• Tweets

• Post #415 you said you were unable to sell it yourself. Earlier I believe you said there had been expressions of interest, but only if the buyer could acquire the freehold title. I wonder if the situation with the existing freeholders is such that the property is really unattractive, in ways possibly not obvious to someone who also has an interest in and acts for the freeholders.
    • i dont think the reason why the defendant lost the case means anything at all in that case. it was a classic judge lottery example.
    • Hello, I will try to outline everything clearly. I am a British citizen and I live in Luxembourg (I think this may be relevant for potential claims). I hired a car from Heathrow in March for a 3-day visit to family in the UK. I was "upgraded" to an EV (Polestar 2). I had a 250-mile journey to my family's address. Upon attempting to charge the vehicle, there was a red error message on the dashboard, saying "Charging error". I attempted to charge at roughly 10 different locations and got the same error message. Sometimes there was also an error message on the charging station screen. The Hertz 0800 assistance/breakdown number provided on the set of keys did not work with non-UK mobiles. I googled and found a bunch of other numbers, none of which were normal geographical ones, and none of which worked from my Luxembourg mobile. It was getting late and I was very short on charge. Also, there was no USB socket in the car, so my phone ran out of battery, so I was unable to look for further help online. It became clear that I would not reach my destination (rural Devon), so I had no choice but to find a roadside hotel in Exeter and then go to the nearest Hertz branch the following day on my remaining 10 miles of charge. Of course, as soon as the Hertz employee in Exeter plugged it into their own charger, the charging worked immediately. I have driven EVs before, I know how to charge them, and it definitely did not work at about 10 different chargers between London and Exeter. I took photos on each occasion. Luckily they had another vehicle available and transferred me onto it. It was an identical Polestar 2 to the original car. 2 minutes down the road, to test it, I went to a charger and it worked immediately. I also charged with zero issues at 2 other chargers before returning the vehicle. I think this shows that it was a charging fault with the first car and not my inability to do it properly. I wrote to Hertz, sending the hotel, dinner, breakfast and hotel parking receipt and asking for a refund of these expenses caused by the charging failure in the original car. They replied saying they "could not issue a refund" and they issued me with a voucher for 50 US dollars to use within the next year. Obviously I have no real proof that the charging didn't work. My guess is they will say that the photos don't prove that I was charging correctly, just that it shows an error message and a picture of a charger plugged into a car, without being able to see the detail. Could you advise whether I have a case to go further? I am not after a refund or compensation, I just want my £200 back that I had to spend on expenses. I think I have two possibilities (or maybe one - see below). It looks like the UK is still part of the European Consumer Centre scheme:  File a complaint with ECC Luxembourg | ECC-Net digital forms ECCWEBFORMS.EU   Would this be a good point to start from? Alternatively, the gov.uk money claims service. But the big caveat is you need a "postal address in the UK". In practice, do I have to have my primary residence in the UK, or can I use e.g. a family member's address, presumably just as an address for service, where they can forward me any relevant mail? Do they check that the claimant genuinely lives in the UK? "Postal address" is not the same as "Residence" - anyone can get a postal address in the UK without living there. But I don't want to cheat the system or have a claim denied because of it. TIA for any help!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Imminent Charge on property Lloyds bank Business Loan pse help someone...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4480 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good afternoon Muffintop

I am pleased to hear that you and your husband have made your minds up in respect of how you intend to deal with this matter.

What I do not understand is your sudden turn around upon deciding not to defend the claim since your reports here on your case seem to have been made with conviction.

As with any thread/case that I post my advice and or opinion on, such advice/opinion is posted solely upon what the op reports on their case.

Good luck for now and the future.

Kind regards

The Mould

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a thought MT. Does the liquidator know about this? If it was a business debt originally then it must form part of the companies debts, so if your husband pays the debt as guarantor I wonder if he could be classed as a creditor of the company.

Also, you say Lloyds are claiming £23k. How much was the original loan for? If part of the £23k is made up of charges etc, it might give you some bargaining power for a F&F.

What was the interest rate on the loan and what was it on the overdraft. I wonder if the loan would actually have been cheaper than the OD, which would put Lloyds in a good light if it did ever get to court, despite the strong arm tactics.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Mt

I would look to some clarity on this situation,if you defend or not the claiment is looking to obtain a C/O if you lose or admit. I would defend a C/O, and complete a realistic I&E with a amount payable within your budget.

Do not be under the illusion that the more you offer the better your chance of avoiding a C/O. In fact this may make things worse in the long run.

I believe that you may have a chance of a succesfull outcome in light of recent results.However it's still a DJ lottery.If you are not defending you need to aim for a installment order,in most cases they will then not be able to obtain a C/O. This is not catorgoric however, as many cases on here prove.

The fact is though you will not recieve a full c/o., as the debt is your husbands, and the property is jointly owned, I assume.the only thing the creditor can do is place a restriction with the LR. This is not the same as a charge or a mortgage & does not impose a obligation on paying this amount should you wish to sell in the future.

Just had a thought MT. Does the liquidator know about this? If it was a business debt originally then it must form part of the companies debts, so if your husband pays the debt as guarantor I wonder if he could be classed as a creditor of the company.

Also, you say Lloyds are claiming £23k. How much was the original loan for? If part of the £23k is made up of charges etc, it might give you some bargaining power for a F&F.

What was the interest rate on the loan and what was it on the overdraft. I wonder if the loan would actually have been cheaper than the OD, which would put Lloyds in a good light if it did ever get to court, despite the strong arm tactics.

Hi C

Yes i mentioned this earlier, it deems that the company has little or no assets to liquidate, or that id the impression i got.

Peter

Hi read all above posts thanks. Reason I have turned around my decision to attempt to defend a indemnity guarantee, is because any defense we had was weak and we cannot afford to end up in a worse case of debt than we started with ie with costs and solicitors fees, I didnt realise at that stage that any sar would be fruitless as the debt came from a business overdraft and loan which were consolidated into a guarantee and indemnity loan secured on my husband as the only director at that time of a business which has since been disolved and is with the administrators.

Hence he cannot obtain information about any ppi from any past statements as he doesnt have them, the administrators do, he cannot get info on subject access request it seems from when he had the original business overdraft and business loan as its not a SUBJECT but a company. I still intend to pursue this with information commissioner for clarity.

I now feel that its better to swallow it and try to negotiate either a payment plan they will accept or a f and f... however 0h already offered 250 a month and they wont have it unless he signs to accept a charging order as well.. I guess at least he hasnt accepted this and is prepared to go to court to see what the dj decides on this .

This leads me to the 3rd part of my decision and the problems I face with this.

I am very worn down with this now and tired stressed.. I am reading thread after thread on charging orders now to be ready for any suggestion of this in the event of court case continuing.. but the information and the way I perceive that information to read my husband and I interpret in different ways.

The way I see it is:

I can defend an interim charging order on the following grounds..

I have a serious illness that will not go away and although work am registered disabled.

House is adapted to my needs

We have 2 stepchildren under age of 18 who we have shared care for and again house expecially big enough and close enough to their school for this purpose

I have a daughter still in full time education living at home

This is the sticking point my husband and I interpret in different ways. If a charging order is granted to Lloyds this would give all the other people my husband owes money to a disadvantage as they wouldnt have a similiar charging order. These debts are credit cards which have been in dispute for a couple of years following a request for cca from them, all pre 2004 credit cards. However if we put this forward as a defense to a co the judge may say 'I agree the other debtors will be disadvantaged, even though they are in dispute at the moment this may not be forever and even though you can pay 250 at the moment, you may not be able to pay this if these debts become enforceable' In those circumstances he may say, I dont feel you can pay 250 a month and I think that a charging order would be best option.

This is whats causing us to see this scenario in different ways and as such it is difficult to make representation to Lloyds in negotiation of why we feel a charging order wouldnt be granted to them, or to sort out what offer we should make, ie stay with the 250 a month which is best for us or make a f and f which means we are selling everything that we can to raise some money which wont be enough.

No, the liquidators, administrators dont know about this issue at the moment and oh is clarifying with them tomorrow that they arent paying any money back to Lloyds as well as us paying money back as well hence possible duplication of the debt.. as far as any PPI, cant see how it would benefit us to tell administrators about this possibility until we know if there is any PPI taken out and this is the sticking point as Lloyds wont tell us as it relates to a company which is now disolved..

Just started the blood pressure tablets!

muffintop

Won Nationwide £900 and £1908 Bank Charges

Lloyds personal account 1,861

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Abbey bank acc. Stayed 2008

CCA requested Barclaycard Nov 08 - n1 issued - GAVE UP

CCA Mbna Nov 08- n1 issued - GAVE UP

Marks and Spencer Money Nov 08 -lost found 2b enforceable.

Tomson Holiday - WON

if I help you tip my little scales it gives me a thrill. MT

MT, you always have to do what is right for you and yours and not something that an anonymous person on a public forum says you should - I totally respect your decision to take control of the situation and to make this the 'right' outcome for you. We aren't all 'consumer champions' and it's never an easy decision to take, but I think you're doing the right thing for you in your situation.

The next steps are to contact them, perferably in writing/by fax, so you can lay your terms of settlement out. Best to get a consent order drawn up (the other side should do that for you) and have the Court seal it as settled on those terms. This way, there can be no confusion as to what has/hasn't been agreed and both sides will know the score.

As for the PPI, Lloyds cannot desist from telling you about any insurance policy that may assist in the settlement of their debt. It was taken out for that very purpose if it was taken out. I would write to them and ask them to advise you who, if any the insurance company were. This has become a 'personal debt' so your husband has every right to know and if they won't tell you direct, pick up the phone to any Lloyds big branch and just ask a blind question " I have a Lloyds Business Account and I'd like to know if we took out a PPI policy, which Insurance company would you put it through?" Mine for example was with Lloyds TSB Insurance on my Lloyds Ltd Company business PPI. call these people on 0845 300 5599 and just ask them if they have a policy in your husbands company name or in his name, just have the business bank account number handy if you know it. Speculative, but there's more than one way to skin a cat. If they do have one then it's then over to you to ask how he can go about making the claim. These people are usually very helpful. If they don't then ask this division of Lloyds Insurance who else they would have underwriten policies with around the time of the consolidation of the Overdraft and repeat the process.

I realise how traumatic this may be, but it will resolve itself - been there got the T shirt and it does get better every time you move one step towards resolution.

Actually, if these debts are rpoving difficult and there are a number of them, have you thought of going to Payplan or CCCS who will take the whole lot over and pro rata the debts with your creditors for you.

I helped a lady with £96,000 worth of debt (don't ask!), Payplan set the whole deal up over a 34 yr period (she was 67!) and she was paying £125 per month which Payplan split on a pro rata basis amongst the creditors for her. All she had to do was set up the standing Order and pay, the rest was taken over for her and the scheme was reviewed annually or every 6months (can't recall now).

Once the heat was off and she'd settled down from the trauma of things, just as you are going through now, she could take a breather and take a further look at her priorities and life.

She was a friend of mine and I took over negotiating thereafter full and finals with each of the creditors in turn when she had a pension policy mature and paid out. I settled the whole lot, via full and finals for £30,000. Paying one off at a time and reducing each time the £125 by the pro rata'd amount. This didn't include secured debt, but another chum of mine has an RBS Directors guarantee unsecured and that's paid via Payplan. £40k guarantee, he pays £85 a month towards it via Payplan. I'll hit that one too with a f & f fairly soon for him too.

There are always options. http://www.payplan.com/

Good luck.

Correction: My Insurers were Lloyds, but ITT London & Edinbrugh - 01903 230599

Edited by andrew1

Thanks guys for all the support. Can I ask you hang around on my thread for a bit longer to see what unfolds and to get any further opinions on charging order situation and what happens with the court cse if any. I do intend to advise husband to ring Lloyds re the PPI.. put it in writing and seek advise from the Information Commissioner on this issue as it may show Lloyds have been obstructive in providing information.

I dont understand why a defense to a charging order is that it would give preferential treatment to one creditor? can anyone answer above.

This is the sticking point my husband and I interpret in different ways. If a charging order is granted to Lloyds this would give all the other people my husband owes money to a disadvantage as they wouldnt have a similiar charging order. These debts are credit cards which have been in dispute for a couple of years following a request for cca from them, all pre 2004 credit cards. However if we put this forward as a defense to a co the judge may say 'I agree the other debtors will be disadvantaged, even though they are in dispute at the moment this may not be forever and even though you can pay 250 at the moment, you may not be able to pay this if these debts become enforceable' In those circumstances he may say, I dont feel you can pay 250 a month and I think that a charging order would be best option.

As far as other debts go, husband isnt on a payment plan with cccs as I am, because he doesnt want to acknowledge the debts due to failure from them to provide cca since 2007 and numerous requests sent formerlly, there seems a debate on this I have subbed to here on default notices.. I did acknowledge my debts pay them via cccs and have a trashed credit file which appears to be able to extended beyond the 6 years I thought I had a prison sentence, apparently if you dont acknowledge them or pay them at all they drop off! so me doing the right thing is actually the wrong thing.

muffintop

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Tomson Holiday - WON

The CO would, in effect, secure the debt against your property - that would prejudice other unsecured debts, as they would 'lose status' in any sale of the property, them being unsecured and secured debts taking precedence.In effect, the Court should look at this issue when awarding a CO. Not sure on it's success as an argument, TBH, but there are others you can use to 'bolster' it with.

Lloyds sent us letter today re the sar we requested and why it was declined.

As the request was for information pertaining to a Limited Company (now in liquidation) which is in itself a dinstinct legal entity, for which you are no longer a director, you are not entitled to information you requested as per your letter.

With express written authority from Lieuidator the ban k may be able to provide some of the information you have requested.

We DID NOT TAKE OUT PPI Insurance.!

So husband now needs to negotiate with Lloyds or show that he has tried to.. advise court that no longer wish to defend and sit back and wait for Lloyds response.. I have no doubt they will continue with the court case but at least we will have a paper trail to show we have tried to fairly negotiate with them and then try to defend any charging order.

muffintop

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Tomson Holiday - WON

The CO would, in effect, secure the debt against your property - that would prejudice other unsecured debts, as they would 'lose status' in any sale of the property, them being unsecured and secured debts taking precedence.In effect, the Court should look at this issue when awarding a CO. Not sure on it's success as an argument, TBH, but there are others you can use to 'bolster' it with.

Is it possible to have loads of charging orders on your house or just one? ie could Lloyds put on on with a secured debt .. and the credit cards also get one for unsecured debts?

muffintop

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Tomson Holiday - WON

Right thanks... so I dont see the point of defending charging order on the grounds that Lloyds would get preferential treatment over unsecured debts, as it only hightlights that they exist.

I cant find sequences thread on charging orders can anyone give me the name of thread of a link pse

muffintop

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Tomson Holiday - WON

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

HI Guys just checking in... nothing to report at moment apart from been transferred to our local court and have been in negotiation with Lloyds who have said they want to wait for a response to our written complaint about duress before we re commence any negotiations.... suits me sir.. may then defer longer if take it to fos... all giving us time to sell anything we have to raise some money as a bargaining tool...

muffintop

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Tomson Holiday - WON

Case moved to our local court. Hearing date received today for 15 Aug copy of the request I made to defend attached to it, no directions from DJ as to whether this has been agreed?

I am assuming it has and as per previous posts after going through official complaints process re duress with Lloyds we can see that we are stuffed in any defense to taking out this loan and best to try to bat off any charging order. This means that we have 8 weeks to challenge the results of the complaint with Lloyds or go to FOS and if we dont they are willing to negotiate with us..

Should I therefore let court know that following results of our complaint we have decided to enter into negotiations with Lloyds prior to court and we are not wishing to defend the taking out of the loan any longer and as we are negotiating can we ask for a stay until this has been finalised?

dont want the court to think we are defending when we are not. Of course we will defend any subsequent charging order.

Any advise pse

muffintop

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Tomson Holiday - WON

You do not need to, nor are you obliged, to tell the court anything yet. Why let anyone know your true situation? It’s not a question of honesty, but a question of process.

The court expects you to negotiate prior to any hearing. Dem’s da rules!

You don’t tell your oppo in negotiations what you will really settle for at the outset!

So it’s a question of setting out your stall to begin negotiations.

true, thanks very much will keep you informed

muffintop

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Tomson Holiday - WON

• 2 weeks later...

Lloyds solicitors have rung husband today and asked for a monthly negotiation figure of under 500 a month if he can negotiate something they will go ahead under a tomlin order.

they wont freeze interest though but have lowered it a bit.

What do you think? got to be better than a charging order

muffintop

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Tomson Holiday - WON

Is it an amount that you can realistically afford?

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Lloyds solicitors have rung husband today and asked for a monthly negotiation figure of under 500 a month if he can negotiate something they will go ahead under a tomlin order.

they wont freeze interest though but have lowered it a bit.

What do you think? got to be better than a charging order

Think I would prefer the restriction £500 a month Ouch!!!!

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 4 months later...

Any update Muffintop?