Barclaycard / egg transfer nightmare

HP Mum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2955 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Nothing to stop you opening another personnel account with another bank!

Halifax, co-op etc. to get your payments into that and then just pay into Barclays the money you need to keep that running just!

They may possibly raid you Bar account for debts if in credit, cant put you into o/d.

Then try to sort with BC, min payment/month or something!

I am sure BC got a good deal when they bought Egg and would be expecting a lot debt, and allowed for a large amount to be written off in time.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Barclayslink3.gif keep changing the wording on my monthly visa statements.

The most recent change is

"Important Message, your account has been suspended. Please be aware we've temporarily suspended the use of this account because of the position of your other account. Please contact Customer Services if you haven't already to discuss the situation further"

Ok. So clearly they mean the "terminated" Egglink3.gif account they bought.

Has anyone successfully challenged Barclays yet ?

Clearly I need to put in writing that "I know nothing about any other account" But what to write ????

Anyone dealt with this yet ?

Has anyone written to Egg and sent SAR ?

Would be really good to know.

My gut feeling is that they are planning something. Slowly, bit by bit, they are informing ex Egg account holders info. I think they are giving us opportunities to reply. But most of use are doing nothing, I am sure. So will our silence and non questioning stance then go against us ? Barclays argument along the lines of "didn't you read the reivsed t&cs we sent out, didn't you read that your account is suspended due to the other account etc etc..."

I think we need to collectively agree on an attack. Out of 160000 there must be a large % who also have Barclays accounts who need a plan of attack...

Actually, I am most embarrassed to admist that I have had problems with lots of high street banks. And with all the buy outs, my problem accounts would register with most banks.

I'm a bit confused as to where you are now.

Egg terminated your account with a balance of about £4k outstanding.

You disputed the debt but I can't see the grounds for the dispute in the thread unless I've missed it.

Barclaycard take over Egg cards and all the accounts (including your terminated one with the £4k balance on it)

You plan to write to BC saying you now nothing of the Egg debt? On what basis?

Barclaycard have suspended your BC account too?

Lenders are of course entitled to withdraw facilities.

You say in post #23 about dealing with and getting rid of Barclays/Egg....what do you mean exactly?

Have you checked your credit file as previously advised?

Also move to open an account elsewhere...even if it is a basic account.

HI

i was actually participating in a (now closed) thread about Egg years ago.

see below:

Re: Termination of Egg credit card agreement (page 35 #694 onwards)

hello, new to this forum but have spent hours reading some of the threads and posts and now feel ready to participate !

I had an
Egg
link3.gif
account, since August 03. I was paying regularly, sometimes a bit late, but on the whole always paid. Egg terminated my account, like they did for 160,000 others. I can not find the termination letter though. Can someone tell me the apx date in 2008 that these letters were sent out ?

Unaware of the implications of Egg unlawfully terminating the agreement, which I have read about here, I carried on paying my monthly minimum or sometimes more.
sad.gif
Until the end of 08 when I took a long hard look at my financial circumstances and decided that my
mortgage
link3.gif
was my priority debt and I could only afford tiny amounts/month to each credit card company I had accounts (debts) with.

I had various letter correspondence with Egg from November to Jan 09. Then I got a Default Notice sent on 21 Jan. On the 22 Jan Egg wrote complaining I had not responded to the Default Notice - hardly surprising given it was only the next day ! On the 23 Feb, Egg sent me a "Your Egg Card Account has been terminated" - due to my failure to satisfactorily comply with the Default Notice. (Despite they had already terminated it apx 1 year ago). They said a
DCA
link3.gif
would deal with me now. I got passed on to DLC and have since been making token monthly payments to DLC. They have now passed me on to Aplins.

I guess I should have stopped paying when they first terminated my account at the start of 08. So now, what do I send Egg, DLC and Aplins ? Do I ask for a copy of the original Termination letter from them ? As well as the original credit agreement ? Do I send all 3 a letter saying I believe they have acted unlawfully ? Or just Egg, as I never gave them permission to pass on my details to the 3rd parties once they terminated the Agreement ?

There is actually apx £4700+ owed to Egg.

Advice is welcome
smile.png

So from July 2009 I started communicating with Egg, and various dcas. And then all communication stopped. Obviously because Egg was negotiating with Barclays to be bought out. I have had no details sent to me from Barclaycard - just the one letter mentioned at the start of my thread on the Egg forum - and these changes to my Visa statement.

The essence is that my Egg card was not in default and they terminated the account. And if they terminated it, how can they then sell an account that does not exist?. And if they continue to try and chase £s on this bought terminated account, where is the original paperwork to prove the account does exist (as far as they, Barclaycard is concerned)?? So, what I mean is, I doubt they have paperwork so should I send a SAR to force their hand?? Before they use certain legal moves that I am - and many others in same situation are - unaware of ??

Does this make sense ?

You might have to read the original Egg thread or the one I have copied from (Toymaker's).

I pressume the debt has been frozen; i.e. not attracting any further charges etc.

They ( egg ) can close your account for what ever reason, but the debt remains, and this has now been transferred to BC.

Suugest you come to some arrangement for payment, even at £1/month to acknowledge, but keep them from court action etc.

Have you asked CAB for debt advice.

NO.

Tried CAB once years ago and got very, very frustrated.

I have found that it is generally easier to deal with my personal affairs personally.

I am the one who knows my situation inside out and ultimately the buck rests with me.

I have found this site very useful and have just put the hours in to research and write the relevant letters to each organisation.

The issue with the "Toymaker" thread was the big question about whether the debt existed anymore

- did Egg have the original paperwork to prove the debt existed?

Did Egg terminate legally?

Did Egg transfer a credit card debt to a loan legally, without any signatures from the cardholder?

There were lots of unanswered questions from this situation, which has been made either more complicated by

Barclays purchase or much simpler in that Barclays can not prove the debt without the existence of the original paperwork.

As an example, I had a card with Halifax.

I missed some payments and very swiftly they issued papers for a ccj.

I followed some advice on here, copied a template letter asking them to provide all the paperwork which substantiated their claim against me

- which should have been attached with the court form

- and within 6 weeks they replied they would not be pursuing me for the debt.

In otherwords they could not provide the paperwork proving I even held a card with them, could not pursue the debt and so dropped the claim.

See:

icon1.png URGENT HELP NEEDED - Halifax CC Claim received (November 2009 thread)

I am now wondering if Barclays is collating all the paperwork in preparation of court papers? Or if they are playing bullish, as Halifax tried (and failed)?

This is why I am asking how many people have sent in a SAR to Barclays asking them to provide the original paperwork ?

I think you need to get another banl account as soon as possible. I know you say that you have tried and found it impossible but try again, this time try for one of the very basic accounts that the banks have to offer but don't tell anyone about.

The Co-op do one, and they say that no credit checks are done. Might be worthwhile to check their website. I believe that the account can only be opened in branch or on the phone and you need the usual forms of id.

"Just call us on 0845 602 7057 or visit your local Co-operative Bank branch to apply", from the website.

Jedicris

REMEMBER! Hunger is the enemy - NOT the hungry!

To avoid further hijack of this thread, the general discussion posts have been moved to here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?358264-General-discussion-about-Terminating-a-C-Card-a-c&p=3911180&viewfull=1#post3911180

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 7 months later...

I have an update on this issue.

I did nothing.

I never wrote/spoke to Barclays about the egg account that they had bought.

I never had any other letter or demand for payment from them.

And the extra amount on the egg account was never visible on my on-line banking list.

Yet last week I received a letter from Barclaycard saying they had sold my debt to them onto a dca.

I took a brief look at the letter and at first thought it was my barclaycard that they had sold on as I have not paid the full amount off or the correct minimum payments recently.

Then I realised that the balances were different. And I realised that they have simply passed the egg debt on to a dca.

Has this happened to anyone else ?

I am guessing that maybe barclaycard came to the conclusion that the debt was unenforcable

- ie this old angle that lots of people were trying

- that egg had terminated an account which was not in default and thus cancelled the debt....

I have heard nothing yet from this dca, but assume I will soon...

Would be good to hear if others have received the same letter from barclaycard...

expect marlins to start pestering you then.

read a few threads in this forum

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi HPM,

If you look at recent threads in the BC forum, you'll see that BC have sold a whole tranche of ex-Egg a/c's to Marlin.

See here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?383142-Marlin-Barclaycard-Egg-old-EGG-debt-sold-to-Marlin-recently-resources-threads-here

:-)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

The letter I received is dated 21st Feb. It tells me to contact them in the next 5 days.

It gives a reference # that I do not recognise.

it says original creditor was Barclays/ ta barclaycard.

It says current creditor is Marlin.

I have read a few threads. Some people say M is dangerous and one should reply immediately. Others say ignore them.

What is the best course of action ?

FYI

I had a debt with egg, less than 5k, which was terminated not in default, had lots of dcas chasing me - none successful - and the debt was then sold to barclaycard.

Edited by HP Mum

some people say that if you ignore Marlin they will immediately issue court papers.

This is of course frightening.

However, if they do issue court papers to me - and anyone else - without the original paperwork, signatures etc from egg then can I - and everyone else - issue a CPR 34.14 on Marlin ?

without trawling the thread

is this on your cra file?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Mum,

Marlin are still bound by the same rules and regulations that apply to every other bank and DCA.

Send Marlin a CCA request and see what they produce in response.

:-D

i had real troubles checking cra with experian. I could not log on as i could not remember password and the site would not let me set up new account using same name. Whatever I tried, it did not work. I gave up as I knew it would be bad...

I need to dig out all my old egg papers.

I think I sent a cca to egg and never got a proper response. Surely if I did this then do I need to do it again to Marlin?

It has been such a long silence that I have forgotten all the letter I wrote to all the dcas too.

Hi Mum,

Yes, repeat the CCA request with Marlin. There's no point in trying to tell them about what happened with the a/c in the past.

What matters is whether they have the necessary paperwork NOW to collect on this a/c or take any enforcement action.

If you can't use an on-line CRA check, sent £2 to Experian and they'll fwd a paper copy of your report.

:-D

I am curious about the date of Marlin's letters. Snail post indeed. Dated 21st, arriving 5 days later and giving only 5 days to reply - isn't that illegal ?!!

I have just drafted my CCA and will quick-foot it to the Post Office to get a PO drafted in the name of Marlin.

I just re-read the letter from B/C - it clearly says that B/C has wiped its hands of the egg debt and the owners are Marlin Capital Europe Ltd, who have appointed Marlin Financial Services to manage my account on their behalf. So who does the PO go to - Marlin Capital or Marlin Financial ?

I am curious about the date of Marlin's letters. Snail post indeed. Dated 21st, arriving 5 days later and giving only 5 days to reply - isn't that illegal ?!!

I have just drafted my CCA and will quick-foot it to the Post Office to get a PO drafted in the name of Marlin.

I just re-read the letter from B/C - it clearly says that B/C has wiped its hands of the egg debt and the owners are Marlin Capital Europe Ltd, who have appointed Marlin Financial Services to manage my account on their behalf. So who does the PO go to - Marlin Capital or Marlin Financial ?

marlin can go swivel you call the shots not them

they have no powers to dictate ANY time limits.

the CCA request goes to whomever is wanting money out of you on a debt,

dx

and they