Barclays; S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request sent 11/8/06 - Del 14/8/06

Diners Club; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06. Recieved form to fill and return with fee on 17/8/06. Sent form back, delivered 4/9/06.

Intelligent Finance; Prelim letter emailed 16/08/06, claiming £318. Email recieved from "Anne-Marie" 17/8/06 saying my email has been passed to Customer Relations dept. Fob-off letter received 23/8/06, letter sent in return same day - Delivered 24/8/6 Recieved letter offer 25% settelement - refused - LBA sent. MCOL on 10th revcieved notification that they intend to defend on 13th. 06/9/2006 WON!!!!!!

I will be claiming from the Nationwide later this year.

When I closed my account I was £800 overdrawn and repaying it through a debt management plan. Nationwide then offered to accept £400 in full and final settlement which I paid.

If I claim my £200 or so back in charges from them, they couldn't possibly credit the closed account with it, could they?

Think I'll need to specify payment by cheque in my letter somewhere.....

I don't think they could anyway because you have a contract with them to pay it off in installments. They can't just change their minds and take whatever they want from you.

P.

Northern Rock; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered. Recieved details of 6 yrs charges on 8th. Wrote back asking whether or not they hold information going back further than that.

MBNA; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06

Barclays; S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request sent 11/8/06 - Del 14/8/06

Diners Club; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06. Recieved form to fill and return with fee on 17/8/06. Sent form back, delivered 4/9/06.

Intelligent Finance; Prelim letter emailed 16/08/06, claiming £318. Email recieved from "Anne-Marie" 17/8/06 saying my email has been passed to Customer Relations dept. Fob-off letter received 23/8/06, letter sent in return same day - Delivered 24/8/6 Recieved letter offer 25% settelement - refused - LBA sent. MCOL on 10th revcieved notification that they intend to defend on 13th. 06/9/2006 WON!!!!!!

What people have to look at is several things. 1, this is your money and when they say they will pay you out make sure you tell them it is on your terms and not theirs how or who the money is paid to. If you have outstanding loans they cannot just offset this against what they owe you as long as the loan is not in default or with a dca as this is YOUR money and not theirs to do with what they like.

If you find this info useful please click on the scales in the bottom left corner of the thread :wink:

Vodafone To Remove Default Notices thread

Paid In Full HSBC Was Claiming £3851.42 But Instead of Paying Me Decided to pay my £4900 Loan OffDG Solictors. Need Help

Concluded Lloyds TSB 27/05/2006 Action Against LloydsTSB

Concluded Lloyds TSB for Girlfriend. 27/05/2006

Paid In Full Capital One £160 Settled

Paid In Full Capital One Sent 15/05/06 for £1372 for Girlfriend

Paid In Full Cetelem £130 Settled

Paid In Full The AA £400 Settled

Paid In Full First National £160 Settled

PDA LloydsTsb Credit Card Hand Delivered 26/04/06 £180

My account with Lloyds was closed with a balance outstanding of £402, when Lloyds settled they paid the £402 into the closed account to settle this fiqure, ( after all it was their money ) then sent me the balance by cheque.