£2600 npower bill for 8 months

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4693 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

We received a £2600 energy bill from npower covering the last 8 months after providing them with current meter readings.

Having checked our records we found that they had incorrect meter readings from when we first moved in (last June). Taking into account the correct readings from last June until now, the bill should be somewhere in the region of £750 given that we already paid £250ish last September..

HOWEVER

npower are saying that because the original readings are over a year old they can't adjust the bill, so the original bill of £2600 still stands and we have to pay it.

I say this is insane. I also say we would have noticed a lot sooner had they sent out quarterly bills (which they say we were down for) instead of waiting 8 months between bills.

Thoughts?

google code of practice for back billing, also do SAR under DPA as bluntly they lie, there may well be information that they haven't disclosed to you !Basically they can't go back further than 12 months if BB clause inforce. nor if they have calculated your energy consumption, which they can do as you have provided up to date readings, increase your debt.Ask for deadlock letter and go to ombudsman.

Can't go back more than 12 months? What rubbish & back billing code wouldn't be an issue here as the debt would be reduced. Is it collections who told you this? I would ask to speak to the complaints team. Most sensible poeople there would be delighted to rebill an account correctly & cut the debt.

I dislike getting into a slagging match but for you I will make an exception.The actual amount is less than the claimed amount therefore the debt is increased, this is covered by the code of practice,especially as the OP was providing readings. The fact that N power is incompetent is not his problem. Npower will then claim that they reviewed the account within last 15 months, however if they are supplied an actual reading they HAVE to provide a new bill.I am unsure why you think that the "complaints team" will help, they will do nothing other than toe the party line !1. Tell them account in dispute.2. Sar under DPA.3. write to N-power explaining what you want as resolution.4. Go to ombudsman.I have never had any dealings with collections ! I have supported lots of disabled people deal with an incompetent and disingenious organisation and won which is what counts after all.

I was not referring to you when I said can't go back more than 12 months what rubbish, I was referring to what he had been told.

The back billing code for billing can only be applied where billing an account correctly prior to 12 months ago would put the customer into debt or increase an existing one. Clearly in this case, if the account was opened to incorrect readings & amending those readings & rebilling would reduce the debt, back billing would not apply as rebilling would not make the customer any worse off.

I completely fail to understand why this can't be done. there is absolutely no rule about amending reads prior to 1 year ago. I asked if the poster had been told this by collections, as I know that many of them know nothing about accounts & wouldn't recognise an obviously incorrect bill if it slapped them in the face & sang! They just collect debt.

I suggested that the poster should speak to the complaints team because if this is as simple as is made out i.e. incorrect start reads causing large bill, they would see that in seconds & be happy to rebill correctly.

I know there is a lot of incompetence but companies & the people who work there do not want to bill people incorrectly for the hell of it!

Edited by davehsug

Hey guys,

I was told they wouldn't accept readings longer than 12 months ago by literally the first person I spoke to when I called their number. She then tried to get hold of someone higher up but no-one was available so I was advised I would be getting a callback which I have yet to receive.

And it really is as simple as incorrect start readings causing the large bill.

I'm going to give them a call this evening. I'm worried that they'll quote all sorts at me as I'm not really that clued up on this kind of thing.All I want is an accurate energy bill using accurate readings from 26th May 2010 and accurate readings taken on 15th June 2011Why is it so hard?