Cap1 & CCA return

tamadus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK Let's step this ORIGINAL v TRUE COPY up a gear

I've just had another thought ................ (I know ... I know LOL)

Question ............ is an ORIGINAL MANDATORY to enforce the agreement?

Debate ... Some say it is, others say a true certified copy is OK (but what constitutes a 'certified' copy ... MY understanding is that for it to be 'certified' as a true copy, then the ORIGINAL must be available for comparison and most official documents that have to be certified must be done so by an 'official' person, eg solicitor, doctor, police, etc) ... but I could be wrong. We also come back to what the DJ decides on the day and what he's happy with and that's where we seem to be batting on a sticky wicket.

So ... This has just occurred to me and do please correct me if I'm wrong, but would welcome your thoughts .............. (I believe the following 2 points are correct and am basing my thoughts that they are) ............

* The agreement must be signed by BOTH parties. If one is missing then one of the prescribed terms is missing and therefore agreement is not properly executed and therefore unenforceable ....... however

* This can be put right at a court hearing when the creditor can make amends and sign it making it now enforceable

I have 2 schools of thought here .........

1. Surely they can't sign a copy (true, certified or otherwise) and enforce the agreement ... I really would have thought BOTH signatures would HAVE to be on the ORIGINAL document otherwise the document that is original would no longer be the same as the copy which has just been signed by the creditor. You could then argue that the 'copy' is no longer a 'true' copy of the original.

2. If the (unsigned) original is available and brought to court, when the creditor signs it, surely it only becomes valid/executed from the date of creditor's signature thereby making any debt prior to that date unenforceable. Or in this case can it be retrospective??

Any thoughts on this guys?

I raise these points as I do have a few 'agreements' where the creditor signature box is blank.

jax

:cool:

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest dvdriley

following your thread with great interest. Can I just ask you to clarify one point. Does an agreement have to be signed by both parties. My credit card agreement from 2003 is not signed by the bank

HI

JUst to hopefully rectify some points

The signatures on an agreement are not a prescribed term.

The absense of the creditors signature does not breach section 127 so can not be used to render the agreement automatically unenforceable.

Many people have tried to question the proper execution of the agrement under section 65 and 60 when there is no creditors signature,without success. It is unfortunately upto the court to decide in these cases.

If the creditor presents a signed (by the lender) document to the court,whether it be a copy or an orriginal you still have the right to challenge its validity. The question is would the judge on waying the ballance of probabilities believe you.

Civil procedure rules are not laws the are guidlines to behaviour in civil cases.

The only action the court may consider if a breach of these is made would be of contempt of court. In practice if documentation is not produced on the date of the hearing the judge usuall allows further time for it to be presented.This is where the creditor usually throws the towel in if he doesn't have one.

Regards

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

thank you peter that's very helpful

Just to clear up your last paragraph

Civil procedure rules are not laws the are guidlines to behaviour in civil cases.

The only action the court may consider if a breach of these is made would be of contempt of court. In practice if documentation is not produced on the date of the hearing the judge usuall allows further time for it to be presented.This is where the creditor usually throws the towel in if he doesn't have one.

Are you saying here that it would have to be ORIGINAL documentation that would need to be presented?

If so, isn't this where un1boy lost his case as the DJ didn't consider the original to be necessary.

jax

thank you peter that's very helpful

Just to clear up your last paragraph

Are you saying here that it would have to be ORIGINAL documentation that would need to be presented?

If so, isn't this where un1boy lost his case as the DJ didn't consider the original to be necessary.

jax

In Un1boy's case the 'copy' was also just an application form, without any of the prescribed terms, and the claimant was unable to provided the relevant t&c's, so that is a bit different. If they provided a document that did have the prescribed terms or refered to the t&c's overleaf for example (and they could provide those t&c's) then that would be a different case, as the agreement would be enforceable. It would, it seems, then be up to the judge whether he agreed that it was necessary to provide the original or not. Like all of you, I think the original should be required, but it seems that may not be the case, Magda

I think most 'agreements' do double up as 'application' forms anyway Magda.

But I see what you are saying, that Uni's didn't have the T&Cs anyway and that the judge didn't feel it necessary to provide them (??) even though the application form/agreement did not have any of the prescribed terms. In fact, thinking about it, most agreement/application forms don't have any prescribed terms in them (the ones that matter anyway, ie pre May 2005)

jax

Having said that, if the claimant does have what appears to be an enforceable agreement, and they are taking you to court anyway, then you have nothing to lose by asking to see the original, as you never know, the judge may actually agree. I wouldn't rely on it though if they have sent what appears to be an enforceable agreement, you are probably better off coming to some kind of arrangement, before court action is started. In my case, when they took me to court, they hadn't provided any agreement and were in default of my request (by 9 months), so it was a bit different, because as far as I was concerned they didn't have one.

I think most 'agreements' do double up as 'application' forms anyway Magda.

But I see what you are saying, that Uni's didn't have the T&Cs anyway and that the judge didn't feel it necessary to provide them (??) even though the application form/agreement did not have any of the prescribed terms. In fact, thinking about it, most agreement/application forms don't have any prescribed terms in them (the ones that matter anyway, ie pre May 2005)

jax

Hi Jax, yes, agreements and applications can be the same thing, but some of them have the prescribed terms or mention them (overleaf for example) and they are therefore enforceable. Uni's application didn't have any prescribed terms at all, which is why he can appeal. You do get some applications (unfortunately) that do have the prescribed terms - i've had a few, but as you say, a lot of them don't.

need to be quick though as its only got 4 hours left and its only £1.07 at the mo

For some strange reason, I dont appear to be able to place a bid. I have emailed ebay to see what the problem is ?.

At the moment though it looks as though who ever buys it is going to get a bargain.

Hah.. it has ended, I wonder how much it went for ?

Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Did you actually get to court? If so what was the outcome?

jax

Not yet, only one of the four claims seems to be moving at the moment, as it's the only one they've responded to and i've just submitted my amended defence. I have asked the court to strike the other three claims out and waiting to hear their decision as apparently the requests have gone before the judge. So I will be going to court for at least one of them it seems, but probably not for another month or so yet. Then I will find out the reality of the original agreement argumenticon7.gif

Magda

After the repeal of section 127 (3)-(5) - Would a creditor still have to provide a signed agreement in court (if challenged) or would it suffice to show proof that the borrower had recieved the funds?

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

Thanks uni

What I am thinking is to find out whether or not they have the original agreement. If they do, then I won't pursue it on the basis that the copy I have received is a scanned one.

If they ADMIT to NOT having the ORIGINAL, I will take a view when the time comes.

Thanks for your advice. It gives you food for thought.

jax

Sounds like a plan!! :)

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

I'm sorry to interrupt but could people please have a look at Manc's thread and share their opinion on the docs he has posted up, please?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/141116-mbna-link-financial.html#post1690199

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

Not yet, only one of the four claims seems to be moving at the moment, as it's the only one they've responded to and i've just submitted my amended defence. I have asked the court to strike the other three claims out and waiting to hear their decision as apparently the requests have gone before the judge. So I will be going to court for at least one of them it seems, but probably not for another month or so yet. Then I will find out the reality of the original agreement argumenticon7.gif

Magda

What's the basis of your claims then Magda? Do you have suspect CCAs or unenforceable ones? Have I asked this before?:confused:

Yes, they would still need to provide it if challenged

But isn't this the debate we've been having over the last zillion posts :confused:

Isn't it down to the discretion of the DJ and his interpretation or decision to enforce the CPR 16.7.3?

jax

But isn't this the debate we've been having over the last zillion posts :confused:

Isn't it down to the discretion of the DJ and his interpretation or decision to enforce the CPR 16.7.3?

jax

Erm, okay, that was a direct reply to Paul's post regarding the repeal of S127(3-5) and nowt to do with the CPR 16??????? :confused::confused:

Aw Gawd ... I'm completely confused now :confused::confused::confused:

CPR 16.7.3 says in a nutshell that an original agreement should be taken to a court hearing but people have lost their case on this point because DJ either ignored it or said he accepted copy (I think)

Just realized S127(3-5) is the Consumer Credit Act ... what does this say now then?

jax

Aw Gawd ... I'm completely confused now :confused::confused::confused:

CPR 16.7.3 says in a nutshell that an original agreement should be taken to a court hearing but people have lost their case on this point because DJ either ignored it or said he accepted copy (I think)

Just realized S127(3-5) is the Consumer Credit Act ... what does this say now then?

jax

yes but CPR 16 PD 7.3 does not apply to all cases, a claim launched in the CCBC does not need the contract to be attached

plus the CPR are not cast in stone per se, the judge has discretion in applying them

i think the best angle to look at, is what legislation requires the original documents for a company to be retained? work from there and you will find the answers

yes but CPR 16 PD 7.3 does not apply to all cases, a claim launched in the CCBC does not need the contract to be attached

plus the CPR are not cast in stone per se, the judge has discretion in applying them

i think the best angle to look at, is what legislation requires the original documents for a company to be retained? work from there and you will find the answers

Sorry pt but what's CCBC? And where do I find the legislation you mention?

jax

CCBC County Court Bulk Centre, if you go to this link

PRACTICE DIRECTION – PRODUCTION CENTRE - This Practice Direction supplements CPR Rule type="start" timestamp="1039695080626" 7.10type="end" timestamp="1039695080626"

goto Para 1.4(4) and that will show you that PD 16, 7.3 does not apply for starters

with regards to the legislation, i think there is something in the Companies Act, Money Laundering Regs etc but i cant be sure and would need to look at Halsburys Laws and Lexisnexis,Lawtel and Westlaw to properly research this

(4)Paragraph 7.3 of the practice direction supplementing CPR Part 16 (statements of case), which requires documentation to be attached to the particulars of contract claims, does not apply to claims to be issued by the Centre.

I guess this is what you are referring to. But does it not mean that the documentation does not have to be attached to the particulars of claim? I don't see where it says the original doesn't have to be available for the hearing. Or am I reading this wrong?

And what does it mean by claims issued by the Centre??

jax

(4)Paragraph 7.3 of the practice direction supplementing CPR Part 16 (statements of case), which requires documentation to be attached to the particulars of contract claims, does not apply to claims to be issued by the Centre.

I guess this is what you are referring to. But does it not mean that the documentation does not have to be attached to the particulars of claim? I don't see where it says the original doesn't have to be available for the hearing. Or am I reading this wrong?

And what does it mean by claims issued by the Centre??

jax

Yes? you are correct, i outlined exactly what i was referring to, in reply to your comment relating to CPR 16 and PD 16 (7.3) which relates directly to statements of case and service of documents with the statement of case

if you are referring to bringing the original to court then your off the mark on the CPR 16

you would need to look at common law rules of evidence and also the Civil Evidence Act 1995

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks