Philips dca chasing debt of previous house owner

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4796 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

This goes back quite a while now, we first had a letter for a lady who we have never heard of (wasn't even the person that lived in this address before us) demanding money. After a phone call they stopped sending letters.

January this year we received a letter demanding we pay £224.82 regarding a consumer express gifts 2nd placement (haven't got a clue what that is), another phonecall and the lady on the end of the phone says she'll delete us from the system.

February 4th we get anothet letter demanding payment that reads as follows.

--------------------

Despite our previous demand for payment you have failed to clear your arrears (as stated above) or make suitable repayment proposals.

The amounts which remain outstanding to above named client (who we never heard of but has our address) must be paid in full within seven days of this demand by contacting TEL:0844 800 4588 (24hr) or by visiting .philips.org.uk. Should you be unable to pay the amounts outstanding, within seven days you MUST contact one of out customer service operators on TEL: 0844 800 4588 to arrange a suitable repayment plan.

If you ignore this demand for repayment or fail to arrange a suitable repayment plan within seven days, we will issue this case to one of our debt recovery agents to attend your premises to arrange payment with you.

Yours faithfully

Amanda Middleton

----------------------------------

We have phoned philips again and they asked us to send a council tax form, when queried why we have to send this, the person on the phone simple said "as you are not willing to cooperate i will not deal with you" and simply hung up (this was after 30mins on the phone being passed around person to person. We simple asked why they want us to send the tax form. The other worry is if we send the consil tax form they will also have our correct details and simply change the details of the debt.

We havent taken any legal action as of yet, what should be do?

Lets get this straight.

As i understand it,

1) you don't owe the money?

2)The demand isn't even in your name.

It sounds as though there isn't even a ccj against the actual debtor.

In which case they are NOT bailiffs, but a Debt Collection Agency.(Philips operate as both) They have no more powers than say someone who knocks on your door asking for charity donations, or if you want to buy some sponges.

These people make me really angry. I've seen their website, and it's clear they try to blur the distinction between the bailiff business and the DCA.

There is a forum for dealing with debt collection agencies and what to do when they harass you or as in this case wrongly target you for someone else's debt.

You have nothing to fear.

I've not done it before, but i'll press the 'triangle' button and see if you get moved to the correct area.

Personally, i wouldn't send them anything (well i would, but it would originate from my dog! (just joking of course!!)).

just send the letter back saying not at this address

end of

dx

moved to dca forum

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

There is absolutely nothing they can do to you and absolutely nothing for you to worry about. They are wasting their own time and money. You do not need to comply with any of their requests and as DX states, send their letters back.

If they persist, come back and we will sort out a letter for you and point you in the direction of making official complaints, but for now I wouldn't waste your time and effort on them

My advice is given through personal experience and is given without prejudice

If I Have helped please feel free to click the star

:smile:

They are in breach of OFT guidelines, they should not be chasing anyone for payment unless they are 100% sure they are the debtor. You should make a complaint to your local Trading Standards via Consumer Direct http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/contact

The more people that complain about these companies the better, particularly ones like this who wear two hats and insinuate they are acting as bailiffs when in fact they have no more powers than the local paper-boy.

They are in breach of OFT guidelines, they should not be chasing anyone for payment unless they are 100% sure they are the debtor. You should make a complaint to your local Trading Standards via Consumer Direct http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/contact

The more people that complain about these companies the better, particularly ones like this who wear two hats and insinuate they are acting as bailiffs when in fact they have no more powers than the local paper-boy.

You have a point, we should complain about everything otherwise they continue to do so. Request a copy of their complaints procedure

My advice is given through personal experience and is given without prejudice

If I Have helped please feel free to click the star

:smile:

What you will find is that if you manage to get rid of Phillips, in a few month times another debt collection will start contacting your address. I have had this with other DCA's and it is a pain in the *ss. You just have to keep on complaining and hope that they give up, which they will do eventually.

The problem is that the debtor concerned still has the address registered on a credit record, so when a new DCA picks up the debt, they will contact your address. I was told by a DCA that if I contacted the CRA's they would remove the address, but that advice turned out to be nonsense, as I could not personally change or make a note on somebody elses credit record, without their permission.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

Thought it was best to offer this advice to everyone concerned as my husband has also been through exactly the same thing:

1. Contact your local magistrate office, and go and make a statutory declaration (it's free!!!). Be very nice to whoever you speak to. They are usually sympathetic and can give you a little more information about what the fine is for.

2. Send a letter of complaint to the named person below:

Vicky Savage Philips Collection Services (Bailiffs)

Faverdale industrial estate

Darlington Co Durham

DL3 0PH

3. Make copies of the statutory declaration & complaint letter in 2 above, as well as the letter received from the bailiffs and send it to the Central Accounting Office of the court in question, along with a letter explaining the situation.

4. You can search on google for the name of the court by typing in south west london magistrate court, or north east london magistrate court etc. We found more details of south west london magistrate by visiting the 'lawontheweb' website.

Hope this helps?

PS: I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THIS COMPANY ARE STILL IN OPERATION, GIVEN THAT THEIR PROCESSES ARE 'DODGY'. WE NEED A CAMPAIGN TO STOP THIS AND CLEAR PEOPLE'S RECORDS OF ILLEGAL CONVICTIONS