Parking Contravention - From Civil Enforcement Ltd

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4010 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I'm new and would really appreciate some help. I've done a lot of reading on the site already but would love some answers relating to my situation, if possible.

To cut a long story short, I received a "Parking Contravention Enforcement Notice" this morning from Civil Enforcement Ltd for £150/£75 (if paid within 14 days)...

I had parked in a KFC car park at 00:46 - 02:13 on a Sunday night; How that equates to £75 I do not know!

There is a small section which states "We therefore require payment of this Enforcement Notice, as the vehicle breached the limited free stay allowance as clearly stated on the signage" - I'm not sure of how long I was allowed to park there for, but as this was Sunday night i'm sure you can imagine how many people were queuing up for their "Boneless Banquet" at 00:46, with the doors being closed 1hour and 46 before.

Any help?

Thanks for the prompt response..

By not replying to their first letter does that not put me in bad stead for any situation which may arise in the courts? Not that it will go that far, of course.

Hi and welcome to CAG.

Yes, I can help by saying IGNORE. You have been issued with an invoice and nothing more. They have a number of hurdles to clear to extract this money from you. First, they need to identify the driver (who is not necessarily the RK) as it was he/she who entered the 'contract' with them by parking there. It would be that person they would need to persue in court for 'loss or damages' caused by you parking on their 'land'. Then they would need to convince a court that the charge is not a penalty or fine as a private company cannot recover these in law. So their charge would be seen as disproportiante to any losses so it would be considered to be a penalty which the judge would then dismiss.

What you will no doubt get is s series of 'threat-o-grams' designed to intimidate you in to paying which you should ignore. In the unlikely event of you getting an officially stamped court summons drop through your letter box, come back and we will advise you what to do about it. Thats if we havn't all died of old age by then!

In the meantime DO NOT contact them.

Thanks for the prompt response..

By not replying to their first letter does that not put me in bad stead for any situation which may arise in the courts? Not that it will go that far, of course.

I thought you said you had done a lot of reading!!:lol:

haha :) I just wanted to double check. Think I shall go for a drive later and see what signs are present at this car park and take some photos if necessary

I wouldn`t waste your fuel, just smile as the scary words and red ink arrive and think to self, ha ha they wasted another stamp and they

cannot do (rude words) about it, with big smile on face!

I tried getting another one to collect another set!

Tell everyone you meet or know about this site and about non council tickets!:lol:

Google the words 'PPC letters, what to expect' and you will see what letters happen next, do not be intimidated because they are very misleading indeed. The letters from Newlyn(debt-collector) are among the worst for lies and misleading information suggesting bailliffs will call (cannot happen outside of a Court case).

Wait for the letters to arrive, collect them, take copies and make a complaint to the OfT and your MP:

OFT http://www.oft.gov.uk/ complaints about debt-collectors for the attention of James Waldron

Local MP via http://www.writetothem.com/

No need to come back every time you get the next letter if you know what's coming!

HTH

• 4 months later...

Well it's been a few months since the original post and i've just received another letter from them... and now i'm a bit worried...

Attached is a 'Claim Form' for Northampton County Court which includes a claim for £265 + interest. On the front page it states that "Once a judgetment is obtained the options available to us are as follows: A Warrant of Execution, Appoint Court Bailiffs, Seize Your Vehicle, Apply for an Attachment of Earning Order, Apply for a Third Party Debt Order".

Help!

It won't be stamped. It's just been sent direct from cel to scare and confuse them. It's just a blank claim form with things scanned into it..

Someone over on mse had the same thing . With deliberate misleading payment offer.

Otherwise ill eat my hat......

Seems to be cel's new tactic!!!

hi guys, sorry for the delayed reply.

Nothing is 'stamped' but the documentation does appear to be that which is used by Northampton Crown Court as it states the name on the document. It includes all information of the 'offence'; it appears to be more like the documentation which will be submitted to the courts, rather than a document from the court themselves.

it appears to be more like the documentation which will be submitted to the courts, rather than a document from the court themselves.

in other words a "frightener" designed to scare you into paying because they pretend they are going to court. I think you should ignore it until they send you a stamped copy and meanwhile send this copy to Northampton court and ask them if they are happy that CEL are misrepresenting their official documents.

Hi guys , I was wondering if anyone has had an experience like this befor & ignored all these threats? Also if you dont pay for these claims does it affect your credit rating? Kindly advice

:???:

If you are referring to this thread then unless the claiment gets a judgement, then it cannot affect your credit rating. If you want more specific advice then I suggest you start your own thread and explain your situation.

Hi guys , I was wondering if anyone has had an experience like this befor & ignored all these threats? Also if you dont pay for these claims does it affect your credit rating? Kindly advice

:???:

Thousands have ignored, have a look around this forum! The only way that it could effect your CRF is if you did get taken to court lost and a judgement was made against you that you did not pay within 28 days.

The chances of anyone going to court, and them winning is so minuscule ignoring them is the thing to do!

I'm in the process of ignoring lots of these letters. I wrote back to CEL, telling them that I disputind the notice and they needed to contact the driver of the vehicle.

I then got one from Newlyn, so I wrote back to them telling them the debt was in dispute and they should refer back to their client - any further contact would be considered harassment etc. Newlyn acknowledged receipt of this letter but they're still sending me letters.

Am I able to do anything about their 'harrassment'? For the record, I'm not worried at all, and I'm happy to just go on ignoring their daft demands - but would there be any extra 'sport' in taking them to court (or whatever) for harassment?

My daughter has received a demand from Civil Enforcement Limited regarding parking without paying in a local park. Many people in the town have also received similar letters, some of who had actually purchased tickets. This issue was headline story in the local paper last week so the town council have now decided the cover the meters, so there is no way my daughter could have bought a ticket. She is now worried that this 'Enforcement Notice' is genuine even though I've told her that it is a more or less unenforceable. She is insisting on writing to them but I don't think she should. Advice please.