TV licensing in student accommodation

Kim131
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4831 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure where to put this...

I live in halls of residence and my flat has been getting a lot of letters from the tv licencing people. When we got the first one addressed to the commual area (the kitchen is the only communal area) my flatmate said that she knew people who had received the same letter and to ignore it because nothing ever came of it. We left it but had another one when we got back from christmas, asking those who didn't need a licence to complete an online declaration and that if we needed a licence, to buy one or risk court proceedings. Letters then started to be addressed to individual rooms, and it seemed that they were only going to those that didn't have a licence for their room or hadn't responded to the other letter by declaring that they didn't need a licence. I thought that would be the end of the matter but now they've sent a letter saying we haven't responded (making out there were loads of letters when there were only two to the communal area) and they have no choice but to pursue the final stage of investigation and come round. It said on the bottom of the letter that we can still either pay for a licence or complete an online declaration, which is where I'm a bit unsure.

I would complete an online declaration form as I haven't been watching live TV in the kitchen, but I can't speak for anyone else. If I did that and they established that someone had been watching live TV in there, would I be committing an offence? Also, if they come round and find that someone's been watching TV in the kitchen, can they actually establish who it was? Any fines for the communal area from the university go to everyone but I don't want a fine off of the tv licencing people when I have a licence for my room and have only been watching live tv in my room.

If it is communal and assuming you don't own the building then I wouldnt worry about it.

The only time you need a license is if you watch TV in your flat behind your door, if not then no license is needed.

Read this site, it's very amusing and you will see that these threat letters are nothing to be concerned with http://www.bbctvlicence.com/

I live, during the week, in military mess accommodation, and TV Licencing consider each room as a separate dwelling - even though the Mess has a licence for the television in the communal tv room. I suspect that they will view student halls of residence in the same way.

I imagine that even the terminally dull Crapita will know that students do not have time to watch television, since they are either sleeping or throwing fire extinguishers at the police. :evil:

You are under no obligation to write and tell them anything and they are well aware of this, even if they did want to start legal action they would need people's names, you cant bring legal action against 'Room 4' for example, even then they normally only bring proceedings against someone who has been niave/foolish enough to admit watching tv/signing their form/telling them your name and address, I suspect your student accomadtion has some sort of security so the likelyhood of a 'TV Licence Officer' or whatever dumb name they call themselves these days actually getting anywhere near your room is very unlikely.

Andy

Your hall may already have a licence to cover communal areas. http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1/?WT.mc_id=r107

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

:wave:

I imagine that even the terminally dull Crapita will know that students do not have time to watch television, since they are either sleeping or throwing fire extinguishers at the police. :evil:

:jaw: That is giving terminally dull Crapita a touch of logic. :scared:

:rofl::bounce::rofl:

:wave:

dk

n this digital age we should have the option to subscribe to the BBC rather than be forced to pay for it, especially since my American friends seem to have watched everything I ever have on the BBC! If it were any other company it would be an outrageous [problem].

When i was at uni you were covered by your parent's tv licence, so long as the tv was defined as portable and in your own room.

With regard to iplayer etc- you do not need a licence unless the broadcast is live- dunno if you can argue that the latency online means there is a slight delay and thus not live- mind you the same could apply to the delay in digital or BBC over sattelite....

When i was at uni you were covered by your parent's tv licence, so long as the tv was defined as portable and in your own room.

With regard to iplayer etc- you do not need a licence unless the broadcast is live- dunno if you can argue that the latency online means there is a slight delay and thus not live- mind you the same could apply to the delay in digital or BBC over sattelite....

Yep..The TV has to be battery powered, the latency excuse has been dismissed before, I believe they use the comments live or almost live somewhere, but people are of course free to use the catch up service without a licence.

Andy