style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4552 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am looking for all the advice I can get! I have got myself into arrears with my Council Tax over the last 5 years as such I now approx £1000 in unpaid Council Tax. I have been unable to set an arrangement with the Council as I have had many arrangements in the past and broke them all. So since about Feb I have made a payment of at least £10 per week every week without fail I am also up to date with this years council tax so after paying £130 a month for this years I cannot pay more than £10 a week. A liability order was issued in May 2010.

Last Thursday I came home and had received a hand delivered letter from Newlyn Bailiffs saying they had levied on a car which isn't even mine and saying I have 5 days to pay. They have added on £216.50 in charges as well.

So I have written 2 letters one to newlyn saying I am making my payments to the council, their charges are illegal and the car isnt mine and the other 1 to the council asking them to take back the debt (which i doubt they will), telling them i am going to make payments direct to the council and informing them of newlyns conduct.

have i done the right thing? does the fact that they have levied on a car even if it isnt mine mean they can now come into my home and use force? I know bailiffs can only charge for 2 visits but can they come to your home more than that and just not charge?

Thanks

You need to find out exactly where you are especially if you think you owe differing amounts over a period of time. In theory therefore the Council should have a Liability Order for each year. You should ring the Council and ask them:

1 - how many LO's they have

2 - how much each one is for

3 - when each one was obtained

4 - the period each one covers

5 - how much is still outstanding on each one

6 - when they were passed on for enforcement

Whatever you do don't rely on the figures the Bailiff gives you - he failed Maths

Still carry on as you are with payments. There is no law that says you have to speak to or deal with a Bailiff. Even if it were your own car he levied on does not give any right to come into your home, unless he gains peaceful entry. If he does call you are better off speaking through the letterbox or from an upstairs window. You are right in thinking he can only charge for 2 visits but how many times he does come is up to him - if he isn't getting paid he may decide to go elsewhere but this will not happen overnight.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, A few weeks ago I had a letter from Newlyn bailiffs for outstanding council tax from a liability order from may 2010,

i had been making payments to the council but it wasnt enough and they refused to set an arrangement so i had just been paying anyway.

newlyn sent me a letter levying a charge on a car which isnt mine (i dont even drive)

i wrote to them by recorded delivery to say the £216 charges were unlawful,

that they had levied a charge on a car which is nothing to do with me

and that i would be continuing to make payments to the council.

this was just over 2 weeks ago and i have had no acknowledgement of my letter

today i had 2 phone calls from them and a voicemail stating that they were coming to remove my goods and to avoid this i needed to call them, - i didnt.

my question is how long do i need to give them to respond to my letter and who do i complain further to if they dont respond.

i also copied in the council and they havent responded either.

You send a formal complaint to the CEO, your councillor the council leader and MP, if after you notify the council that the bailiffs have made an unlawful levy on a third party car and ask them to remove the fee, they refuse, you should also keep the bailiff out and you don't legally have to deal with the bailiff.

others will be along soon to help further I'm sure

in the meantime check out this sticky from tomtubby regarding levys on third party motors.

Pay particular attention to this paragraph from the sticky

"The final paragraph is very important and I would suggest that when writing a letter of complaint that a copy of this article is provided to them as well. You should also copy your letter to the local authority and ensure that it is marked as a FORMAL COMPLAINT and addressed to the CHIEF EXECUTIVE. "

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?262730-Has-a-bailiff-quot-levied-quot-upon-a-car-that-is-NOT-owned-by-you-...-LOCAL-GOVERNMENT-OMBUDSMAN-S-Report-!!!!

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Have you read http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?262730-Has-a-bailiff-quot-levied-quot-upon-a-car-that-is-NOT-owned-by-you-...-LOCAL-GOVERNMENT-OMBUDSMAN-S-Report-!!!!

The chances are they will tell you you have to prove the vehicle isn't yours. If so that is a load of bull. The Council are liable for the actions of their contractor and it is them you turn to to sort it out. If the Council are deciding to ignore you and wait for a response from the Bailiffs then they are just making a rod for their own back - it will then prove they know nothing of the rules & procedures the Bailiff should have followed and can leave themselves open to further action.

At the time you wrote to the Bailiffs did you also ask for a breakdown of their fees. You say you wrote by RD did you check the RM Track & Trace to make sure it was delivered - it will pay you to send them a reminder by email. Their threats to come and remove goods will be just that - a threat - if they make good their promise they will leave themselves wide open to action by the vehicle owner. I assume they have not been in your home? You appear to be doing fine so far but may have to remember to budget for some Fees which may be due, providing no other goods have been seized this should be a maximum of £42-50 only.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

yes

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

i have merged you various threads on this Ctax debt

as they are all about the same ctax debt

so people can see the history

i'd advise you to stick to this thread for all related CTax/newy issues.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

post 10 sri

i think so any way.

dx

and they