Disabled parking bay, why?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4750 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

We have just had a disabled parking bay painted outside our property. We live in a block of four flats and nobody is disabled, in fact no-one in our cul-de-sac is disabled.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thank you

Perhaps one of the residents has a visitor who is disabled? But I would take MB's advice and telephone highways, as they would be able to confirm for you, you never know, they may have put it in the wrong car park by mistake.

Life is like an echo, it all returns......The good, the bad, the false, the true......So if you give life the best you have, the best will come back to you.

Perhaps one of the residents has a visitor who is disabled? But I would take MB's advice and telephone highways, as they would be able to confirm for you, you never know, they may have put it in the wrong car park by mistake.

I'm pretty sure that a person has to be resident at the address to get a bay. (Imagine how many bays there could be if a visitor got one everywhere they go)

I'm pretty sure that a person has to be resident at the address to get a bay. (Imagine how many bays there could be if a visitor got one everywhere they go)

True! Not only that, disabled parking bays that are outside of residential homes are not enforceable in law, as far as I know it is at the discretion of the driver. Although any decent person wouldn't take up a disabled bay.

Life is like an echo, it all returns......The good, the bad, the false, the true......So if you give life the best you have, the best will come back to you.

True! Not only that, disabled parking bays that are outside of residential homes are not enforceable in law, as far as I know it is at the discretion of the driver. Although any decent person wouldn't take up a disabled bay.

True, to be enforceable it would need a metal sign stating disabled only. And as I believe needs planning permission and would the council £1000+ this is not done.

Correct. If it is a white dotted box with the word 'disabled' painted on the road and no other signage, then it is a courtesy space. Nothing illegal with anyone using it, but bear in mind that they have usually been requested by a disabled resident because they need a space to park near their residence. They are not pianted for fun.

Thank you for all your replies.

Just to update you all I and several other residents rang the local authority highways dept, we were all met with the same reply. Put it in writing. We all did, by email and letter and none of us have received a reply.

My sister is registered disabled and had to jump through hoops to have a bay outside her house so I have no idea what is going on outside my property. Only one person out of 52 properties in our cul de sac has a blue badge but lives at the other end and has not applied for a space.

Hopefully Essex County Council will tell us all why they have put this yellow monstrosity outside our block.