• Tweets

• What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
    • he Fraser group own Robin park in Wigan. The CEO's email  is  [email protected]
    • Yes, it was, but in practice we've found time after time that judges will not rule against PPCs solely on the lack of PP.  They should - but they don't.  We include illegal signage in WSs, but more as a tactic to show the PPC up as spvis rather than in the hope that the judge will act on that one point alone. But sue them for what?  They haven't really done much apart from sending you stupid letters. Breach of GDPR?  It could be argued they knew you had Supremacy of Contact but it's a a long shot. Trespass to your vehicle?  I know someone on the Parking Prankster blog did that but it's one case out of thousands. Surely best to defy them and put the onus on them to sue you.  Make them carry the risk.  And if they finally do - smash them. If you want, I suppose you could have a laugh at the MA's expense.  Tell them about the criminality they have endorsed and give them 24 hours to have your tickets cancelled and have the signs removed - otherwise you will contact the council to start enforcement for breach of planning permission.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lloyds TSB : Lloyds taking me to court?????????? *** Discontinued ***

foxyflugel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4497 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wish they would talk in normal sentences!! One minute your hopes are lifted (in this case mine for your!!) and the next is quite negative sounding surmises! Does this mode of language get learned in law school and do they speak it at home I wonder? I am still none the wiser as to the implecations of paragraph 75 or the last sentence where he ends......:???:

Hi Lou,

You will find after reading threads for a couple of year, things will start to make sense.

PT has been around here for a long time (in the nicest possible way) and has helped many on here so don't shoot the messenger! He may be of use to one day. :wink:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i am talking as clear as i can do

you cannot enforce on the back of a bad notice, this is what the case law tells us, btw Harrison was my case so i am fortunate to have the insight into that case too.

You have a bad notice, it cannot lead to enforcement

what more can i say? what more do you want me to say?

PT. generally, do you think that a cred should be made aware, at the earliest, that they have sent a 'bad notice'? or should it be reserved till later, if at all?

I think in circumstances where there is a live claim, then the defects will need to be pleaded within the defence

thanks. what if there is no claim as yet?

Hi Dotty!

I know and I appreciate expert advice such as that PT gives. It just gets a bit overwhelming sometimes and seems like one has to learn a foreign language!

Thank you PT and I would never shoot you!!:madgrin:

Hi Foxy, I'm not sure how useful this is but I'm sure others will say as to how relevent this argument might be dates would have to be checked.

You first sent a CCA request to Lloyds a year ago when you started to struggle with their demands of payment. You took general advice and wanted to ensure the agreement was all compliant so you would know how enforceable it was and if they could get a CCJ against you, which you were continually being threatened with for non payment at the amounts they requested. Even if you found it to be 'non-enforceable' you knew that you would still owe the money but would find a certain amount of control in the payments back, allowing you to cover living expenses and pay back what you could afford without the stress and worry when receiving letters threatening CCJ's (if found unenforceable would be empty threats therefore not as stressful to receive) as you were trying to empower yourself to take control, even if somewhat misguided at the time. (be honest with the judge).

They sent you a copy of current t&c's APR etc but nothing in relation to original agreement which is what CCA 78 is for, taken at face value to the average person. The standard practice, it appears after hearing about others in similar states of financial hardship making similar requests, is they interpret casey v HSBC 'sections' which is send information but NOT the original application/agreement stating they had now complied with section 78 with what they (lloyds) have decided 'fits' the scope.

The OFT state on a pdf on their website

( http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/OFT1266.pdf )

about a CCA request under sect. 78 the following:

What you should get

You should get a copy of your agreement. If it's hard to read, for example a bad photocopy, ask them to send you a better version. It doesn't have to be the document you signed, though if it isn’t, they should let you know. The paperwork should:

• tell you what your original agreement was, and if there were any changes made to it later

• include your name and address at the time you first signed the agreement, but it doesn't have to include your signature, or the date you signed it

• include the statements about your rights that were in the agreement you signed.

These were available but obviously not sent (show judge the crappy leaflet copies that were sent)

You followed up with a further request after receiving these saying it hadn't been fulfilled they responded by saying they will continue to look for a copy and will get back in touch within 8 weeks. This occurred again after the orignal 8 weeks for a further 8 week period? Still no copy of agreement/ application but every effort will continue. They did point out that taking the money and paying money back meant there would have been an agreement in place, and no card would have been issued without sight of one at the time.

There was never an issue of me saying no agreement (application in this case) existed, just that I would like a copy if one was available, as was my right as far as I was aware.

Now, after having to go to court you sent a CPR31.14 to SCM acting for Lloyds who in turn IMMEDIATELY are able to produce a copy of the application you had requested from Lloyds over a year ago.

The same application you requested and never received a year ago which would have allowed you to feel somewhat in control of your debt without then the threat of CCJ from Llooyds, or threat of bailiffs on your property at any given time from DCA's.

This only leads you to beleive that Lloyds have deliberately omitted information being sent to you that was available to them over a year ago giving cause for you (the average consumer) to choose a different transactional route. If a copy had been provided in the orignal request over 12months ago then, regardless of its enforecability made effort with some form of payments even if only token payments.

This, with Lloyds then sending information which could, in your view as the average consumer, mislead you into the same thinking.

This is, in your opinion is the same as if you were going back to a company to make a physical purchase of a product which would be in contradiction to the Consumer Protection of Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 sect 6 Misleading Omissions (1) (a),(b) and ©. with reference to para (2) (a), (3) (a),

plus possibly but perhaps lesser the section 5. Misleading Actions and relevent subsections.

Took me a while to think this through and could be a pointless arguement but am curious to hear anyones response on it.

Edited by Always Struggling

This will hopefully get the judge on-side and can't be used to get out of owing monies except to point out to the judge that had Lloyds been more accommodating in the first instance to your situation then you would have hoped to come to some kind of mutual arrangement in regards paying back monies owed along time ago. However, there actions not only hindered this process, it now transcends that Lloyds would appear to have broken certain regulations in regards to CPUTR2008 and you now look to the judge for guidance.

• Haha 1

Hi everyone

I have received the docs from my 31.14 request. They have sent me statements (1st one is dated 23/2/00??)

Then in the letter it says they have enclosed a reconstituted copy of my agreement and copy stats from Feb 2000. They dfraw my attention to Carey V HSBC where judge found that:-

- to comply with Sect 78 creditors may reconstitute agreements and not obliged to provide the original signed agreement (or have sight of original to reconstitute) so long as the recon is 'honest and accurate'.

- the recon copy shld contain the name and address of the debtor and, if app, the short form cancellation notice which appeared on the signed agreement.

It says - as per court ruling by Waksman "The debtor has a legitimate interest in seeing a copy of the agreement he signed, not in the sense of proof of execution but as info". Therefore we need only provide a "recon" copy of the original credit card agreement.

Then it goes on to say about the default notice datedc 29th June. ON 30th July \ formal demand letter was sent to me at the address on record - they have no copies of these docs as they are not retained and also no proof of postage - says something about Interpretation Act 1978.

Then they say that I failed to remedy the breach so a court claim was issued on 14th Feb through CCPC - the particulars of claim were kept to a minimum as only 1080 characters are allowed. They say about practice direction 7c 1.4(3A) whoch removes the requirement for copies of docs referred to in the POC to be attached for claims issued by CCPC.

They then say that whilst they await my defence they are instructed to advise me that the claimant is prepared to agree to settle the matter by Consent and if I am prepared to accept liability for the debt to telephone their office with my repayment proposals.

Any thoughts?? and what do I put in my defence?????????

Cheers everyone

Foxy :-(

Hi everyone

I have received the docs from my 31.14 request. They have sent me statements (1st one is dated 23/2/00??)

Then in the letter it says they have enclosed a reconstituted copy of my agreement and copy stats from Feb 2000. They dfraw my attention to Carey V HSBC where judge found that:-

- to comply with Sect 78 creditors may reconstitute agreements and not obliged to provide the original signed agreement (or have sight of original to reconstitute) so long as the recon is 'honest and accurate'.

- the recon copy shld contain the name and address of the debtor and, if app, the short form cancellation notice which appeared on the signed agreement.

It says - as per court ruling by Waksman "The debtor has a legitimate interest in seeing a copy of the agreement he signed, not in the sense of proof of execution but as info". Therefore we need only provide a "recon" copy of the original credit card agreement. Yes, in compliance with a s78 request that is correct, but for enforcement purposes, no.

Then it goes on to say about the default notice datedc 29th June. ON 30th July \ formal demand letter was sent to me at the address on record - they have no copies of these docs as they are not retained and also no proof of postage - says something about Interpretation Act 1978.

Then they say that I failed to remedy the breach so a court claim was issued on 14th Feb through CCPC - the particulars of claim were kept to a minimum as only 1080 characters are allowed. They say about practice direction 7c 1.4(3A) whoch removes the requirement for copies of docs referred to in the POC to be attached for claims issued by CCPC.

They then say that whilst they await my defence they are instructed to advise me that the claimant is prepared to agree to settle the matter by Consent and if I am prepared to accept liability for the debt to telephone their office with my repayment proposals.

Any thoughts?? and what do I put in my defence?????????

Cheers everyone

Good evening Foxy

As advised, para 75 of the Harrison v Link case, said Judgment does not permit the claimant to proceed to enforce, put that in your defence, you do not need tp put anything else as the lower courts are bound by the authority given by the High Court/Court of Appeal/Supreme Court.

Kind regards

The Mould

It looks to me that they were in breach of their s78 obligations for a while. Then as soon as they found the document you had been requesting, quite legally, they instigated legal proceedings.

the particulars of claim were kept to a minimum as only 1080 characters are allowed. They say about practice direction 7c 1.4(3A) whoch removes the requirement for copies of docs referred to in the POClink3.gif to be attached for claims issued by CCPC.

Even so, they should have provided the information requested at the earliest opportunity. What exactly do they say in the letter about the Interpretation Act 1978.. because it quite clearly states..

2. Under the Interpretation Act 1978 Section 7, it states:

Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression "serve" or the expressions "give" or "send" or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post."

2. Practice Direction

Service of Documents - First and Second Class Mail.

With effect from 16 April 1985 the Practice Direction issued on 30 July 1968 is hereby revoked and the following is substituted therefore.

1). Under S7 of the Interpretation Act 1978 service by post is deemed to have been effected, unless the contrary has been proved, at the time when the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.

2). To avoid uncertainty as to the date of service it will be taken (subject to proof to the contrary) that delivery in the ordinary course of post was effected:-

(a) in the case of first class mail, on the second working day after posting;

(b) in the case of second class mail, on the fourth working day after posting.

"Working days" are Monday to Friday, excluding any bank holiday.

3). Affidavits of service shall state whether the document was dispatched by first or second class mail. If this information is omitted it will be assumed that second class mail was used.

4). This direction is subject to the special provisions of RSC Order 10, rule 1(3) relating to the service of originating process.

8th March 1985

J R BICKFORD SMITH Senior Master

Queen's Bench Division

What points exactly are you going to defend this claim on ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi CB and thanks for your reply.

The Act is referring to the docs being posted so therefore deemed received.

Pt2537 said that they have sent me a bad DN (see previous) he has quoted a previous case.

Another thought that I had was - when they pass your account onto DCA (ie BLS collections) do they have to advise you of this as LTSB never did. Also, if they send you a bad DN - can this be corrected after they have served a formal demand (is this also called a termination notice)??

They sent me an application form which looks like a microfiche copy - but not sure if the T&Cs that came with it were on the back of the document. How do I get them to confirm this? would they do so?

Many thanks

Foxy :shock:

Hi CB and thanks for your reply.

The Act is referring to the docs being posted so therefore deemed received.

Pt2537 said that they have sent me a bad DN (see previous) he has quoted a previous case.

Another thought that I had was - when they pass your account onto DCA (ie BLS collections) do they have to advise you of this as LTSB never did. Also, if they send you a bad DN - can this be corrected after they have served a formal demand (is this also called a termination notice)??

They sent me an application form which looks like a microfiche copy - but not sure if the T&Cs that came with it were on the back of the document. How do I get them to confirm this? would they do so?

Many thanks

Foxy :shock:

Hi

Yes they can. This is what usually happens. The next sentence to the one quoted in the Harrison judgement confirms that bad notices can often be remedied by good ones.

The default termination is not valid if the default is inafective so the account is still live and thee is no reason another notice cannot be served.

Use the search facility on here and you will find lots of evidence to confirm this.

Peter

Hi

Yes they can. This is what usually happens. The next sentence to the one quoted in the Harrison judgement confirms that bad notices can often be remedied by good ones.

The default termination is not valid if the default is inafective so the account is still live and thee is no reason another notice cannot be served.

Use the search facility on here and you will find lots of evidence to confirm this.

Peter

The act does not say that the termination is ineffective if bad notice served Peter, the circumstances upon which a bad notice can be remedied by the service of a good notice has not been established.

Foxy, have a read of Patrick Brophy V. HFC Bank [2010] EWHC in respect of Application Forms.

Kind regards

The Mould

Peter - I have tried in vain to do searches and I never find what I am looking for - but it is not for the want of trying!!

Mould - thanks for your reply.

So that's it then -game over - I don't know how to word my defence (if I have one or a strong enough one). :violin:

Think I'm

:deadhorse:

Thanks

Lloyds TSB defaults are bad, they fail to contain the information required by schedule 2 para 10a of the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561)

Therefore the cannot be enforced without being remedied

Sorry to go away from the thread, pt if this is the case, what is the best way to deal with LTSB if they are farming your account out with these faulty DNs and have not yet started court? (Not in a position to offer a f&f etc)

Thank you

Lloyds TSB defaults are bad, they fail to contain the information required by schedule 2 para 10a of the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561)

Therefore the cannot be enforced without being remedied

Pt - would you be kind enough to pm me the wording that I should put on my defence.

Many thanks

Foxy :oops:

Pt - would you be kind enough to pm me the wording that I should put on my defence.

Many thanks

Foxy :oops:

If you intend to defend any claim you MUST research and fully understand the arguments you intend to rely up on.

Post your defence and others will comment and/or advice.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

Okay - that is a very valid point - thanks :!:

Can I just ask - if I state the bad notice in my defence - can they then serve a good notice on what is a terminated agreement?? Is the formal demand the termination?

Also, can I put in my defence that they failed to tell me that they had sent my account to a DCA?? - and also failed to supply me with a copy of my original agreement until I SARd them - claiming previosuly that they could not find it.

I also received a letter from **** solicitors today - enclosing my 'executed agreement' - which was a copy of the application form that I posted on here previously. The other one I received within my SAR documents - which there doesn't seem to be much of tbh.

Thanks in advance.

Foxy :wink: