Eversheds/NatWest Joint Bank Account Overdraft Court Claim - Advice Please

radmm0
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4379 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Sorry, only just had chance to have a look at this thread. Dear me, what a set of idiots Natwest are, this is such a mess!!

I'm concerned at the legality of transferring the Chargecard debt to the overdraft without you specifically agreeing to it, although as it's a special type of current account lined to the card is that specifically "allowed" in the T&C's? If so one wonders whether it can be argued as an unfair term.

Normally I don't think it would be permissable unless there's a credit balance on the current account. Maybe query this with the Financial Ombudsman?

The first image in the uploads relating to the overdraft isn't a Default Notice issued under section 87, it's simply formal notice that they will add a default to your credit file.

The second image relating to the loan is a DN, and is compliant as far as I can see except for the priceless fact that it was issued AFTER the claim.

I'll be interested to see Andy's comments.

My own gut reaction is to go for a strike out for non disclosure and issuance of procedings without a DN, and immediately make a complaint to the FOS about the balance transfer to an overdraft.

Elsa xx

• Haha 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just done a little research after giving the builders a cup of tea to shut them up...

With regard to the right of set off of a sole debt from a joint account...the Financial Ombudsman would have something to say about this. To quote from a complaint in this respect:

40/1

transfer from joint account to pay debt on sole loan account

Mr G, an elderly widower, needed help with his financial affairs. He decided to make his daughter, Mrs B, a joint account holder on his current account. In that way, she could pay bills for him. It would also be easier for her to tie up his affairs after he died.

Some time later, Mrs B took out a personal loan with the same firm. Her father was quite unaware that she had difficulties paying the monthly instalments, and that the firm eventually called in the loan. Because Mrs B was unable to repay the money, the firm transferred funds into her loan account from the joint account she held with her father.

When she discovered what had happened, Mrs B was extremely upset because it meant that she had to tell her father about her financial problems. This was not only an embarrassment for her – it became a serious worry for her father.

When she complained, the firm defended its actions, telling her that the terms and conditions of the joint account allowed it to transfer the funds from the joint account. Unhappy with this, Mrs B then brought her complaint to us.

complaint upheld

The edition of the terms and conditions that the firm referred to was the most recent version. It had been issued some years after Mr G had opened his current account – after Mrs B had become a joint account holder and after Mrs B had taken out the loan.

Mrs B did not recall seeing the leaflet containing the updated terms and conditions. However, she accepted that she might well have received a copy as part of a regular mailing from the firm – probably with her monthly statement.

We noted from the latest version of the terms and conditions that there was a term allowing the firm to take money from the joint account to pay debts owed solely by Mr G or by Mrs B, as well as to pay debts owed by them jointly. However, we thought that this was such a radical departure from the normal position that it was an "‘unusual" term. It was also an " onerous" term, because its effect was to make Mr G liable for Mrs B’s debts.

A firm can only rely on terms that are "unusual" and "onerous" if they have been brought fairly to the customer’s attention. The Banking Code says that customers must be given personal notice of any terms that are to their disadvantage. We did not think it enough for a firm simply to include the revised edition of the account terms when it sent out routine statements to its customers, which is what had happened here.

We also thought that the term was "unfair" within the meaning of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. This was because it created a significant imbalance in the parties’ rights and obligations, to the detriment of customers. Specifically, it had the effect of making Mr G a guarantor of Mrs B’s debts – but without giving him the information that a guarantor should usually be given.

We told the firm to transfer the money back to the joint account – leaving it to find other ways of recovering the money that Mrs B still owed.

As mentioned above, I really think you need to involve FOS in this. Certainly I think their rulings on similar issues would help if referenced in defence. I also believe they can only set off against a CREDIT balance, not an overdraft, but not sure on that, but you might like to research that further. Might depend whether the set off took the account over an arranged OD limit.

Here's the link to the FOS page onright of set off.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm

Elsa x

Edited by Undercover-Elsa