style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4608 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is it the norm for employers to do some sort of CRB check? EVERY job I have went for involved a CRB check, then every one says it is comapny policy not to employ ex offenders.

Firstly my offence is very minor and will be spent soon. So will not be declared when not required to.

Secondly. God knows the amount of folk that are surfing on benefits that want to work but can't due to a mistake.

Mine was suicide, trying to take my life years back.

Suicide isn't a criminal offence. Assisting a suicide is. But the act of taking or attempting to take ones own life isn't - I think it was in the 60's the bill was reformed (I could be wrong but can check if you like). You won't have a criminal record for it, so it won't show up on a CRB.

Ezy

Hello there and welcome to the forum.

Like Ezychic, I'm surprised that's how attempted suicide is treated in Scotland, but from a quick google I can see that's how it is. I don't think every employer does a CRB check, but it depends what sort of work you're applying for.

From memory, I think on the forum we've advised people to talk to the prospective employer about the offence involved and explain for instance that they were young and misguided when they were involved in theft. In your case, I would have thought a sympathetic employer would be receptive to your explanation, especially if you can say that you've moved on and maybe had counselling to help you resolve the problems you had at the time.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

CRB checks should only be required for jobs which involve contact with children or vulnerable adults, or positions in finance or security work. Anything else would be an abuse of the system and needs challenging.

As regards the 'offence', were you actually charged and convicted?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

How did the police deal with your breach of the peace ?

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

All is fine during interview explain the circumstances and my life before events. However as I said, company policy is no. I was at uni, dropped out as no point. Basically due to what I have came across. So see no point getting a degree to bar me on the grounds of over qualified for jobs.

I have til Jan 2012 then this will not show up on a Basic. However looks like I shall be unemployed up to that time. Frustrating, but I fully understand why folk go on to re-offend etc.

Yes, I'm sure that would show in a Disclosure Scotland check, but that should still not stop you applying for jobs.

Like you say, a lot of the time it's company policy but you never know.

Edited by maroondevo52
Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Are we talking a bout a Criminal Records Bureau (or more appropriately, Disclosure Scotland - was forgetting that!) screening check, or just a disclosure on the application form as to whether you have any convictions or cautions?

Whilst I can see tentative links between cleaning work and the need for an applicant to no have convictions for theft etc, I have never worked for an employer who required CRB checks for cleaners, and I have never had a CRB for any job that I have applied for. There is not an entitlement for any job to need a CRB, and at about £25 a go I don't think too many employers would routinely get every prospective employee checked either!

So, if this is a matter of disclosing the conviction on an application, how close to being spent is it anyway? If you are continually getting knocked back when answering 'Yes' to the question over whether you have convictions, could you perhaps attach a statement to the application explaining the circumstances? Breach of the Peace could be any number of things, and it conjures up what may be a completely false impression, as, no doubt, in your case.

I have to say that it seems bizarre to pile a conviction and fine on top of somebody who is at a particularly low point in their life anyway. I wonder why that is still on the statute books as an offence?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Nearly all jobs make mention of a CRB check, so I don't even bother. However at 26 I have realised that a life in dead end crap payed work is all I will get. I was in the Army before and had a very good job offer before events happened. Then life turned and in the pits.

Life on the DWP, not one I wish. But something that appears to be the only dam thing! Others would sit back and put their feet up. Me, driving me into a deep depression.

Are we talking a bout a Criminal Records Bureau (or more appropriately, Disclosure Scotland - was forgetting that!) screening check, or just a disclosure on the application form as to whether you have any convictions or cautions?

Whilst I can see tentative links between cleaning work and the need for an applicant to no have convictions for theft etc, I have never worked for an employer who required CRB checks for cleaners, and I have never had a CRB for any job that I have applied for. There is not an entitlement for any job to need a CRB, and at about £25 a go I don't think too many employers would routinely get every prospective employee checked either!

So, if this is a matter of disclosing the conviction on an application, how close to being spent is it anyway? If you are continually getting knocked back when answering 'Yes' to the question over whether you have convictions, could you perhaps attach a statement to the application explaining the circumstances? Breach of the Peace could be any number of things, and it conjures up what may be a completely false impression, as, no doubt, in your case.

I have to say that it seems bizarre to pile a conviction and fine on top of somebody who is at a particularly low point in their life anyway. I wonder why that is still on the statute books as an offence?

If I don't declare, I then break the law. So is it really worh the risk, I don't think so. But to be fair, getting tempted and to hell with the system.

Breach of the Peace is a common law offence, like the majority in Scotland.

This will be spent in Jan/2012. From the offence up til 5 years you need to declare if asked. After that becomes spent. Therefore if I see a question, do you have criminal convictions. I can legally say no. If it says I need to declare including spent then a Standard or Enhanced will be happening.

Positive thinking!! Where do I get guidance on setting up a buisness?

Just a small one, enough money than I get and more important off the State. Idea: Dog Walking.

That sounds like a good idea :). There is a sticky on the forum with information on setting up a business. In case you don't know where they are, come out of this post using the back arrow, then scroll up past the thread titles to the stickies in the greeny-yellow section. It's by Martin3030.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

• 1 month later...
Nearly all jobs make mention of a CRB check, so I don't even bother. However at 26 I have realised that a life in dead end crap payed work is all I will get. I was in the Army before and had a very good job offer before events happened. Then life turned and in the pits.

Life on the DWP, not one I wish. But something that appears to be the only dam thing! Others would sit back and put their feet up. Me, driving me into a deep depression.

A friend of mine recommends a website called (Edit), they helped him get a decent job despite his conviction.

Edited by maroondevo52
Removed commercial site.