problem neighbour

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4651 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if anyone can help, the local enviroment officer says no the police suggest its a personal problem.

A neighbour is climbing up from his yard, some 12-18 foot on a ladder and spraying my trees and weeds with some sort of poison which has affected my established trees. he refuses to discuss the matter, when approached just shouting abuse and has ignored letters.

Can anyone advise where to go to obtain assistance please.

Are the trees subject to a preservation order? Are your trees overhanging your neighbours property or are roots causing any damage? if so, I believe he has a right to cut them back to the boundary only. He certainly has no right to access your property and cause damage. You need to be forceful with the local authority, Env Health may not be the correct dept. chack again with the council. Also if the neighbour has damaged your property contact the police again, ask to speak to a duty sergeant or officer and be persistant! whoever you spoke to fobbed you off!

You mention weeds, not shrubs, they must be extremely high weeds for him to use a 12 - 18 ft ladder to reach them.

Are the trees subject to a preservation order? Are your trees overhanging your neighbours property or are roots causing any damage? if so, I believe he has a right to cut them back to the boundary only. He certainly has no right to access your property and cause damage. You need to be forceful with the local authority, Env Health may not be the correct dept. chack again with the council. Also if the neighbour has damaged your property contact the police again, ask to speak to a duty sergeant or officer and be persistant! whoever you spoke to fobbed you off!

You mention weeds, not shrubs, they must be extremely high weeds for him to use a 12 - 18 ft ladder to reach them.

Nothing overhangs his property, its all behind our retaining wall. The trees in question are some 8-10' away from that wall.

I agree I doubt he would see the weeds from down in his yard it is 12' at least down. The only window that can see the weeds and our trees is his upper bedroom window. Sadly the trees are not under a preservation order but some have been established since before we moved in, some 20 years ago.

We have now reflected and the neighbourhood group meeting :) has decided his only need must be to stop a possible restriction to his Sky satellite reception. This is a problem we all have here and being so low he might suffer more. Its been suggested he might try removing the frontage to my house next.

I will try the council again on Monday and the police again by calling tosee the local station tomorrow.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Have been back to the police for the 5th time and now find myself cautioned for wasting police time. Have been to the council offices and no one is willing to help, so my neighbour is no killing off all my trees with no comeback.

Marvellous. I get cautioned for wasting police time, he kills my trees, poisons my cats and gets away free.

you have to decide what you want in way of compensation for what he has done in monetry terms, loss of amenity, disturbance, anxiety, time etc.

Them write to him ( letter before action ) stating what you want and give 14 days to respond and agree, send recorded, and if he does not start proceedings in small claims court.

I don't know if this is right or advisable but I am outraged that you should receive a caution for wasting police time...I would write a letter of complaint to the Chief Constable copying your local MP and local press complaining about your treatment and outlining our grievances with your neighbour. You have kids? This is clearly a serious matter particularly if children and animals could be affected.

I absolutely agree.... this is a criminal act and the police should be taking it far more seriously,. If you write a letter to the Chief Constable you will see them changing their tune. Shocking behaviour by the police. Definitely copy everybody in that will help - and include your local councillor too....

He needs to be approached and cautioned for his behaviour... I can't believe it is you that has been cautioned....

I hope this gets sorted out for you....that is just awful.

Gem

For sure the Police should take more of an interest, and I hope you get some movement there. A little more about the possibility of a civil claim: if you do write to the neighbour you should draw to their attention that you could bring a claim under trespass to land as they are directly interfering with your garden. As well as an injunction to prevent them from continuing you may also be able to claim damages. It is also possible to use reasonable force to repel him if you catch him in the act, so to speak. It is also important to bear in mind that trespass to land is actoinable per se, this means there doesn't have to be proof of harm or damage for a claim to suceed.