BT unlawfully? charging me...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4518 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yes, I agree. I changed my name in 2005, and no payments were ever made under my new name. Although I can't be sure, and have no way of finding out, exactly when I made the last payment, I know it was before I changed my name. So if I wait until the end of 2011, then I know for certain it's SB. So I'll ignore them for now, and if they haven't given up by the end of Jan 2012, I'll write to them.

Statute Barred by the sound of it, 2005 till now no payments would suggest so. I see B.Boo

has responded to you on the subject, so just wait and see what happens for now?

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

A cursory inspection of your credit record (like Experian etc) will show what outstanding on your file and might also have your change of name.

Once you have that information you can tell them to get lost with letter in the library..... http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?408-Letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred

Andrew

Escaped the DCA nightmare, now helping others start businesses

www.ukleakdetection.co.uk

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine once said he would never trust a company with the word "British" in the name. British Gas, British Telecom and so on. I completely agree, I have yet to find one that isn't conning and ripping customers off.

A friend of mine once said he would never trust a company with the word "British" in the name. British Gas, British Telecom and so on. I completely agree, I have yet to find one that isn't conning and ripping customers off.

Completely agree. BT are still demanding money from me for call charges, despite the fact that my call charges are all paid as part of my ISP package to Virgin! The problem is that you never deal with anyone with an actual brain, capable of a little independent thought: as far as they can see, it's there on their computer, and so it MUST be right! I've told them to stick their bill where the sun doesn't shine, and I'll see them in court, where I'll happily wave my Virgin contract:)

As for BG, I once had an issue with them over a final bill, from a property that had no gas central heating, and an electric immersion heater: the only gas was for the oven. As a single male at the time, I did very little cooking, and each quarter's bill was no more than £15.00. Yet, they somehow managed to demand a final bill, for two weeks worth of gas, of over £300... it took months to get that sorted (happily in the end, I might add), and that was only by writing to the Chairman himself...

Completely agree. BT are still demanding money from me for call charges, despite the fact that my call charges are all paid as part of my ISP package to Virgin! The problem is that you never deal with anyone with an actual brain, capable of a little independent thought: as far as they can see, it's there on their computer, and so it MUST be right! I've told them to stick their bill where the sun doesn't shine, and I'll see them in court, where I'll happily wave my Virgin contract:)

Write back and make a point of informing them:

The court case must be at a location within a reasonable traveling distance from your home.

They must write, informing you of the time and date of the court case.

Unless you do this, they will go to their own location and it will be heard with no opportunity for you to appear to make your case.

As for BG, I once had an issue with them over a final bill, from a property that had no gas central heating, and an electric immersion heater: the only gas was for the oven. As a single male at the time, I did very little cooking, and each quarter's bill was no more than £15.00. Yet, they somehow managed to demand a final bill, for two weeks worth of gas, of over £300... it took months to get that sorted (happily in the end, I might add), and that was only by writing to the Chairman himself...

Same here. I lived in a 1 bed flat and only a cooker running on gas. I used very little gas as a result but kept getting letters with an attached leaflet virtually accusing me of stealing gas. I eventually got very abrupt with them on the phone, surprisingly I managed to avoid the four letter words though :) and received a written apology.

The court case must be at a location within a reasonable traveling distance from your home.

Unless you do this, they will go to their own location and it will be heard with no opportunity for you to appear to make your case.

Good advice, thanks, but I doubt it will actually go as far as court. I'm assuming that someone with slightly higher intelligence than the trained monkeys who write/call will look at the issue before making a decision that will cost them a lot of money. Pity, as I'd actually LOVE them to take me to court: I have a signed contract with Virgin that just trumps anything they can say or do: they're in the wrong, and they would lose the case, and it would cost them a great deal of money, even more if I press for compensation for harassment, expenses etc. So eventually, I expect this will just gradually die away (and in fact, I haven't heard anything, no letters, no calls from DCA's, for about 4 weeks now, so I think somebody there has maybe already realised they're in the wrong...)

Good advice, thanks, but I doubt it will actually go as far as court. I'm assuming that someone with slightly higher intelligence than the trained monkeys who write/call will look at the issue before making a decision that will cost them a lot of money. Pity, as I'd actually LOVE them to take me to court: I have a signed contract with Virgin that just trumps anything they can say or do: they're in the wrong, and they would lose the case, and it would cost them a great deal of money, even more if I press for compensation for harassment, expenses etc. So eventually, I expect this will just gradually die away (and in fact, I haven't heard anything, no letters, no calls from DCA's, for about 4 weeks now, so I think somebody there has maybe already realised they're in the wrong...)

• dx100uk changed the title to How to get debt collectors off your back...a scary historic urban myth from 2007!!