ESA & capital & non dep deductions - help please

Tremor
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4517 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I posted once before with a (kinda) related issue.

I got some solid info/advice then and now Im back to pick brains again.

My main questions are (again) around deprivation of captial/what and when capital is disregarded and also on non dependant deductions

A lengthy post coming so thanks for reading.

So the situation is

My dad passed away last week.

Mum and dad were claiming ESA and getting around £100 p/w

Mum had been denied ESA has tribunal appeal in January

Mum is 53, dad is 57

My mum will receive

Approx £30000 from a deferred pension of my dads

approx £4000 from a different pension fund

approx £2000 from another pension fund my dad had

approx £3000 is due to be paid into their joint account which is a redundancy payment owed to my dad.

(The company paying the redundancy to my dad hasnt worked for for approx 3 years so hasnt been paid by them – mentioned only to clarify no fraudulent ESA claim – )

how will these payments effect her ESA claim ?

I understand some types of payments can be ignored for ESA – am I wrong?

What is a bereavement allowance? How long is this paid for?

If she claimed this instead/aswell what effect does the above capital have?

Currently mum is on her own me and my partner are likely to move in with her, partly for company but also to help out, really she is frail and has poor health.

If we move in how will this effect her ESA claim ?

Me and partner earn approx £26000 and £ £15000 annually

I believe that if she gets DLA following the appeal that this isnt effected by non dependants, is this right?

If she was claiming bereavement allowance how would mine and partners income affect this?

I feel I should clarify I have no problem supporting my mum financially but she would probably feel better If she still had a source of income that was me.

Thanks for all your help

v

Currently mum is on her own me and my partner are likely to move in with her, partly for company but also to help out, really she is frail and has poor health.

If we move in how will this effect her ESA claim ?

ESA would only be affected if your mum also receives DLA at the mid or high rate. The non-dependant deductions apply to housing benefit (possibly support for mortgage interest) and council tax benefit.

Bereavement Allowance

ESA would only be affected if your mum also receives DLA at the mid or high rate. The non-dependant deductions apply to housing benefit (possibly support for mortgage interest) and council tax benefit.

Thanks for the bereavement link I will have a read through that.

So living on her own my mum gets £100 p/w ESA, if me and g/f move in (with a joint income of approx 40,000) our income is ignored for ESA so she will still get the £100 p/w?

Sorry to rephrase it in such a way, Im just surprised , presumed there'd be a non dep deduct. I was way off thought all means tested had non dep deductions.

Edited by Tremor
to attempt to fix quote

There are no non-dep deductions for ESA. As Nystagmite mentions, her payments may be reduced if she receives the Severe Disability Premium - if she's on Higher or Middle rate care on DLA and lives alone, she could possibly receive this. She won't be entitled to that if you move in.

However, the capital you mention complicates things. The lump sums from pensions may have an effect, and that effect could be to disqualify her from means-tested ESA. I'll look into that ASAP.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

There are no non-dep deductions for ESA. As Nystagmite mentions, her payments may be reduced if she receives the Severe Disability Premium - if she's on Higher or Middle rate care on DLA and lives alone, she could possibly receive this. She won't be entitled to that if you move in.

However, the capital you mention complicates things. The lump sums from pensions may have an effect, and that effect could be to disqualify her from means-tested ESA. I'll look into that ASAP.

Thats great, thanks for the info its good to have an idea now of how her finances may be if/when we move in

thanks you