• Tweets

• Hopefully I’m able to help someone else out with a future post however this particular subject I’m completely at a loss and ever so anxious regarding! I’ll get the letter out when my police officer husband is asleep to see what the company is whom will be writing to me. I know parking companies now seek compensation so I’m expecting these too as they have advised. 
    • You're welcome. Lots of people aren't sure where to post when they arrive but you'll get used to the forum. HB
    • I’m so sorry for posting in the wrong place and I am so thankful you have replied to me thank you.
    • Hello, welcome to CAG. I've moved your thread to our Retail Loss Prevention subforum for further advice. It sounds as if you may get letters from people like DWF solicitors or a company called Retail Loss Prevention but we always recommend to ignore them. If the police weren't called on the day you aren't going to hear from them. Ask us any questions you want to and keep in touch but I don't think this will go anywhere. Best, HB
    • Hello, firstly thank you for reading this. I know no one wants a long winded back story. So I’ll be breif. I entered a local store to buy some paint (which I did pay for) I am honestly not a bad person or a theif.   Didn’t have a basket or trolly as was on my lunch break. Whilst picking up the three tubs of paint placed some masking tape in my pocket (it was hanging out of so I had every intention to pay) just didn’t have a hand free. Paid for my goods (forgot about the £4.39 masking tape) I’ve got so much going on and im not well at all (like I say no one cares I get that) also have autism so wasn’t thinking particularly like others do maybe (who knows my minds going around and around) I left the store after paying, was pulled back in by security. Asked for the tape which I gave immediately  shook up. Gave them my ID and details. I was given some paper and told to expect a large fine in the post for their time and the tape and sent on my way. my questions are: I hardly ever go out without support so the ban I guess I can’t go there now for anything (their loss) - ok but is my photo going to be all over with my name? how much am I expecting in the post as a fine? I have sent them cash in the post recorded signed for delivery to arrive tomorrow (incident happened today) for my error. Their Address was on the bit of paper. i have read two posts on this page but they were from many many years ago so I hoped for updated advise please? 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Atos They are unbelievable

coledog
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4455 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Nursing and Midwifery Council, Nystagmite.

Sadly, I'm not in the least bit surprised about this, the ESA system has been the source of stress to claimants since and a waste of public funds since it began. There have been many campaigns and reviews which resulted in it being famously declared 'unfit for purpose', but to date it is still on the go and IB migrations have commenced. One of its main designs was to weed out those who abused its predecessor IB, but like many reforms designed to do this, it has resulted in far too many genuine claimants being put through the wringer. It's a ridiculous system and frankly I wish it had never started. I've never claimed ESA but have supported many people through the process and if I am sick of it, goodness only knows how those claimants who are at the centre of it feel.

Read everything that you can lay your hands on, fill your submission with as much supporting evidence as you can and go sort 'em out! We're all here with you - any questions fire on, there are plenty members here who can answer.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again everyone for your support, we went to see the GP tonight and have support from him. Mr Dog also sees 4 Consultants, all of whom, I am sure will be glad to have a pop at this system. In fact he was told by the Jobcentre at the beginning of this year to claim ESA and his benefit is contribution based so IMO he is entitled to it, not that anyone else in need is not

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

I have gone through the descriptors and he should have 30 to 40 points, not even getting top whack on some, this was on the original form. She did not carry out any tests or properly take into account anything she was told or saw

donate

Coledog..my heart goes out to you and your husband. You must absolutely appeal this awful decision. You ARE allowed to ask the DWP office for a copy of the ATOS report. I was bale to get mine in just two days and even though I was placed into the Support Group for ESA, I was still amazed by what had been written, what was left ouit AND certain assumptions that had been made.

Do also try to contact your own local DIAL networl...this is the Disability Alliance group. I was able to talk to a very helpful chap in my area office and he offered to attend my ATOS appointment with me. Just him being there made such a difference to me and that was noted on my ATOS report.

The very best of wishes with your appeal. Do let us all know how you get on. (I have had to submit my ATOS questionairre again and it went in at the beginning of September. Tomorrow is October 1st and as yet I have heard nothing. I hope the medical evidence that i sent plus my submissions to the questions have meant I do not have to attend an ATOS appointment again this time. I could well do without it).

I have gone through the descriptors and he should have 30 to 40 points, not even getting top whack on some, this was on the original form. She did not carry out any tests or properly take into account anything she was told or saw

As another poster said, also make putting in a proper official complaint about the nurse to the Nursing Register, and follow it up.

I know a couple of nurses with agencies, and they have turned down ATOS work, and know that many are quitting ATOS, or turning down job offers too, because ATOS's way of working leaves them in major risk of being disbarred, and thus being unable to ever work as a nurse again.

So complaining when it is a Nurse or registered Doctor helps put even more pressure on them to leave or not start in the first place. And the nurse from your husband's assessment is quite clearly not fit to practice, and other patients need protecting from her.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry to hear about this coledog, If it helps i told atos how mny points they will be giving me and this is how,

I wrote to my doctor and told him that had to have a atos medical i then listed the descriptors that affected me like this,

1 Cannot get to any specified place with which the claimant is, or would be, familiar

Score 15 points

2 Normal activities, for example, visiting new places or engaging in social contact, are precluded because of overwhelming fear or anxiety

Score 15 points

added a few more and asked atos for a fax number doctor agreed with the above and wrote a letter to say so and faxed my letter and his to atos and cc'd it all to me,

I needed a home visit and when atos doctor arrived i had the letter the doctor wrote as well as the one i wrote on the table atos doctor saw letter and said don't worry i have seen it and i am just here to fill a few things in asked me a couple of questions as good as said i've passed and left,

I called the DWP today to see how things are going to be told i've passed the medical but was unable to tell me yet what group i was in but hinted it was the support group,

I think what helps was that atos would look a bit stupid by not agreeing and me going to appeal and then showing my letter my doctors letter who knows me better than atos,

To be honest the atos doctor hinted that they were only here because i asked for a home visit and the letter from me and my doctor was more than enough,

Wishing coledog and partner all the best.

MrH

Hopefully one day all dca's will be history

Thanks again to everyone. Will go through this thread and detail and write some serious letters. In fact, I have been ringing and ringing DWP since the medical in August to chase it and they kept telling me that 'it was with the Decision Maker, they had a backlog and I would have to wait'. It was only last week that someone actually phoned me back and became very 'helpful' ( I had to threaten a complaint as well). She chased it with the Decision Maker and rang me back, her take was that DWP thought that it was a complex case and the medical assessment was 'harsh' although they had to abide by it BUT she sent me the report and the appeal stuff by Ist class post herself and told me to appeal. She did not put her name on any of this and told me that if I put the appeal in straight away, the benefit would still be paid until the Tribunal. Welfare Rights sent the appeal on Tuesday but the official 'letter' did not arrive until yesterday. So we have the report and the appeal is in.

I think that some people in DWP know that this is wrong, and are probably as sick of this as we are! Many people do not even find out about the decision until their benefit it stopped and they are probably the most vulnerable. Fecking disgrace

donate

Not that I'm being cynical or anything. I understand they're starting on DLA next, wonder what'll be after that? I think they should be doing something about all those lazy old people doing nothing to contribute to society taking up all the seats on the buses and getting benefits paid to them each and every week. The fact that they are increasing in numbers just proves that they have identified this as an easy life, after all we know people started getting ill and claiming IB because it was a more generous benefit than JSA. Think about it, the only reason people grow old is because they know a couple over 60 gets nearly twice as much as in their 50s. Bet they wouldn't if the benefits were frozen at the under 60 rate.

• 4 months later...

Morning all

I am bumping this as the appeal is in a week and a half's time and we seemed to have been 'dumped' by Welfare Rights who in fact have been less than helpful all the way through. They are now saying that their involvement seems to be going against the clients chances so it looks like we are on our own.

I have not yet submitted any supporting evidence to DWP or the Tribunal and need to do this in the next few days as they have asked for these 7 days before the hearing. I have myself obtained three letters supporting the appeal from the GP and two consultants and also have copies of letters sent to us after husband's hospital appointments etc. Do I just take these in or do I need to submit anything else?

I understand that the tribunal will ask my husband questions again about his health and daily activities, which he is not happy about and is very stressed

Any help would be appreciated as I am struggling a bit here

donate

Yes - do I need to complete one of these documents and send it? I did a draft one after the assessment which I sent to Welfare rights.

Need to know exactly what to submit in the next few days then we can think about the hearing

donate

once you have a copy of the report. you will see how they trick people. i,ve always said this accessment should be sound recorded. most accessors will allow you to record it. i think you,ll be one of the 75% have their appeal upheld.

it it get worse when atos start doing their face to face interviews for everyone on disability living allowance. properaly bring this site to a standstill.

i had one for industrial industries benefit. i scored 5 points. what to appeal. the doctor told the dwp rep. this shouldn't have even gone to appeal and allows me 20 points for 3 yrs then a review because it was degenative. 3 yrs later atos re-awarded me 5 points. went to appeal again and and due to an error on my side i forgot to turn up and was awarded 30 points for life in my absence

my report was written by mickey mouse. all important points that he was told was not included or worded different. he asked about family shopping. i replied i take my wife shopping to the supermarket on thursdays and i wait in the car unless they have the store wheel chair available.

he wrote. does a family shop once a week with wife. sometimes waits in the car otherwise helps with shopping.

:???: what me. never heard of you never had a debt with you.

One way to sort all this out would be to appoint an independent scrutineer someone who has no vested interest either way to be present at every assessment, to monitor what happens and to record what is said. Unlikely to happen unfortunately.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Such a person would need to be paid -

Question - by whom?

ATOS - leads to vested interest,

Claimant - inpractical, unethical and leaads to vested interest.

Goverment - the same people who pay ATOS for their contract, it would be a waste, not to mention their cutting of services, they likely can't spare the funds.

Such a person would need medical qualifications to make sure they understood what was going on.

This point is debatable, of course.

As a jobholder paying tax, they are likely to have a vested interest anyway.

I do not think that taking a relative or rep or asking for another ATOS official in the room is completely fair, either, as both are likely to take the side of those they are there to support. I'd say recordings were the only clear way forward.

One way to sort all this out would be to appoint an independent scrutineer someone who has no vested interest either way to be present at every assessment, to monitor what happens and to record what is said. Unlikely to happen unfortunately.

at the end of the day they get results for the government at the cost of joe public

75% appeals are upheld. how many didn't go to appeal and could have won. 1000s and 1000s.

:???: what me. never heard of you never had a debt with you.

In our case, very little of what was actually said was recorded by the assessor and she 'trivialised' the stuff she did record

Agreed. What you need to do now is construct an argument against the DWP/Atos's own system, using what they said about you and where it's wrong and how you think their descriptors should apply to you. Show the tribunal how many descriptor points you think you should have been awarded, hopefully the total will be over 15.

I hope someone else will know about submitting the document before the tribunal.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Many Thanks HB - I have submitted a statement based on your guide plus the supporting letters. Also the Tribunal sent us a complete set of medical records that the GP had sent them and I picked out relevant parts and letters from this which went with our submission, this proved to be very useful!

The Welfare Rights rep came to see us today and she is now coming with us to the Tribunal. Thinks we have a good case!

Was shocked to learn that at a time when more and more people are needing help with our dreadful benefits system - the Council are reducing the Welfare Rights team by 8 people out of 32 people and they are all having to reapply for their jobs and under redundancy threat - truly appalling!

donate

Appeal ****WON*******

Had hearing on Wednesday with - I thought - a very pleasant judge and doctor but had to wait til this afternoon for postman to bring the decision as hearing went on so long, they may have missed their luncheon if they had to deliberate then. Our postie works the Twilight shift apparently.

Many thanks to Honeybee for the template, I submitted an adapted variation of this which I am very happy to provide to anyone who needs a document to submit or add to the sticky . The judge actually thanked the Welfare Rights officer for providing it and said it was very help - but they obviously did not read carefully it as it says this had been written by me on behalf on Mr Dog. (Hopefully WR may use it for future appeals as they submitted nothing themselves!!).

The hearing last an hour and the doctor went through all the medical records and reports etc. asked Mr Dog lots of questions.

Two very important points came out - the tribunal decision is based on the evidence of how you were when the assessment took place, so do not say you are worse now as they will conclude that you were OK then and IT IS NOT based on Medical Condition and reports but how this affects the Descriptors only. According to the judge - this is the law, it is the descriptors - what you can or cannot do that matter - not what a doctor and three consultants think. I am not sure that this is actually 'law' and would argue that this is probably where this process needs more investigation and challenges.

Anyway - to cut a long story short. They listened to our evidence but at the end - Mr Dog did what we had told them he does often and took a wobbly - told them they were patronising and he had had enough and stormed out!! Leaving me and the WF officer to apologise profusely. The WF officer thought that it had been evident that he had been becoming more and more stressed for the last hour but I thought that they might think that he was just putting it on!!

Anyway - the letter says the following, can anyone explain what this means and what DWP will do with it as I have not got a clue

'The Appellant is entitled to Employment and Support Allowance with Limited Capacity for Work

The following descriptors are satisfied in Schedule 2 ESA Regulations:-

12c - 6 points

17c -9 points

Total 15 Points

Regulation 29 is not satisfied

No descriptors are satisfied in Schedule 3 ESA Regulations:-

Regulation 35 is not satisfied'

ANYONE know what this means

Mr Dog is also very hacked off that he has only been awarded points for 'mental incapacity' only as we also emphasised the physical disabilities he has with mobility and his hands - is this significant? His physical and medical conditions have obviously affected mental health so what is going on here? he has the 15 points but do they just stop at that and not give points for other descriptors?

Any input gratefully received

And many thanks to all, xxxx :-)

Edited by coledog

donate