Power consumption wrong on website. New cooker, no oven!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4736 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. Our old cooker was 'condemned' a couple of weeks back so we started looking at dual fuel cookers. We found one in Curry's and I had an electrician check the Curry's website specs for the cooker to see whether we needed a 30amp power supply. We didn't want to have one fitted if we could avoid it due to the cost - I have recently been made redundant. The specs showed that the power consumption totalled just over 2Kw, which means that normal mains sockets would be fine. We duly ordered the cooker and it came this morning. The engineers took one look at the sockets and told us that we needed a 30 amp power supply to use the cooker and showed me the specs in the cooker manual. The actual power consumption is more than double that quoted on the website!

Our options were: to have the engineers take the new cooker away and look for an all gas cooker; or let them install the cooker so that we can only use the hob until we have had the 30 amp supply put in. They told us they would come back and wire up the cooker when we had had the work done free of charge. We decided to take the cooker because we have three children and my wife is a childminder and we couldn't do without a cooker any longer, even without the oven.

This is probably going to cost us an extra two to three hundred pounds to sort out. I just wondered whether we might have any chance of getting help from Currys, seeing as their website was wrong? Does this count as false advertising? Do I have a leg to stand on?

Thanks in advanceof any advice you can give!

Did you order online? If so under the Distance Selling Regulations you have 7 days to return the goods. Go to nearest Currys/PC World or contact customer service on 08445611234 (I think).

They will arrange an uplift. If they refuse the SOGA and Trade Description Act come into force ie goods must be as described. Has the website been updated? If not print off a copy ASAP as proof.