• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

:D Want to get started ASAP :D

ppauls150
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6504 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all.

Please can people give me a step by step on what i do. I have been with the bank for near on 20 years now. I am soo glad i came across this site tonight i can't wait to get started. Main reason being the bank have taken the micky for soo long not just out of me but also my girlfriend and i reckon indivdually it works out for 6 years worth around 2 to 4 grand each. Yes i know people say your fault this and that but yes it is true but still i have always felt these charges just killed us from one month to the next and the only time we ever got out of it was to take a loan out to pay of the charges we were getting every month to stop the rot. I am really am going through this website best i can but i want to start asap on this and want to get that letter sent off, but need to know where to start exactly. Couple of questions also is 1, can i deliver these letter directly to the bank in person and also does it matter if it is my home branch or not? 2, can you claim back for all charges even if it was say a cheque for £100 that got paid and made you go over or is it just the ones less than what the actual charge was i.e £30. P.S can't wait to get started and hopefully get around 3 to 6 grand or maybe more back :D and also start telling everyone about this :D cheers for the advice in advance.

If you find this info useful please click on the scales in the bottom left corner of the thread :wink:

Vodafone To Remove Default Notices thread

Paid In Full HSBC Was Claiming £3851.42 But Instead of Paying Me Decided to pay my £4900 Loan OffDG Solictors. Need Help

Concluded Lloyds TSB 27/05/2006 Action Against LloydsTSB

Concluded Lloyds TSB for Girlfriend. 27/05/2006

Paid In Full Capital One £160 Settled

Paid In Full Capital One Sent 15/05/06 for £1372 for Girlfriend

Paid In Full Cetelem £130 Settled

Paid In Full The AA £400 Settled

Paid In Full First National £160 Settled

PDA LloydsTsb Credit Card Hand Delivered 26/04/06 £180

Hi, and welcome.

I will try and answer your questions.

1st You need to know exactly how much the bank has taken from you over the last 6yrs.This can be done by checking all your bank statements (if you have them) if not you will need to send a DPA request to your bank along with the £10 fee they charge for this.

2nd Once you know exactly how much they owe you you can then send them your first letter (asking for it back.) You then wait 14 days for there reply before sending a 2nd letter LBA wait another 14 days and then file your claim with your county court or on the moneyclaim sight.

You really do need to spend a couple of days reading the facts at the beginning of the forum and also other peoples posts, also all the letter templates you will need are in the library section.

And yes you can take your letters to your branch if you post them it is wiser to send them recorded delivery.

All the best and good luck.

• Haha 1

Is it important to get your contract that you made with the bank? and if so why and how do you get it? As i say mine was around 20years ago that i joined them.

If you find this info useful please click on the scales in the bottom left corner of the thread :wink:

Paid In Full HSBC Was Claiming £3851.42 But Instead of Paying Me Decided to pay my £4900 Loan OffDG Solictors. Need Help

Hi!

The contract is irrelevant. The bank is in breach of several laws if they make punative charges to your account.

Good luck with your quest.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

LOULA

Welcome to the forum. Please read the FAQ and associated documents in the Library. This is important and you need to understand that, if you proceed, there is a chance that you will have to make your argument in front of a district judge in court.

You don't need the original contract from the bank (but you could have fun asking for it as part of a Data Protection Act request!).

Finally it may just be me, but please don't post in red as it's not the easiest colour to read.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok not too happy with whats happening with this claim but hope i got things going today :D almost 2 weeks ago sent letters to the bank recorded delievery and out of 10 letters sent to various companies which 8 of them were received by them the next day the only two that still havent been received are the LloydsTsb ones. Spoke to Royal Mail they said can take up to 3 weeks for them to get em even though the other 8 got them the following day. Ended up printing out the DPA again and physically taking them down to the Branch. Walked into the branch went to the cashier and asked to see someone in Private regarding a Private matter. They asked what it was about i said it is private and dont want to discuss it at the counter. She ended up being a pain if i didnt tell her exactely what it was regarding then she couldnt get the right person out to see us. So told her to anyone in charge will do.

Anyway after a long convo with her she got someone out and we went into the back. He asked us what we wanted with these so told him all about it and his reply basically was the bank has to make a profit and even though yes it is a machine that sends these letters out that they charge you for, it does cost money to pay people to write the programs for these computers and to buy the computers and so forth lol.

He also went on to say that they tell us that they are going to charge us this ammount also so it is not as if they hide the fact lol. Ontop of that aswell he also said we shouldn't listen to everything we see in the newspapers or what we read on the internet Lmao.

Thought aint going to get into a debate with him about it lol. He then also asked me what did the Manual Intervension mean in the letter, so told him the people who actually deal with the letter will know :D and also under the DPA which says you cant be charged more than a tenner for your statements that the bank can actually charge you more cause it is a lot of statements that we need (6 years worth) so told him no but he said yes they can. So said well if thats the case then so be it and if they want to save time dont bother giving us the statements just the charges will do ;) He said it might take a while so told him thats alright you got 40 days so that should give you enough time :D

Last but not least he said they will debit the account for the tenners for the DPA i said thats alright would rather give you the cheques with them just incase they decide when they get the letters to send us letters saying they cant process our claims without the cheques just cause you tell us that it will be debited and would rather not take the chance on that happening to which he gave us the look of :S (dont be so silly) lol so i said you never know ;)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Ok not too happy with whats happening with this claim but hope i got things going today almost 2 weeks ago sent letters to the bank recorded delievery and out of 10 letters sent to various companies which 8 of them were received by them the next day the only two that still havent been received are the LloydsTsb ones.

Post arrives this morning :) both mine and the Girlfriends statements and reports on our account arrive. One Problem is obviously dont know what i am looking at on the reports and the statements they have sent through only go up to 2001 and then the rest are just actual bank charge reports as opposed to statements for the other 4 years but that is not a problem as we can view our statements online for that period anyway and we really don't need statements just the charges. One thing that got me on my statement is that it says 07-oct-04 customer came in concerned we appear to have charged him some £400 over the last 3 months. I have empathised with him and confirmed that we do not wish to levy these level of charges at all :S. We spoke about how to avoid charges controlling acc better etc.... Still not happy that i will not waive any of these. Wanted to close acc but seemed to change mind and left banch PaulR.

What i do need to know now going through the early parts of these statements before the charges went up a few years ago and also can i claim for these kind of charges. CHG O/DRAFT USAGE FEE £40...... CHG O/DRAFT USAGE FEE £15...... CHG O/DRAFT USAGE FEE £10..... CHG O/DRAFT USAGE FEE £5...... Can i claim for these kind of charges or does it have to be over a certain ammount??

Also just some info for people... With the statements that i got back it looks like again a template letter with someones name on it but on both of the letters one for me and one for the girlfriend were exactly the same and by the same person but was not signed by that person. Also when i look at the reference Number at the top of the letter my reference number is 506 and the girlfriends is 507. Wonder if this is the actual ammount of these letters with the statements so this is how many people have asked for them so far?

You can claim for any charges which wer levied in respect of breaches by you of the banking contract, a long as those charges are in excessive of their administrative costs.

basically, include verything which relates to excessOD or bounced cheques etc unless they are regaulr monthly charges for agreed services.

Sounds as if you are doing all the right things.

I would aslo put in an SAR for any charges going back more than 6 years. There are grounds, in y view for claiming beyond 6 years. One user has obtained a default judgment for charges going back about 10 yrs.

However, deal with your 6 year claim first.

Send the prelim letter - 14 days

LBA - 14 days

Then send the Glad Tidiings

• Confused 1

Who and what address do i send my Prelimilary Approach Letter to???? Have had several problems and want to make sure it goes to the right person and address.

Cheers

Address it to the bank manager at your branch, even if that is no longer local to you.

If you do not have the bank managers name, just write to Dear Sir.

LOULA

Can people please read and let me know what they think before i send monday morning.

Mandy Horton

Service Recovery Centre

125 Colmore Row

Birmingham

B3 3SF

4th May 2006

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Madam

Sort Code: xxxxxx

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx

Your Ref: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please read carefully and would like a personal response and not another standard letter.

I would like to kindly thankyou for your response to my previous letter and would also like to say even though you highlighted a few things regarding the charges going on my account, I am frankly shocked that within a day of sending me a letter stating that you will look into my concerns that I raised you send a response which obviously you mustn’t have looked into to be giving me a quick response within 1 day. What even more frustrates me is that this is a serious issue and all you send me are standard letters which every person who has a similar claim going ahead with yourselves, which just goes to show that there are no individual case and everyone is getting treated the same way.

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?

I am unhappy that your decision to print off the standard letters on your system and send the response within 1 day of my concerns raised are not satisfactory enough for me and in your standard letter you mention I could send my complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service regarding these kind of matters but this will not be the case and as I stated in my first letter that if a FULL REFUND is not given for these Unlawful Charges that you have put on my account I will have no alternative but to start legal proceedings for the amount charged over the last 6 years plus court costs plus Interest. so I will not be backing down and if a FULL REFUND is not given from yourselves within 14 days I will have no alternative but to see yourselves in court.

I’m sure you don’t require me to remind you that we both have a duty to attempt to mitigate this matter outside the courtroom in the first instance.

Of course, if you do decide to defend this matter; I will require from you a full comprehensive breakdown and analysis on your justification for such charges. Please understand, it is of no interest to me whether your charges are in line with other lending institutions. I will not entertain this explanation as a justification/defence.

Since a FULL REFUND has not been given I have no further alternative to re-iterate what I said in my previous letter outlining the following.

I now understand that the regimes of ‘fees’ which you have been applying to my account in relation to overdraft and late payments you charge and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I calculate that you have taken £2069 in Unlawful charges.

I require repayment in full of this money. If you do not comply fully within 14 days then I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest plus my costs without further notice.

Furthermore, I shall submit a Consumer Credit Act 1974 complaint to the OFT upon the basis that you have failed to comply with the OFT's direction of 5 April 2006 and are therefore not a 'fit and proper person' to hold a consumer credit license under the 1974 Act. If you do not understand what this means then seek advice from your legal department.

Yours faithfully,

Also the bank keeps stating that when i opened my account i agreed to the charges. I was 11 when i opened up my ac**** which was 18 years ago so shall i ask them also to send me through a copy of the contract that i signed when i opened up my account? would this matter aswell if it went to court?

Might be worth a go ppauls150 - I was a similar age when I opened my account. Now, my memory aint that great, but I could almost swear they used to list the fees as 'penalty charges' - which could get them in to very hot water :D

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Ok after asking them politely to not send us the box standard letter as that is insulting our intelligence ;) they still did it to me and my girlfriend this morning.

sorry your unhappy bla bla bla nothing we can add to our previous letter bla bla bla this is the banks final response bla bla bla and if your dissatisfied go to the FOS. Now can i start court proceedings on these people even though the letter was only sent the 4th May.? I cant believe that only one company out of about 6 has offered me anything. I am sure i am going to end up in court with at least one of these financial institutions. :D

Well File has now been started with Moneyclaim so lets just hope that they pull their fingers out and give me and my girlfriend our money :D If anyone else files a claim then maybe look at using this template as it fits in the box on the moneyclaim website.

The claimant has an account with Defendant over xx years,which is run on their standard terms and conditions.The claimant is claiming £xxxx taken by the defendant in the way of charges for last 6 years.The bank's charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. Further,as a disproportionate penalty they are invalid under the Unfair(Contracts)Terms Act 1977 s.4 and the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.Para.8 and sch.2(1)(e).In the event that the charges are not a penalty then they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15 The bank has been asked to justify their charges but they have declined to do so.The claimant claims interest under s.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from the date of each charge to xxth May 2006 of £xxxx and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier repayment at a daily rate of £x.xx

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well as i thought, the banks acknowledged the claim on MoneyClaim yesterday and reading through this website noticed that they tend to do that then the following day send you the letter offering to settle the claim but also asking for the confidentiality thing. Just goes to show anyone reading this do go ahead with taking them to court, i am not saying they wont actually defend the claim but they never seem to and like this website says you should win as they are in the wrong.

Hope this thread helps people and best of luck. :D

i was reading through the letter that that Lloydstsb solicitors sent me and though i have to keep the letter confidential and not reveal any of the details it got me thinking that they said they have sent the letter without prejudice confidential and privileged and is only between me them and the bank. Now if this is the case can this letter ever ever be shown in court by them if i wish to persue any more charges that get applied to my account in the future?

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/08/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6504 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks