• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

£12 Credit Card Charges?

Mike295
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6435 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Has the new £12 charge for Credit Cards taken effect yet, if not does anybody know when effect will take place? Reason i ask is because only this week i had a charge from Capital 1 for £25.

Thannks ...... Mike.

hi as far as i am aware all cc are now £12 they reduced their fees on the 28th june or july.

Has the new £12 charge for Credit Cards taken effect yet, if not does anybody know when effect will take place? Reason i ask is because only this week i had a charge from Capital 1 for £25.

Thannks ...... Mike.

The new £12 charge? Please don't take this the wrong way but I think you are being led astray by the money lenders.

The £12 mentioned by the OFT in their report is NOT a "new" fair and lawful charge but rather the level above which the OFT will consider to be automatically unfair. A charge of less than £12 will not automatically be considered fair though.

English (and Scottish) Law is clear on the issue. A clause in a contract that imposes a penalty upon one party is unlawful at Common Law and a clause which requires a person acting as a consumer to indemnify another against negligence is void under the terms of Sec.4 Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977, unless the inclusion of the clause it's self meets a test of reasonableness. The fact that the charge created by such a clause is set at a particular level does not make the actual clause that provides for said charge valid.

P.

Northern Rock; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered. Recieved details of 6 yrs charges on 8th. Wrote back asking whether or not they hold information going back further than that.

MBNA; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06

Barclays; S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request sent 11/8/06 - Del 14/8/06

Diners Club; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06. Recieved form to fill and return with fee on 17/8/06. Sent form back, delivered 4/9/06.

Intelligent Finance; Prelim letter emailed 16/08/06, claiming £318. Email recieved from "Anne-Marie" 17/8/06 saying my email has been passed to Customer Relations dept. Fob-off letter received 23/8/06, letter sent in return same day - Delivered 24/8/6 Recieved letter offer 25% settelement - refused - LBA sent. MCOL on 10th revcieved notification that they intend to defend on 13th. 06/9/2006 WON!!!!!!

Phantom, what are you on about?

OP is asking when the cap was due to be implemented, which was the end of August. He never said anything about "fair" or "lawful".

Yes, we know it's not an "allowed" fee per se, but the point is that the c/c companies were all supposed to drop their charges to a maximum £12 by the end of August, and if they haven't, then OP should contact the OFT ASAP and make them aware, as it is a clear breach of the OFT's decision.

Hi

Just so I understand this properly, just because the banks have reduced their charges to £12 now, it doesn't mean we can't chase them for those too?

I ask only because I've only just started sending out SARs, and in 40 days time, I'll probably have more charges levied but at the new rate and I need to know what I can claim for and when the 6 year time limit starts and ends.

Thanks

SirOweALot

BOS CC1 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 14/9/06

BOS CC2 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 14/9/06

FD CC SAR sent 14/9/06, PAR sent 10/10/06 claiming £457, sodoff letter rec'd 25/10/06, LBA sent 26/10/06

MBNA CC SAR sent 14/9/06, reply 22/9/06 looking into it, sodoff letter +£400 GW rec'd 13/10/06

Let Battle Commence...

I am due to send of a claim to RBS Credit Cards £156 in total. One of the charges is £12 so i can still claim this right?

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”

the charges are penalty charges, anyhting other than covering the cost of the admin of the breach which gives rise to the penalty is an unfair charge.

So unless they claim that their costs are £12 for sending an automated letter then its a penlaty thats unfair and can be reclaimed.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

LOL

I suppose in theory if it acutally did cost them £12 quid it wouldnt be unfair, have you seen the report to the treasury that gives an indication of their costs?

I dont have it here, its at home but it was as you would suspect pennies.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

but the point is that the c/c companies were all supposed to drop their charges to a maximum £12 by the end of August,

Actually, the OFT said nothing of the sort. In fact they said the complete opposite (about the £12) - they said that "this does NOT mean that credit card companies should simply drop their charges to £12"

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

From the OFT announcement:

The OFT is not proposing that default fees should be equivalent to the threshold, and a court will certainly not consider that a default fee is fair just because it is below the threshold.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

Try here

Banking Review Final Report

You want chapter 7

Existing price structure

Current accounts are priced in a way which recovers total costs but does not reflect the underlying costs of any one account. There are significant fixed costs in providing a current account, as well as transaction costs. Face to face transactions are more costly to provide than their internet or telephone equivalents so banks usually lose money on them overall. To give an idea of actual costs, ATM withdrawals cost up to 30 pence, automated credit transfers about 10 pence and cashback transactions about 15 pence. Paying in cheques, by whatever method, costs on average 45 pence. Using a branch counter for transactions costs about £1. In round terms, the incremental set up cost of a current account is about £25. Incremental fixed maintenance costs, including quarterly paper statements, add around £10 a year.

Banks make money by using the positive balances held in current accounts, on which little or no interest is paid. Accounts in credit in the UK in 1998 had an average positive balance of £1,175, each generating up to £75 income for the suppliers. Banks also charge interest and fees on overdrafts. This implies that, overall, the provision of current accounts is a profitable activity. However, there is significant cross subsidy between different types of customer. The banks do not seem to have the data needed to quantify the degree of cross subsidy, but the direction is clear. The beneficiaries are customers who maintain low positive balances and make heavy use of high cost transactions for which they are not charged. The losers are customers with high positive balances who make few face to face transactions. Because prices are set nationally, there is also likely to be a cross subsidy between geographical locations with different cost bases. Busy urban branches are likely to subsidise small rural ones, for instance.

The full report and all sections are available i havent read every word, you'll understand why if you look, but this bit caught my eye.

HTH

Glenn

• Haha 1

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Dave, I know that. What I am trying to say is that we all knew that not a single one of them was going to drop their charges below that, right? So it was reasonable to infer that they would drop their charges to £12.

The point is not about the £12 on this thread, it's about WHEN the OFT expected to see the drop, any drop, implemented, and that date was the end of August, as I recall (On that, I am happy to be corrected, it's a while since I read it! :-D). OP has been charged £25 and it is mid-september, so Capital 1 seems to be in breach of the deadline. You with me, Sir? ;-)

Yes, I know that was your point.

However, I just didn't want the misunderstanding that seems to be floating around that the OFT said 12 quid was fair to propagate any further.

Anyway, the 'offence' could have happened over 28 days ago - hence the charge is over the £12.

------------

------------

I just opened a natwest step account and the charges are still really hgih I think it was £38 for unauthorised o/d, anyway I hope these charges have been amended and it is a fact that the booklets haven't been reprinted.

Barclaycard Student credit card £400 partial refund received, S.A.R -

Open & Direct Finance- extortionate, cca to Rockwell debt collection they ran away, now with Bryan Carter, no cca 17/03/08 sent back to Open

Pugsley v Littlwoods, have not received the signed credit agreement only quoting reg of 1983

Pugsley v Fashion World JD williams, 17/03 2008 Debt Managers returning file to JD williams as they could not supply the credit agreement

Capital one MCOL Settled in full

Smile lba settled in full

advice is given informally and without liability and without prejudice.

However, I just didn't want the misunderstanding that seems to be floating around that the OFT said 12 quid was fair to propagate any further.

Ah. You might want to contact a few banks and c/c companies and tell them that then, lol. Because they seem adamant. ;-)

Anyway, the 'offence' could have happened over 28 days ago - hence the charge is over the £12.

Now, THAT's an interesting point.... Surely, the new charge should be applied from the OFT's deadline regardless of when the "offence" happened? In the same way that they are now applying higher inter interest rate on the overall balance, rather than just the new purchases since the new tariff came in force?

Thoughts?

Just for people that didn't know, i have had to research alot on cheques lately with the banks being silly with me. Someone might find this useful

The reason it costs them 45p to deal with a cheque is because its sent to a centre in Milton Keynes i believe (this applies to all banks) and is sent 1st class this is why it can take up to 5 days for a cheque to clear, however the system that is in place should mean that the cheque should clear in 3 days. I realise this is off topic but someone may find it interesting.

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

My advice is only my opinion, I am not a legal expert.

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.

Phantom, what are you on about?

OP is asking when the cap was due to be implemented, which was the end of August. He never said anything about "fair" or "lawful".

Yes, we know it's not an "allowed" fee per se, but the point is that the c/c companies were all supposed to drop their charges to a maximum £12 by the end of August, and if they haven't, then OP should contact the OFT ASAP and make them aware, as it is a clear breach of the OFT's decision.

Sorry, from what OP had written I got the impression that he thought that the £12 figure was one which the OFT had ordered the CC providers to impliment as a fair and lawful fighure which couldn't challenged. They haven't, of course, and such a fee can still be challenged.

P.

Northern Rock; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered. Recieved details of 6 yrs charges on 8th. Wrote back asking whether or not they hold information going back further than that.

Diners Club; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06. Recieved form to fill and return with fee on 17/8/06. Sent form back, delivered 4/9/06.

Intelligent Finance; Prelim letter emailed 16/08/06, claiming £318. Email recieved from "Anne-Marie" 17/8/06 saying my email has been passed to Customer Relations dept. Fob-off letter received 23/8/06, letter sent in return same day - Delivered 24/8/6 Recieved letter offer 25% settelement - refused - LBA sent. MCOL on 10th revcieved notification that they intend to defend on 13th. 06/9/2006 WON!!!!!!

Hi

Just so I understand this properly, just because the banks have reduced their charges to £12 now, it doesn't mean we can't chase them for those too?

I ask only because I've only just started sending out SARs, and in 40 days time, I'll probably have more charges levied but at the new rate and I need to know what I can claim for and when the 6 year time limit starts and ends.

Thanks

SirOweALot

In answer to your first question - correct.

The 6 year limit runs from the date at which the original cause of action arose. Normally this would either be the date of the charge or the date at which you became aware that said charge was actually unlawful. This limit is set by the Limitation Act 1980. However, the Act provides an exemption from this 6 year limit if you can show that the unlawfulness of the charge had been hidden by the bank that made it, that they had decieved you into paying it. In such a case the 6 year limit will start running from the point at which you discovered the banks deception, or the point at which you could/should reasonably have discovered it. Sensibly, I think the earliest that customers could reasonably have been expected to know about it was the time of the OFT report in May 2006. The banks, I suspect, should have known about it at least two years prior to the report because they must have known that the OFT was investigating. In reality I suspect that the banks knew about it decades ago but it's proving it that is the problem. There is a seperate thread on this matter somewhere.

P.

• Confused 1